Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 06:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,427,674 times

Advertisements

The squirrels on my mail route don’t look at me as good but if I don’t have any nuts for them they get pretty aggressive.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think they’re becoming used to being around people and thus are losing any natural fear of humans (Just as bears near residential areas have lost their fear of humans) but I do not think they are looking at us as a food.
I don't see why humans would be exempt from the opportunistic feeding habits of most large sharks.

We know oceanic white tips absolutely see humans as food, as they are known to be attracted to disasters and chomp on the people.

They'll eat other non-marine mammals. They are often baited in by fish that are not normally part of their diet. Those great whites in the videos going after tuna heads so we can get nice pictures...? Tuna is not their normal diet.

Like land predators...opportunity for easy prey won't be passed up.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:53 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't see why humans would be exempt from the opportunistic feeding habits of most large sharks.

We know oceanic white tips absolutely see humans as food, as they are known to be attracted to disasters and chomp on the people.

They'll eat other non-marine mammals. They are often baited in by fish that are not normally part of their diet. Those great whites in the videos going after tuna heads so we can get nice pictures...? Tuna is not their normal diet.

Ok so why didn’t this shark eat her? He bit her a few times, enough to do fatal damage then left her and that’s why they had a whole person to take to the hospital.

“ it is thought that especially in shallower waters near shore, where smaller species such as blacktip and spinner sharks may go to feed on schools of smaller fish, many shark encounters occur out of simple confusion. The shark, hardwired to snap at anything looking remotely like a thrashing fish—such as a foot with a tanned top and paler bottom—may accidentally bite a human in the churned-up surf of a crowded beach. In most cases, these types of encounters consist of a single bite, after which the shark flees.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bri...-sharks-attack

Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ok so why didn’t this shark eat her? He bit her a few times, enough to do fatal damage then left her and that’s why they had a whole person to take to the hospital.

“ it is thought that especially in shallower waters near shore, where smaller species such as blacktip and spinner sharks may go to feed on schools of smaller fish, many shark encounters occur out of simple confusion. The shark, hardwired to snap at anything looking remotely like a thrashing fish—such as a foot with a tanned top and paler bottom—may accidentally bite a human in the churned-up surf of a crowded beach. In most cases, these types of encounters consist of a single bite, after which the shark flees.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bri...-sharks-attack
We're not talking about small sharks like black tips and spinners.
We're not on their menu bc we are too big.
You're mixing up topics.

How do we know they wouldn't have eaten her? Three different sharks chomped on her - they didn't all likely "mistake her identity."

The tiger in the Galapagos DID keep trying to eat that lady...the dive master was having to fight it off.

Tigers eat birds, turtles, fish, sharks...anything.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:57 AM

6,740 posts, read 4,430,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
No, stay out of the water and they will leave you alone. I never researched shark finning until now. It made me physically ill. The evilness of our species is too much for me anymore.

I saw an interview once with Steven Spielberg after making the movie Jaws, about going to the beach and swimming. He said he just cant go in, adding he said, " they know im here ''.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:32 AM

6,822 posts, read 4,272,827 times
Sharks are the pitbulls of the sea. Monsters to some, harmless lovable creatures to others. Truth is most certainly in the middle.

Main difference, of course, is that it's pretty easy most of the time to avoid sharks while pitbulls are seemingly all over the place.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:29 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,121,812 times
Quote:

Sharks don't eat humans. It's a well documented fact.

Quote:
Teeth Like Hands

"Great whites are curious and investigative animals," said Martin. "That's what most people don't realize. When great whites bite something unfamiliar to them, whether a person or a crab pot, they're looking for tactile evidence about what it is."

The Taste Test

If sharks bite to figure out the nature of various objects, then why do they usually spit out people rather than adding them to the menu?

"They spit us out because we're too bony," said Martin.

Great whites have extremely slow digestive tracts; if they eat something less than optimal, it slows down their digestive tract for days, prohibiting them from eating other things. "That makes them selective about what they eat," said Klimley.

"What we need to remember is that if great whites really liked to eat people, there would be a lot more fatalities," said Collier. "And I wouldn't interview so many survivors."
Great White Shark Attacks_ Defanging the Myths

Old 06-30-2019, 03:51 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,642,745 times
Sharks LOVE gorging on meat................does it really matter the source!?!?!?!

Old 06-30-2019, 03:58 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,128,155 times
Quote:
Tigers are pretty indiscriminate hunters. There have also been several shark attacks where the sharks keep coming back and bystanders have to fend them off. They are clearly interested.

Caribbean water overall (and I have only been to Honduras (islands), Jamaica, Caymans, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, and PR multiple times) is pretty darn clear.

Sharks have sophisticated visual, olfactory, and electrical sensing systems.

Highly sophisticated.

This rubbish we tell ourselves about mistaken identity may be so that a. We feel better and/or b. "Revenge" against the animals is mitigated.

It's a good enough story bc who can actually ask the sharks?

As for accounts where the GW bit and released...this is often how they actually hunt. They are ambush predators and a lot of their prey is effin dangerous (consider a 3000 pound elephant seal). Incapacitate, wait, finish off.

This is so sad. With all the shark baiting that goes on around the Bahamas and the fact that they have a huge population (over 40 species) of sharks in that area, I can't help but agree the animals are becoming habituated.
Yes. Sharks are highly advanced predators who rely on their sophisticated systems to navigate their world. To deny their superior hunting skills is ridiculous. An attack on a human is no accident. Many times juvenile sharks are responsible because they are not yet skilled hunters and will attack easy prey. Some attacks are based on aggression more than hunger.

Oceanic white tip, GW, Bull, Tiger, and Galapagos sharks are known for their aggression towards people. Sharks do not fear people. Nor do bears. Neither is usually interested in an attack unless there is some provocation of sorts. Hunger and the appearance of easy prey can most certainly instigate an attack.

A starving person will eat a lot of things that are not normally in their diet. "Naked and Afraid" attests to that fact. Marine animals have the same biological urge to be indiscriminate when hungry/starving.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:33 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,082,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, 65 attacks in ten years, with millions upon millions of people in the water over those years, is pretty damn rare.

Now, if only 100 people went in the water per year, you would be right, it would not be rare.

There is far more danger getting to the ocean, than being in it. There is far more danger of other events killing or injuring a person in the ocean than a shark attack.
exactly. I do "riskier" things on the daily, that's just how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events