Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can definitely see and understand both sides on this, on one hand, its still theft, but then again, when you consider the volume, going thru self scanner checkouts, the stores are getting a heck of a deal...at our expense.
I'm curious, what does it cost YOU (general) to run your item past the scanner? Effort wise it's no more difficult to scan the item than it is to offload it onto the belt from your cart. Is it having to look up produce, is that the sticking point for so many people?
Quote:
I think probably people get better produce for the price of lesser produce sometimes - I think it's happened to me before, accidentally. Broccoli crowns, or bunch of broccoli? Who knows? I'm not going to call the checker over to ask what my produce is. Extra large avocados vs. large?

Sweet onion vs. white onion? Organic vs not organic?
Quote:
Indeed. I select onions and it shows me a screen with 12 types of onions, 7 of which resemble what I've got. I just pick the one that sounds cheapest.
Quote:
I don't know the difference between broccoli crowns, and bulk broccoli. Sorry. I'm not sure what variety apple I've chosen. Large grapefruit vs. grapefruit?

I'm sorry, when I'm in the grocery store getting my 70 items, I don't have the kind of bandwidth to notice whether the grapefruit I'm buying is a "large grapefruit" or a "grapefruit".
Bin signs. Produce stickers.

Not to mention the concept that an apple is an apple is an apple. Kind of like shopping for clothing, would that be a shirt is a shirt is a shirt so why bother to pay attention to the style, the brand, or the cost? I'm truly baffled as to why people pay so little attention to what they're doing sometimes.
It kills me when people can't be bothered to read. You have no idea whether you're ever overcharged for an item at the registers either? Must be nice to shop without any consideration for how much things cost, lol. I don't think that applies to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Cameras are everywhere (look around you next time), do you really think the stores aren’t aware of the petty thievery in the self-check lanes? It’s all factored in to the overhead expenses and shows up in the prices we pay.
That doesnt mean anyone is watching the footage though...in our stores, the only times footage is reviewed, is when we know a crime has taken place, they are mostly used as a deterrent to theft, the thief doesnt know there is no one monitoring the cams

Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Things change.
Once upon a time, you had to grow or make your own, then trade with others.
Centuries later, a store employee would take your list, gather everything, box it, and deliver it.
Next change, you gathered it all into your cart and the cashier rang it up and bagged it.
Then you had the option of scanning and bagging it all yourself.
Now, many stores will let you order online and will load the merchandise into your car at the curb, or even deliver it to your home.

So you've currently got at least three options. Why on earth are you whining about self check?

Old 07-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm curious, what does it cost YOU (general) to run your item past the scanner? Effort wise it's no more difficult to scan the item than it is to offload it onto the belt from your cart. Is it having to look up produce, is that the sticking point for so many people?
Bin signs. Produce stickers.

Not to mention the concept that an apple is an apple is an apple. Kind of like shopping for clothing, would that be a shirt is a shirt is a shirt so why bother to pay attention to the style, the brand, or the cost? I'm truly baffled as to why people pay so little attention to what they're doing sometimes.
It kills me when people can't be bothered to read. You have no idea whether you're ever overcharged for an item at the registers either? Must be nice to shop without any consideration for how much things cost, lol. I don't think that applies to most people.
Well, interestingly, I can usually tell you what the price is on an item. In some stores, if the item won't scan they have to go have it checked, I'll say, "if it matters, that item was 2.89", and I'm right. Almost always. But no, I'm sorry, I don't know that was a gala apple, but I do know they're $1.27 per pound, weekly special". I saw it on the sign over the apple bin.

Also, I often eat a donut while I'm shopping. If I have a clerk check out, I say I had a donut while I was shopping, and she types in some price.

When you try to do it with self-check out, you type in donut and it asks, classic or deluxe? I don't know. Neither does the clerk who checks me out, obviously, she doesn't ask what kind.

The problem is, and I maintain this is a problem with self-check - you often don't know what item you're buying, and have to guess among their selections, and I'd suspect customers often pick the lower priced item if they don't know which one it is.

P.S., I'm sorry this "kills" you. Seems like that might be an overreaction to other's shopping habits.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:31 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
P.S., I'm sorry this "kills" you. Seems like that might be an overreaction to other's shopping habits.
So you read prices but still don't know what you're buying. Signs are generally there for a reason, people who can't be bothered to pay attention to them often create problems for themselves and others. Why the heck would you ask a cashier to ring up a doughnut and not even know what kind you had? Is it that onerous to pay attention?

Old 07-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So you read prices but still don't know what you're buying. Signs are generally there for a reason, people who can't be bothered to pay attention to them often create problems for themselves and others. Why the heck would you ask a cashier to ring up a doughnut and not even know what kind you had? Is it that onerous to pay attention?
DubbleT, you're just being argumentative, now.

There is the donut display. It says donuts, 48 cents each. I take one and eat it.

If I have a cashier, I say I ate a donut, and she rings up 48 cents.

If I do a self-check, it asks whether I had a classic or deluxe donut and I don't have a chance to say I had a 48 cent one, and they were not marked classic or deluxe.

And I'm done. Nobody has time for this pettiness.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:39 AM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I was starting to think I was the only one who loves self checkout. As you said, it's faster, and I like to bag things the way I want them bagged.

There was a day that people went to the ol' Mercantile Store, or any store really, with their shopping list and all of the items were gathered from the back for the customer. I wonder if those people pitched a fit when the first "self gathering" stores came into business.

BTW, the first "self gathering" grocery store was Piggly Wiggly in 1916.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ore-180964708/
You're definitely not alone. My dad refuses to use self-checkout for the reasons cited above, e.g., "why should I do their jobs for them?" I'm the complete opposite -- MY TIME IS VALUABLE -- I want to get in/out as quickly as possible.

Time is money -- you can always figure out a way to make more $$, but those minutes on the clock are irreplaceable!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:48 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I work for a large gas station/convenience store chain and I can honestly tell everyone here...gas stations are making MUCH more than a couple cents profit from every gallon of gas sold!!!

This myth was intentionally spread years ago, when gas got up to over $4. per gallon and stations were seeing retaliation and vandalism, from people who believed alot of this was just 'store profit'....turns out, they were right all along!
Well, a Google search disagrees with this. Here's one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-gas...ow-oil-prices/

Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
You're definitely not alone. My dad refuses to use self-checkout for the reasons cited above, e.g., "why should I do their jobs for them?" I'm the complete opposite -- MY TIME IS VALUABLE -- I want to get in/out as quickly as possible.

Time is money -- you can always figure out a way to make more $$, but those minutes on the clock are irreplaceable!
Im always in a rush for time too, so I pick the fastest check out available when Im there, but I do see alot of people that simply refuse to use the self checkouts, many do so because they feel like if they use a human cashier, somehow this protects their job.

I still get stuck behind many people at the self checkouts that cannot seem to understand how they work, or always have some problem, which takes forever to work out!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:52 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
(in fact, I've never been in a store that didn't offer both self-checkout and traditional checkouts)
You have never shopped at a PUBLIX then. They have NO self-scanners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Actually, I've learned that "broccoli crowns" are the ones that are sold by the individual stalks; "broccoli" is grouped with 3 or four stalks, with a blue rubber band holding them together. Both have stalks that, if you aren't making soup, you just discard.
Wrong (again). A broccoli crown is just the floret on top of the stalk. No store sells individual stalks as crowns.

Tx2, you are killing it! Lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events