Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 01:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I guess the powers that be would rather you shot each other.
Are they illegal to own or illegal to buy in NY?
I'm considering buying a stun gun. I texted my brother for suggestions.
I could carry but I think that is overkill and I probably should not, I cant even keep up with my keys.
It takes forever to get a pistol permit in NYS. Even if you get one, you need an additional permit (Conceal Carry Permit) to carry it on your person. I'd rather carry a stun gun, but NYS has banned them.

We have a .20 shotgun for home defense, and we're both members at the local gun club. Neither of us wants to carry a pistol in public, so we don't apply for the permits. Carrying a pistol is a huge responsibility. In an attack like the Walmart attempted rape, I'd rather have a boxcutter or knife because there's less chance of killing a bystander.

In this case, a stun gun would have been perfect for self-defense, but NYS would have arrested the woman for using it on her attacker. NYS would probably put her in the guillotine for having a knuckle blade at the ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 01:29 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
My gawd, not in the best part of town, but still everyone deserves the right to shop in safety.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It takes forever to get a pistol permit in NYS. Even if you get one, you need an additional permit (Conceal Carry Permit) to carry it on your person. I'd rather carry a stun gun, but NYS has banned them.

We have a .20 shotgun for home defense, and we're both members at the local gun club. Neither of us wants to carry a pistol in public, so we don't apply for the permits. Carrying a pistol is a huge responsibility. In an attack like the Walmart attempted rape, I'd rather have a boxcutter or knife because there's less chance of killing a bystander.

In this case, a stun gun would have been perfect for self-defense, but NYS would have arrested the woman for using it on her attacker. NYS would probably put her in the guillotine for having a knuckle blade at the ready.
What I'm thankful for today: I dont live in NY. Or Florida.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:55 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
He'll plead out.
That should make the courts happy. Not waste tax money for prison or trial. He'll go on probation and maybe even find his calling in ' customer relations'.

Hope that LADY files a civil suit against that assailant.

But hey this is Florida , maybe the guy will sue her and win. After all, he was standing his ground!!! ( Sarcasm)

Old 03-23-2022, 02:54 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
The way things are now you hurt one of those guys enough and you'll be in as much trouble as some police are when they try to subdue drugged, crazy people! Carry even a legal weapon and they'll argue you deliberately had plans to go out and hurt someone with it.

It's hard for a normal person to believe but under the influence of some of the drugs people are using today a stun gun will have no effect. They just keep coming. I've seen it documented more than a few times in medical records.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:14 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
$50,000 bond? Excuse me?

Once you have served notice upon society that you are no longer fit to live among civilized members, you have forfeited your right to freedom, forever. This savage should be locked up, no bond, then be tried from the bench.

If free birth control could prevent the likes of this from being conceived and born into society, then subsequently raised by wolves, I am all for whatever form of a tax increase it would take to make it necessary. And, by nature, I am very fiscally conservative. Something like this is just too much for me to suffer, and general society shouldn't have to suffer it as well. Simply put, this animal shouldn't be breathing oxygen that other people could be breathing. Once you've lost the ability to leave your house and shop for goods and services without fear of attack, you've lost the glue that binds peaceable society together.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:37 PM

1,937 posts, read 700,911 times
This happened in Philly.

A few years ago, my niece was walking home after a night out with friends. Some creep followed her into her apt
bldg, pushed her against the wall and tried to rape her. She screamed her head off and luckily her landlord appeared
in the hall. He took off but was arrested a couple of days later. He had been featured on the Ring Network a few weeks
prior - trying to break into homes, cars and he harassed a few women. He has a record. This is what happened in court:

His Lawyer - he was raised by a single mother.
His Mother - he has some "mental issues" and the system failed him
The perp - "I have an addiction to weed"

His Baby Mama also appeared in court to show support. No personal responsibility. The female African American judge felt he was failed by the system and gave him 18 months in jail and said he wasn't allowed to go back to that neighborhood.

Careful Philly - he's back out there.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:43 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
He'll plead out.
That should make the courts happy. Not waste tax money for prison or trial. He'll go on probation and maybe even find his calling in ' customer relations'.

Hope that LADY files a civil suit against that assailant.

But hey this is Florida , maybe the guy will sue her and win. After all, he was standing his ground!!! ( Sarcasm)
He was already on probation for one crime and already out on bail for another charge (auto theft).

Old 03-23-2022, 03:44 PM

I just keep wondering who are these mayors, councilmembers, legislators, judges, lawyers, etc. who have gone overboard with reducing penalties. Is there a central source encouraging this and what is the desired outcome? What is there to gain for others who have to live in the States?

It's among the most self-destructive, idiotic movements I've seen yet in seventy-some years.

People argue that America has too many people locked up and want to compare America with other places. But we aren't other places. We have our own unique problems and should have begun a transition to other methods decades ago. Right now we are at the point that erasing everything and starting over is impossible without mayhem on our streets.

I know those at the top making the decisions can afford protection but why would anyone want to live anywhere where you have to have paid protection?

Old 03-23-2022, 04:03 PM

This happened to my daughter at 16 in small city MN. He, a teacher out drinking, attacked her on the street. Her teenaged friends tried to help her and she ran into a pizza place. He followed her and (no details I'm comfortable telling.) The owner told them to take it outside. Said later he thought they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Not one adult in the restaurant helped her.

When the police interviewed her they dismissed the victims assistant. "We won't need you."

The lawyer he bought told us he loved teens and went to church and his wife there stroking her pregnant belly like it was a get out of jail ticket.

He was sentenced to four weekends in jail so he could teach kids her age until the end of the year. I raised holy hell but met with resistance everywhere. The city attorney told me if I kept pushing they'd charge her friends with assault. I called the Attorney General and he was let go but nothing changed with the perp's sentence.

He violated the restraining order twice and the police told me to ignore it. His PO told me, "Don't worry. Next time he does it this will be on his record." But the charge was Disorderly Conduct.

Later I was able to trace his career by computer - about a year at each school and at one school if he would resign they wouldn't charge him. He now teaches at a college in Ft. Lauderdale. Florida Man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events