Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 11:17 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Hippo attacks on humans are virtually always defensive in nature because they are highly territorial and people keep encroaching on their turf, either to share the river to live or, increasingly now, as tourists (or poachers), but they don't seek out humans to harm and never eat them. Feral hogs, not so much!

The animals in this story aren't feral hogs - i.e. domestic pigs that escaped human captivity - but wild boar. A native wildlife species in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 12:58 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

...But the feral pigs in Texas are putrid. They have no choice cuts.
Like giant rats, I suppose. Their diet is probably unmentionable...

Old 06-20-2022, 01:16 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Like giant rats, I suppose. Their diet is probably unmentionable...
Depends on where they live. The hogs on my friend's ranch are pretty tasty, but they eat a lot of acorns, pecans, wild onions, and wild garlic.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I went on a pig hunt on the Big Island once back in the late 70s. We used dogs and .44 lever-action carbines. That was a heck of an experience, in that it was physically rigorous chasing the dogs chasing a pig through the brush (to be honest: jungle), and then trying to get a bead on the pig while exhausted and trying to catch my breath...before the pig decided to take out one of the dogs and make a break for it. You get a shot at the pig, then the pig gets a shot at you.

I've watched guys on Oahu take on a pig with net and knife...too sporting for my blood.

But the feral pigs in Texas are putrid. They have no choice cuts.
Some folks hunt Wild Boar by sitting up in a tree, when it is known they are in the neighborhood...

Old 06-20-2022, 01:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The animals in this story aren't feral hogs - i.e. domestic pigs that escaped human captivity - but wild boar. A native wildlife species in Europe.
Granted; but they're also predatory meat-eaters.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
what is that Hannibal movie where a guy in wheelchair is pushed into a pit full of hungry pigs ?
It is interesting we eat pork and beef and not realise pigs are carnivorus while cows are not .
Pigs also eat ic cream,Ben and Jerry will send their misfit icecream to pig farm,so do the LAS VEgas buffet leftovers.
Keeping a few pigs around to dispose of unwanted, hostile trespassers has crossed my mind.
What a horrific thing to witness. They're very lucky to be alive. Wild boars are menaces everywhere.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:06 AM

16,576 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's a reason the peasants around the countryside in those areas were traditionally armed and had numbers of big, tough dogs around.

Wild boar by the way is awesome meat and nobody should ever feel bad for them being hunted. They'd hunt and eat us if they could.
Great Danes were bred to hunt wild boars, and protect people/hunters from them, and even bears.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Great Danes were bred to hunt wild boars, and protect people/hunters from them, and even bears.
The Danes of Send Manor is a great book about the breed during what I believe was its early days in the US.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:24 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well that chihuahua was an appetizer for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events