Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 09:07 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times

Advertisements

Truly scary, you just never know what kinds of psychos you can end up with. Apparently the date went well and all of a sudden he snapped inside the car and started beating her.

Jesus.

(And nope, this isn't an indictment against dating apps in general, just that you just never know).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-New-York.html

Quote:
A man who was accused by an Atlanta woman of savagely beating and threatening to kill her after meeting her on the dating app Hinge has been captured in New York.

Benjamin Pancher was arrested in Kent, New York, after a woman who was about to go on a date with him recognized his photo from social media and alerted the police.

His warrant charged him with kidnapping, false imprisonment and aggravated assault.

Fancher, 31, has waived an extradition hearing and is expected to be returned to Atlanta by November 25 to face the criminal charges stemming from his alleged attack on his Atlanta date, Brittany Correri, last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 09:38 AM

50,883 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Truly scary, you just never know what kinds of psychos you can end up with. Apparently the date went well and all of a sudden he snapped inside the car and started beating her.

Jesus.

(And nope, this isn't an indictment against dating apps in general, just that you just never know).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-New-York.html
That's awful and I'm glad they found him! I did online dating for years but never got in my dates car on first dates or until I knew them more. I had one guy while at dinner try to cajole me to get in his car to go for ice cream afterward and I said no, then he started on this diatribe about how uptight American women are (he was from an Eastern European country). First and last date.

Had another where the guy over first date dinner asked me if I'd "go for a ride" with him after dinner. Ummm, no thanks. WTH does that even mean?

However when I was young in 80's, I used to get in cars with people I just met in bars. Young people make stupid mistakes, and anyone can be dangerous no matter where you meet them. Heck, I used to hitchhike as a teen.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:15 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,730,645 times
The look on that guy's face in his mugshot is pretty scary. Maybe they need to change the name of that dating site to UnHinge.

Old 11-27-2020, 01:20 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Stories like these are why online dating/apps will always be viewed as "weird/unnatural/taboo" no matter how mainstream they've become.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Stories like these are why online dating/apps will always be viewed as "weird/unnatural/taboo" no matter how mainstream they've become.
How is it any different than back in the 80's when I met a guy in a bar? You don't know who anyone is when you meet them. Just be smart and don't get in a car or go anywhere not public till you know them.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:06 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How is it any different than back in the 80's when I met a guy in a bar? You don't know who anyone is when you meet them. Just be smart and don't get in a car or go anywhere not public till you know them.
If you meet someone in-person, even at a bar, there is the ability to get some sense of their personality and any non-verbal queues. It's definitely not full-proof, but if the guy you meet is alone and you get a certain vibe or if he is with friends and his friends seem like really nice people, etc. Bottom line is that you can gage more from meeting people in-person vs online.

Now I'm not saying this wouldn't have happened if they met in person.

I'm just answering your question of how meeting someone online/app is different than meeting someone in a bar. The person you meet online could be a different height, look completely different, etc. You know for certain the looks of someone you meet at a bar and can better gage their personality. I'm also not saying there's anything wrong with meeting someone online, just that it does carry a stigma for some people (fairly or unfairly).

Old 11-27-2020, 08:16 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's awful and I'm glad they found him! I did online dating for years but never got in my dates car on first dates or until I knew them more. I had one guy while at dinner try to cajole me to get in his car to go for ice cream afterward and I said no, then he started on this diatribe about how uptight American women are (he was from an Eastern European country). First and last date.

Had another where the guy over first date dinner asked me if I'd "go for a ride" with him after dinner. Ummm, no thanks. WTH does that even mean?

However when I was young in 80's, I used to get in cars with people I just met in bars. Young people make stupid mistakes, and anyone can be dangerous no matter where you meet them. Heck, I used to hitchhike as a teen.
I was about 5 when I saw a guy playing with himself at the corner near my house in North Jersey. I think that kind of stayed with me. I never hitched alone, always with a pack of 3 to 5 before I got my moped at 15. I used to carry a blade when working by myself at my dad's gas station.

I was the one who always had a car and used to drive on "dates". I had one new BF flip out on me, swung at me a few times cause he was drunk. He ended up breaking my wind shield wiper off my Mustang 2, I had to find a used motor at the junk yard. Pretty sure I left him at the bar after that.

These days you have to be crazy to get in a car with someone you don't know because we know it's getting pretty common that there are sicko's out there.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:56 AM

91 posts, read 76,782 times
I wish we had a system in place where scum like this would get a beating as part of his sentence.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
If you meet someone in-person, even at a bar, there is the ability to get some sense of their personality and any non-verbal queues. It's definitely not full-proof, but if the guy you meet is alone and you get a certain vibe or if he is with friends and his friends seem like really nice people, etc. Bottom line is that you can gage more from meeting people in-person vs online.

Now I'm not saying this wouldn't have happened if they met in person.

I'm just answering your question of how meeting someone online/app is different than meeting someone in a bar. The person you meet online could be a different height, look completely different, etc. You know for certain the looks of someone you meet at a bar and can better gage their personality. I'm also not saying there's anything wrong with meeting someone online, just that it does carry a stigma for some people (fairly or unfairly).
Yes I agree, but this is why you only meet in public spots early on. And I really don’t agree that you can tell in person. Sociopaths are usually charming and fit in well. I might have gotten in Ted Bundy’s car back then. He was handsome, well-spoken and even worked for the Seattle Crime Prevention Bureau. He wrote their pamphlet on rape prevention.

Now believe me I met plenty of guys who gave me the creeps or seemed weird, or too pushy for comfort. But those guys were easy to see that in, they weren’t charming, they were obnoxious or just plain weird. But my first meets were short, cup of coffee or s drink, an hour tops. So I’d just get through the half hour politely and didn’t date them again. I never corresponded with anyone too far to meet me for 30 minutes easily.

I never had any fearful experiences or guys who stalked me or anything, in 12 or so years on and off dating online.

However in my early 20’s, I worked with a man who became obsessed with me, kept dropping gifts off at my doorstep and a neighbor called to tell me he drove past my house for an hour. That was scary, and I was lucky he stopped when I told him I called the police (I didn’t). He was a very nice and polite guy, up until he got scary.

So it really can be anyone anywhere. Online dating is not any more unsafe than meeting a stranger anywhere, if you do it safely. Don’t correspond for months (you start to think you’re getting to know them, it’s not the case in my experience. That’s when you let your guard down. Meet in public, don’t get in each other’s car. Make sure someone knows where you’re going. Standard safety that applies to meeting strangers anywhere.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was about 5 when I saw a guy playing with himself at the corner near my house in North Jersey. I think that kind of stayed with me. I never hitched alone, always with a pack of 3 to 5 before I got my moped at 15. I used to carry a blade when working by myself at my dad's gas station.

I was the one who always had a car and used to drive on "dates". I had one new BF flip out on me, swung at me a few times cause he was drunk. He ended up breaking my wind shield wiper off my Mustang 2, I had to find a used motor at the junk yard. Pretty sure I left him at the bar after that.

These days you have to be crazy to get in a car with someone you don't know because we know it's getting pretty common that there are sicko's out there.
I had the same experience except it wasn’t a stranger, it was a neighbor, and he was doing it in front of me deliberately, several times, starting when I was about 7. I think my best friends mom knew he was a perv, cause she once told us not to go there by ourselves (they were related). People didn’t talk about stuff like that then. It would have been embarrassing and even scandalous to make it public then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events