Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:33 PM

32,765 posts, read 48,508,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
............. its neither a person or a person's property. im not sure exactly how harming it would legitimately cross the law.........
I have no idea what the law is in London, but where I am, it is extremely against the law to allow dogs to harass wildlife. A dog harassing wildlife can be shot on sight.

In the USA, seals are protected under the marine mammal act. The Brits have some stiff laws protecting wildlife and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is against the law to kill seals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,106,148 times
sad, will they put down the canine culprit?

Old 03-23-2021, 10:50 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,454,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Bad analogy. Mice aren't very well liked or respected in our society, so if a cat kills one or a dozen mice, most people wouldn't care at all. In fact, most people would be thankful.

OTOH, a dog that's a killer of other animals is rather frowned upon in our society. There's also reason to suspect that a dog that would attack an animal that isn't bothering them might also attack a human. That definitely IS frowned upon. So, IMO, euthanizing the dog and fining the owner seems a reasonable response to what happened. Why wait til the dog kills a kid to decide that it's a dangerous dog?
Lol, the likability of the animal killed has zero to do with it. An animal is an animal period. Cats kill animals, and dogs, by nature of being omnivore, kill animals also, it is a genetic trait. Sure, can train them out of it, breed them to minimize it, but at the end of the day, a trigger is a trigger, prey is prey.

But in this case, we do not even know if the dog attacked the seal in the context of anger or hunting, he could have been playing with it, thought it was something to grab, he could have thought he was defending himself or his owner, etc.

The owner should be the one put down if any living thing is going to be.

I had a dog years ago that would kill rabbits and birds, so, suppose to kill my dog because of that? It was his natural prey.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:52 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,454,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I have no idea what the law is in London, but where I am, it is extremely against the law to allow dogs to harass wildlife. A dog harassing wildlife can be shot on sight.

In the USA, seals are protected under the marine mammal act. The Brits have some stiff laws protecting wildlife and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is against the law to kill seals.
I imagine if someone whipped out a gun in London and shot the dog, that person would be in pretty big trouble, lol.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:18 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,009,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

i dont see much detail in the article of what exactly happened.
True.

And there appears to be a leash in the picture attached to the woman. Maybe the dog was on a leash.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:34 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,265,084 times
Quote:

Im not sure what law they are pursuing as none of the articles said so and I read a few trying to figure it out. But at the minimum, if the dog was off leash in a leash area and then attacked the seal, the owner was in breach of at minimum 1 law and possibly more. From my understanding the UK also has very strict leash laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
True.

And there appears to be a leash in the picture attached to the woman. Maybe the dog was on a leash.
An article I saw said she took her dog off the leash then it ran down the beach. Most likely she thought she had her dog under control until her dog sighted something and stopped listening.

As for the people who are saying to put the dog down, I dont agree with that. The dog didnt attack a person, it followed its instincts and went after an animal. This is wholly the owners fault and if the owner broke the law they should have to answer for that. I would think damages to the wildlife rescue that cared for the animal should be sufficient

Old 03-24-2021, 05:44 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,609,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Sad. People are supposed to keep their dogs under control..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...onward-journey

The vast majority of dog owners in U.K. will keep their dogs under control by having them on a lead, (you don’t often hear the word leash in U.K.), the law is as follows;
“There is no blanket law requiring dogs to be kept on a lead in all public spaces, however there are a series of orders that mean you have to leash your dog in certain places in your local area, for example children's play areas, sports pitches, roads, parks, and beaches.”
Unfortunately there are a minority of anti-social chavs who take delight in ignoring all laws, and they will allow their dogs to run loose, and encourage them to chase squirrels, cats, and pigeons.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:00 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,514,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lol, the likability of the animal killed has zero to do with it. An animal is an animal period. Cats kill animals, and dogs, by nature of being omnivore, kill animals also, it is a genetic trait. Sure, can train them out of it, breed them to minimize it, but at the end of the day, a trigger is a trigger, prey is prey.

But in this case, we do not even know if the dog attacked the seal in the context of anger or hunting, he could have been playing with it, thought it was something to grab, he could have thought he was defending himself or his owner, etc.

The owner should be the one put down if any living thing is going to be.

I had a dog years ago that would kill rabbits and birds, so, suppose to kill my dog because of that? It was his natural prey.
If that's the dog's idea of playing, he's got no business running around in public without a muzzle and leash.

Besides, had he been properly handled by his owner, this wouldn't have happened. It's amazing how all the dog owners jump in to defend this dog.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:24 AM

36,863 posts, read 31,147,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If that's the dog's idea of playing, he's got no business running around in public without a muzzle and leash.

Besides, had he been properly handled by his owner, this wouldn't have happened. It's amazing how all the dog owners jump in to defend this dog.
Probably because its a dog and what it did is a dogs nature. As pet owners we are the ones responsible for not letting nature take its course.

I'll assume many are accustomed to lap dogs and perhaps "city" dogs and dont realize many dogs and dog breeds are working dogs and what was bred into them to do their "job" still remains.

I have two coon hounds. They are the biggest McLovins' I've ever had but they are also killers. Thats what they do, chase, tree, kill or sometimes just chase and kill. I keep it under control for the most part with shock collars. Even so, given the opportunity they would attack wildlife or cats. Its my responsibility to keep them from doing so. I also have two shepherds who are not driven to chase and kill. One hates cats though. And I have a mutt who wouldn't expend the energy to chase something if his life depended on it.

So yeah, I blame the owner and give the dog a pass.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:31 AM

36,863 posts, read 31,147,512 times
Quote:
It doesn't look like a pit to me either. Some sort of terrier mixed breed.

But any breed can attack wildlife. Irresponsible owners don't care. How many people do you know who let their dogs chase squirrels and think it is great fun?

In the United States, the seal would have been taken to an animal hospital, given surgery, and placed with a wildlife rescue to recuperate. He'd be back on the beach in a few months.
They didn't think he would ever be able to be back on the beach due to the extent of the injuries but I'd bet here in the US, he would have had the extensive surgery and been cared for the rest of his natural life.

I know a lot of people who have had squirrel and rabbit dogs and thought it great fun to use them to tree the squirrels and flush the rabbits so they could shoot them.

Isn't the UK big on fox hunting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events