Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times

Advertisements

Not sure whether to cheer that they're doing these types of things or shake my head that there's a NEED to do these types of things.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/adulti...wnups/27757505

Edit - I will say that some of the things in there are without question worthwhile. I'd say many people would benefit from the "How to change a tire" part. Both male and female. When I first got a truck and had to change my tire, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to put the 4 sections of tire iron together to lower the spare..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:47 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
used to be called "Home Ec"?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post

Eh.. I took that back in the 80's. More cooking.. Garment repair.. Learned how to tie a needle and thread and sew a button back on.. A skill I still use to this day.. Rarely, but..

I don't recall learning to balance a checkbook in Home Ec.. I think we handled that in one of the math classes. Not that I couldn't extrapolate what we learned in math to know how to do it anyway. And.. Not that I ever balanced my bank account anyway.. Just keep a running total in my head and it's pretty accurate.

I'd be curious to see what the curriculum of this class is..

Old 06-05-2019, 03:57 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
I'm not sure that these classes need to be tax-payer funded (and maybe they're not...)

I'm over 60 and I've NEVER changed a tire, even though my dad showed me and my siblings when I was about 17 or 18. I thought way back then "yeah...I'm not going to do that." And I've never ever had to. Change my oil? Pfft. I'll go to Jiffy Lube. Thanks.

Knowing how to balance a checkbook? Why? Nearly every teenager carries around a smart phone that can tell you the balance in your checking acount at any given moment. Is it REALLY the best use of tax dollars to teach that to a teenager? And if it must be taught, can't it be taught in math class?

Stuff like that. IMO, the best use of tax dollars for these teens is how to get the most use out of a smart phone, the best apps, and so on and so forth.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm not sure that these classes need to be tax-payer funded (and maybe they're not...)

I'm over 60 and I've NEVER changed a tire, even though my dad showed me and my siblings when I was about 17 or 18. I thought way back then "yeah...I'm not going to do that." And I've never ever had to. Change my oil? Pfft. I'll go to Jiffy Lube. Thanks.

Knowing how to balance a checkbook? Why? Nearly every teenager carries around a smart phone that can tell you the balance in your checking acount at any given moment. Is it REALLY the best use of tax dollars to teach that to a teenager? And if it must be taught, can't it be taught in math class?

Not changing your oil, checking it. Which yes, everyone should know how to do seeing as if you don't have oil in your car you won't have a car for long. Changing a tire.. Sure, we all say "Ah, I have Triple A" or roadside assistance or whatever.. Until you're out in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception at 2am with a flat tire.

Bank account balancing.. Yeah.. Something of a dying thing. Didn't say the class taught it.. I brought that up when discussing Home Ec.

Quote:

Stuff like that. IMO, the best use of tax dollars for these teens is how to get the most use out of a smart phone, the best apps, and so on and so forth.
Yeah.. Spend the tax dollars on the ONE thing that today's high school senior knows how to do perfectly.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:28 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Changing a tire.. Sure, we all say "Ah, I have Triple A" or roadside assistance or whatever.. Until you're out in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception at 2am with a flat tire.
I can't think of any reason why I would ever be in the middle of nowhere at 2am (or anywhere other than my bed at 2am for that matter). And these days I'd have to work really really really hard to find someplace with no cell reception.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
But without the sewing part. I taught my son sewing. Told him he will need that skill once he's on his own. He had girlfriends bringing their stuff over because they didn't know how to sew.

As far as cars..I've had AAA since I don't remember when.
For me it's gas, air in tire, windshield wiper fluid.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I hate the term "adulting" which, in itself is juvenile and thus misses the point (or maybe it makes it?), but I think this is a good idea assuming the skills taught are useful, real world skills. Like how to make a budget, how to plan a weeks worth of balanced meals for cheap, how to fix simple things around the house, basic auto maintenance, etc.

I also agree that much of what I can assume the curriculum would consist of are things that used to be taught in Home Ec and Shop, programs that no one complained about paying taxes to support up until the '90s when such things were cut from schools.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:13 PM

2,848 posts, read 4,518,215 times
it only takes 3 days to learn how to be an adult? woah

Old 06-05-2019, 05:14 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,243 times
What about Adulting Entertainment 101?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events