Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Passenger plane lands safely - in the wrong country - Israel National News

Passengers who found themselves in a Scottish city Monday had expected to land in Dusseldorf, Germany, flight BA 3271’s listed destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 05:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I know, right? I laughed and laughed first thing this morning.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:37 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
I find this odd.

When I fly, pilot always comes on the intercom early in the flight with some commentary that includes something about the destination. Like this:
"Ladies and gentleman, this is your pilot speaking. On behalf of Wrong Airport Airlines, I hope you will enjoy today's flight. There are no weather issue and it looks like we'll be arriving in Germany on time, about 55 minutes from now. It is sunny and 25C in Dusseldorf. On the off chance that I actually put this bird down in the right country, you'll be enjoying the weather in a little more than an hour. Thank you again for choosing Wrong Airport Airlines today."

Either the pilot was the silent type, or no one noticed?

Also, no one noticed that they didn't fly over water (the route from London to Dusseldorf passes over the southern North Sea, or northern English Channel if you prefer - London to Edinburgh remains entirely over Britain)?

Weird.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:14 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, right? I laughed and laughed first thing this morning.
Same here. I do kind of feel bad for the passengers, but find it hilarious none the less.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
A real goof that thankfully caused to threat to the passanger.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:31 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I find this odd.

When I fly, pilot always comes on the intercom early in the flight with some commentary that includes something about the destination. Like this:
"Ladies and gentleman, this is your pilot speaking. On behalf of Wrong Airport Airlines, I hope you will enjoy today's flight. There are no weather issue and it looks like we'll be arriving in Germany on time, about 55 minutes from now. It is sunny and 25C in Dusseldorf. On the off chance that I actually put this bird down in the right country, you'll be enjoying the weather in a little more than an hour. Thank you again for choosing Wrong Airport Airlines today."

Also, no one noticed that they didn't fly over water (the route from London to Dusseldorf passes over the southern North Sea, or northern English Channel if you prefer - London to Edinburgh remains entirely over Britain)?

Weird.
Understandable, especially if there was and cloud cover on the route. That, and passenger jets fly high enough that you rarely no what you're flying over anyway.

Time will tell, but I suspect this will be a case of a computer navigation error, human input error, or both. I see extensive re-training, and numerous jokes, in these pilot's future.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:17 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I find this odd.

Weird.
I share your bemusement Hulsker, I’ve flown London City to Düsseldorf a couple of times over the years, and the outbound leg follows the Thames for some 30 miles from the airport to the Thames Estuary, thence across the North Sea, and if the clouds are not too low, you can see where the Estuary opens up, and the North Sea starts.
As you say, the captain, or first officer, will give a spiel about making landfall near Ostend, flying over Brussels or Antwerp, arriving at Düsseldorf at X time.
There used to be an old joke about B.A., completely undeserved in my opinion, “Breakfast in London, dinner in New York, luggage in Cairo.”
I could have understood this happening if it had been Ryanair, the Spirit Airlines of U.K., they are notorious for advertising flights to big cities in Europe, but they make deals with old disused military airfields or remote ones, way out in the boonies, lengthy bus rides into downtown.
I had to get to Stockholm in a hurry once, and took a Ryanair flight, big mistake, I swear it landed nearer to Finland than Stockholm, it was over an hour on a bus to get to the city.
To get back to the B.A. flight, that pilot must have had enough egg on his face, to make a giant omelette for all the passengers.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Thankfully, they didn't land in Afghanistan, Syria, N. Korea...

Old 03-28-2019, 10:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thankfully, they didn't land in Afghanistan, Syria, N. Korea...
Doubt it had enough fuel to do so. British Airways may want to re-look who they subcontract to is it was flown by China Northern Airlines.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:57 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Understandable, especially if there was and cloud cover on the route. That, and passenger jets fly high enough that you rarely no what you're flying over anyway.

Time will tell, but I suspect this will be a case of a computer navigation error, human input error, or both. I see extensive re-training, and numerous jokes, in these pilot's future.
Uh... no.

Even at cruising altitude, I can tell whether I'm over agricultural land or forest or desert. It's obvious at a mere glance, to say nothing of the difference between being over water and land.

But London is close to the Channel, and on a flight between LCY and DUS an airliner is nowhere near cruising altitude before it is over open water. Anyway, at 8:00 Monday morning - 15 minutes after this flight took off - archived satellite images show the southeastern 1/3rd of Britain to be under clear skies, with only scattered clouds all the way up to western Scotland. So that wasn't the issue.

Not a single passenger noticed that they never passed over the ocean. That's odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events