Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,878,826 times

Advertisements

Humor works best when you 'punch upwards' with a joke and are targeting someone who, within that context, has equal or higher status than the joke teller does. It just often comes across as meanness or bullying when the joke target is lower status than the teller.

In this case, the TSA employee is the person in the position of power who can make the target totally miserable entirely on her whim even if the target gives her zero reason for it. So not cool for her to play games with him and it also shows a lack of professionalism in her job so at the very least, she should be heavily sanctioned.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 AM

50,950 posts, read 36,646,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
It seems that whenever you can bring race into it, the story becomes that much better and more profitable.
If you didn’t just mention it I wouldn’t have known anything about their race. The mainstream media doesn’t report this stuff until it goes viral in social media.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Wow....what you posted is a perfect example of a "very specific opinion." I'm trying to wrap my head around how you came to all these definitive conclusions based on this story.

First, this incident had nothing to do with race and no I'm not white. Second, a sense of humor is highly subjective, open to interpretation and individualized. So maybe you would "laugh with this girl and zing at her" but that doesn't mean others would. I would be highly offended if I was handed a note like that. There is a reason that respect and civility is expected at work. Those two qualities transcend race, culture and are for the most part well defined. Therefore, if you practice those two things at work you will never get in trouble. But if you practice your personal sense of humor at work you have a chance of ending up like this stupid little girl who thought she was being "funny" with her silly note.
I agree with you completely. Who on earth would laugh when treated so unprofessionally by a law enforcement person? I highly doubt she was trying to share humor with him, how absurd to think so. She meant him to find the note later and not to know she did it of course. She was being mean not trying to be lighthearted.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with you completely. Who on earth would laugh when treated so unprofessionally by a law enforcement person? I highly doubt she was trying to share humor with him, how absurd to think so. She meant him to find the note later and not to know she did it of course. She was being mean not trying to be lighthearted.

No, she fully intended for him to open the note right away. She even yelled at him as he was walking away "Aren't you going to open it?" She wanted him to know it came from her. Not arguing that it was mean though. And stupid.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:37 AM

102,239 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Looks to me like he should have responded with a note to her, saying "You FAT!" But he didn't have time.

Crazy stuff.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:40 AM

102,239 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Humor works best when you 'punch upwards' with a joke and are targeting someone who, within that context, has equal or higher status than the joke teller does. It just often comes across as meanness or bullying when the joke target is lower status than the teller.

In this case, the TSA employee is the person in the position of power who can make the target totally miserable entirely on her whim even if the target gives her zero reason for it. So not cool for her to play games with him and it also shows a lack of professionalism in her job so at the very least, she should be heavily sanctioned.
Gee, ya think? Yeah, she just threw away her job, and will have trouble finding a new one in a related industry, because she won't get a positive reference from the one she just lost. The poor judgment is baffling. Apparently she thought she could get away with it, without repercussions.Reality check! Hopefully, she'll have trouble finding work in any customer-service-related arena.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:23 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,649,841 times
Note to her: "you unemployed".

Old 08-19-2019, 11:53 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,102,838 times
I'm laughing at all of the white people that were triggered by my comment.

I'm white too.

I'm saying that you can't joke like that with us. In general, we don't respond to that type of humor because your first consideration is that it's mean-spirited and unprofessional. I grew up in a diverse, non-white neighborhood. This isn't as mean-spirited as you think. She's being more flirtatious than she is being mean to the guy. Is at silly and unprofessional? Sure. But that's not the point. The point is that you generally can't joke like this with white people and this thread simply proves that.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post

I'm white too.

I'm saying that you can't joke like that with us. In general, we don't respond to that type of humor because your first consideration is that it's mean-spirited and unprofessional. I grew up in a diverse, non-white neighborhood. This isn't as mean-spirited as you think. She's being more flirtatious than she is being mean to the guy. Is at silly and unprofessional? Sure. But that's not the point. The point is that you generally can't joke like this with white people and this thread simply proves that.
I grew up in a "diverse, non-white neighborhood" too.

But I learned not to whitesplain "diverse" culture. Your comments are out of line no matter who you are.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post

I'm white too.

That is not at all true. I work with many black people (nursing home) am not uptight and we joke all the time. Not one would hand someone a note calling them ugly. Not one. By posting that you’re implying that this is somehow part of black culture to insult people. And then you defend it she was being “silly?” A TSA officer on the job is being silly instead of taking the job seriously, and we should not care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events