Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 10:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think probably people get better produce for the price of lesser produce sometimes - I think it's happened to me before, accidentally. Broccoli crowns, or bunch of broccoli? Who knows? I'm not going to call the checker over to ask what my produce is. Extra large avocados vs. large?

Sweet onion vs. white onion? Organic vs not organic?

It would be hard to get an item out of the store that you didn't scan or pay for AT ALL, though, and I think that would set off the sensors in cases of items that have bar codes.
How do you not know what you picked out at the grocery store? Seems odd that you would need a cashier to explain to you what you are buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 11:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Indeed. I select onions and it shows me a screen with 12 types of onions, 7 of which resemble what I've got. I just pick the one that sounds cheapest.
Why not pick the onion that you are actually buying? If you want the cheapest onions, get those from the produce section. Ringing up an item as something cheaper is still theft.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:15 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
The grocery business is an extremely low margin, hyper-competitive industry, none of them are breaking the bank by embracing technology and efficiency.
Oh please. Let's all cry for Walmart. They only made $500 billion last year. It's such a low profit margin. Let's all start using the self-checkout so we can help them get their profits over one trillion. Because the Walton family becoming trillionaires is so much more important than 2 million American jobs.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:24 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Or you could think of it as, they don't raise their prices as much as they would if they had to hire another person to do checkout?

I live in a self-gas-pumping state. I don't think of it as "I do a gas station employee's job for them," I think of it as, "I don't have to pay a higher price for gas to subsidize having someone to do it for me."
Living on the border of Washington and Oregon it does strike me as funny that the “full service” gas is cheaper than our self serve here. The difference in state taxes(.49 vs .34) make it so ours is still more expensive even after adding the attendant’s salary.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
The grocery business is an extremely low margin, hyper-competitive industry, none of them are breaking the bank by embracing technology and efficiency.

I'm quite doubtful that any significant percentage of the customers choosing self checkout are doing so to steal by purposely entering the wrong product, they are just trying to save time. If (when?) they had a way for a camera to recognize products so nothing had to be entered you'd probably find even more people using the self-checkout lanes.
Oh I strongly disagree, I work for a gas station/convenience store chain, its AMAZING how many people shoplift!! Alot of it is not even expensive product, I think people just like the idea of getting something for free and think they are 'sticking it to' some big corporate entity in the process!

Im not sure if grocery stores have contracts with their vendors anything like we do, but if thats the case, a good deal of this 'theft' is not even impacting the stores P&L. (we have a number of suppliers, in which the contract makes exceptions for a certain amount of 'shrink/loss', and even some, where the store doesnt loose a dime if products are stolen).

Our contracts with the major cigarette suppliers are written like this, we dont loose anything if cigs are stolen, its totally on the supplier, they are scan based products, so naturally, the store doesnt put alot of security into protecting cigs, or other products which are set up like this.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:35 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Living on the border of Washington and Oregon it does strike me as funny that the “full service” gas is cheaper than our self serve here. The difference in state taxes make it so ours is still more expensive even after adding the attendant’s salary.
There are reasons for that, and it has nothing to do with taxes. The first is the mistaken belief, that if you let these billion dollar corporations fire thousands of workers, they will be so grateful that they will start showering everybody with cheap gas. Which of course they don't. They keep the price the same or even raise it, and put the cost savings in their own pockets.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There are reasons for that, and it has nothing to do with taxes. The first is the mistaken belief, that if you let these billion dollar corporations fire thousands of workers, they will be so grateful that they will start showering everybody with cheap gas. Which of course they don't. They keep the price the same or even raise it, and put the cost savings in their own pockets.
I work for a large gas station/convenience store chain and I can honestly tell everyone here...gas stations are making MUCH more than a couple cents profit from every gallon of gas sold!!!

This myth was intentionally spread years ago, when gas got up to over $4. per gallon and stations were seeing retaliation and vandalism, from people who believed alot of this was just 'store profit'....turns out, they were right all along!

Old 07-28-2019, 02:55 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why not pick the onion that you are actually buying? If you want the cheapest onions, get those from the produce section. Ringing up an item as something cheaper is still theft.
If I knew which one it was, I'd pick it. However they have a bunch of onion pictures many of which look like what I have, so I don't know which one I'm supposed to pick. It's possible I'm picking something more expensive, they don't show the prices for each type with the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh I strongly disagree, I work for a gas station/convenience store chain, its AMAZING how many people shoplift!!
So because you experience theft regularly we can conclude that most people choose self checkout aisles so they can purposely put in the wrong product code to steal?

Still doubtful.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Oh please. Let's all cry for Walmart. They only made $500 billion last year. It's such a low profit margin.
If you think gross revenue is a reliable indicator of margins you don't understand how business works. Uber's revenue was 11 billion, how does that speak for their margins?

Quote:
Let's all start using the self-checkout so we can help them get their profits over one trillion. Because the Walton family becoming trillionaires is so much more important than 2 million American jobs.
Now you're confusing the founding family's net worth with operating margins.

If you were trying to refute the fact that the grocery business is small margin high competition you have failed miserably. You're good at posting smiley faces at least.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:12 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
This thread is about self-scanners being used by thieves to steal, yet those of us who express our annoyance with the self-scanning system are the ones being ridiculed by several CD commentators. Sad. No wonder most thieves are successful. Too many people are looking for trouble by looking elsewhere for troublemakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events