Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 AM

421 posts, read 3,224,395 times

Advertisements

I just need to know 3 things...

1. How far into the urban areas do the coyotes and mountain lions go? Where is the closest they have the been sighted?

2. Would it be safe to let my cats go in and out of an enclosed back yard through a cat door 24/7?

3. How can you keep all the dangerous animals like that (except scorpions) out of a back yard? (height/type of wall)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:05 AM

172 posts, read 252,599 times
Coyotes can be found anywhere in the Phoenix area. Most people don't realize that coyotes range through every city these days, even NYC.

Wily Coyote Caught in New York City After 2-Day Chase

Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times

1. How far into the urban areas do the coyotes and mountain lions go? Where is the closest they have the been sighted?

Coyotes, as far as they want...like downtown Chicago and NYC. Mountain lions may wander into outlying areas, but usually only in very dry seasons when their prey becomes scarce. I had to put one down after it was hit by a car inside the AJ city limits in the mid 1990s.

2. Would it be safe to let my cats go in and out of an enclosed back yard through a cat door 24/7?

Maybe, but they won't stay in your yard. Also, the predators come from above too-think hawks and owls. Depending on where you live, they'll be more of a threat.

I used to see "Lost cat-reward" signs posted on telephone poles in the foothills of the Superstition Mountains. It made me wonder how people that stupid ever survived to reach adulthood. Their cats weren't lost. They were LUNCH!

3. How can you keep all the dangerous animals like that (except scorpions) out of a back yard? (height/type of wall)

In addition to your wall, put a roof over it and keep the doors closed.

Last edited by aj661; 03-06-2008 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 AM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Coyotes can be found anywhere in the Phoenix area. Most people don't realize that coyotes range through every city these days, even NYC.

Wily Coyote Caught in New York City After 2-Day Chase
Yep. There are even coyotes in Los Angeles in the urban areas.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post

Even that doesn't work all the time!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
Yep. There are even coyotes in Los Angeles in the urban areas.
We had one stroll into a Subway restaurant in downtown Chicago a few summers ago. The coyote just strolled in through the open front door, trotted past startled lunchgoers, then proceeded to head into the back room where it curled up on top of the stock they had sitting back there. It put up a good fight when Animal Control game and got it, but isnt that bizarre?!?! Moral of the story? Coyotes go anywhere they dang well please, including backyards in Arizona.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post

Coyotes, as far as they want...like downtown Chicago and NYC. Mountain lions may wander into outlying areas, but usually only in very dry seasons when their prey becomes scarce. I had to put one down after it was hit by a car inside the AJ city limits in the mid 1990s.

Maybe, but they won't stay in your yard. Also, the predators come from above too-think hawks and owls. Depending on where you live, they'll be more of a threat.

I used to see "Lost cat-reward" signs posted on telephone poles in the foothills of the Superstition Mountains. It made me wonder how people that stupid ever survived to reach adulthood. Their cats weren't lost. They were LUNCH!

Very true post! I see hawks overhead every once in a while looking for lunch. Coyotes trot down my street once in a while as well. Nothing to be scared about really.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 AM

264 posts, read 1,085,965 times
You'd be a fool to let your cats out 24/7 anywhere.. It's so dangerous and not worth the risk.. especially when it gets REALLY hot out.

I could never let my cats out on their own. I can't believe people are still doing this.. My cats love it outside but I have them trained to go in my yard with me, and they don't go anywhere. They just wander around, get some fresh air and I can then herd them in like CATtle. lol

Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 AM

307 posts, read 954,261 times
Default Cats!

My neighbors let there cats roam...

I have dogs myself, the neighbors cats (2) always greet me coming home, leaving for work, etc.

They're nice cats, but they make themselves at home in my front yard...

Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDish2000 View Post
They're nice cats, but they make themselves at home in my front yard...
Get some rattlesnakes out there, that should end your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area