Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 10:53 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Says a lot about the party as well as those in attendance. Their friend is missing yet they are reluctant to talk.

The one positive (if you can call it that...) is the car was taken. I've never read about a killer leaving in their victims vehicle. So it is possible she ran away.
She probably wouldn’t have left without her vehicle, he could have offered to drive her home in it. He might’ve got a ride there with the people he came with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 11:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Lots of miles of access roads around Prosser Creek Res.
A person familiar with the local roads could have ditched the car into the lake

Or

If Kiely was impaired, there are as many places she could have driven off the road into the lake. Some of these cases have remained submerged for 20+ yrs. But I would assume modern technologies and search methods (satellites, ATV, boats, Drones, chemical monitoring) would be able to screen for gas / oil coming to the surface.

Or,

Silver cars can be easy to hide, and Reno is a short drive away.

Mystery continues

Old 08-16-2022, 02:30 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerJenny View Post
After seeing that YouTube video, I think the parents did it. Very bad vibe from him and now, she isn't acting like someone whose lost her child iMHO. Hopefully I am wrong.
I haven't watched the video, but I'd caution against throwing out accusations like this... especially when your only reasoning is "they weren't acting like I think people should act." Everyone reacts differently to shock and trauma, but accusations like this RUIN people's lives, and often stick even when evidence proves otherwise. And with social media these days, just one word from anyone could end up causing a ripple effect. Please don't be that person.

Edited to add: We also don't know the relationship between this girl and her parents. It's possible she's run off before, and they're hoping that's the case now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-16-2022 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's about that time of year for the media to do the pretty young girl missing story. Happens every summer. Weird.
Why is that "weird?" Young people (male and female) go missing every day, I imagine; and in the summer it's probably even more likely, with parties and vacations and so forth.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
That poor girl probably only recently got her drivers license, and I guess the area is pretty rural so a very dark place to be at night.
It's not that rural... Truckee is a busy little town, especially this time of year, and that location isn't far from downtown/old Truckee. I used to live around the lake, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. It isn't a big city, of course, and dark at night just due to being in the mountains. But there should have been plenty of people around, which makes me skeptical of the "drove into the lake" theory. There aren't too many spots around there where you'd be able to drive into the water without someone noticing.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-16-2022 at 03:08 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
Crazy that the parents allowed their 16 year old to be out a) drinking, and b) partying as late as midnight. Also odd that many of the pics they released of her she looked completely wasted.
Have you ever met a teenage girl? lol

I was one, and a party girl at that. My parents didn't "let me" go to parties with drinking, they just kinda gave up trying after a while... because if they'd said no, I would have just snuck out anyway. Better they knew where I was and who I was with, especially being the days before cell phones.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Have you ever met a teenage girl? lol

I was one, and a party girl at that. My parents didn't "let me" go to parties with drinking, they just kinda gave up trying after a while... because if they'd said no, I would have just snuck out anyway. Better they knew where I was and who I was with, especially being the days before cell phones.
Same. It's odd to me that people think that the parents were somehow at fault for allowing her to attend this party. It sounds like it was a party that I would have gone to when I was 16. Though I drink, I've never liked to get drunk, plus I was always with friends I could trust and who could trust me. I did have one female friend wander off during a party, we wouldn't leave until we found her. She was missing a shoe and incredibly drunk when we did find her, but no way we would have left without her. We also were in a small, rural area, so the parties were never 200 people, but they were 30+ at least.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 PM

480 posts, read 316,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
Crazy that the parents allowed their 16 year old to be out a) drinking, and b) partying as late as midnight. Also odd that many of the pics they released of her she looked completely wasted.

Anyway, I’m guessing she encountered the wrong person and things went very badly. Or she somehow managed to drive but ended up in an accident but they’ve yet to find the scene of the crash. If she was driving a new car, it would probably have some form of LoJack where the vehicle can be tracked. But I imagine if that is available they’ve attempted to use it to find the vehicle. However, if it was damaged by water or a crash it may be useless at this point.

Yes, I would NEVER let my kids go out alone at that age. Plus, we did activities together as a family, and are still very close.

Possibly a run away, but not looking hopeful.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Yes, I would NEVER let my kids go out alone at that age.
At 16?? They're practically an adult by that age, and only a year or two away from being in college (if they go). This sort of helicopter parenting is why the current college-aged generation is utterly incapable, generally speaking, of caring for themselves or solving very basic problems. I work indirectly with a lot of teens and college students at the library, and it's mind-boggling how little practical knowledge & coping skills they possess.

Quote:
Plus, we did activities together as a family, and are still very close.
Not sure how this contradicts anything here. Teens who are allowed to attend parties or get-togethers can still otherwise do stuff with their family. My family did TONS of stuff together, but my parents also allowed us our independence and alone-time with friends by this age. And we're still extremely close (lost my father last year, though). How are these things related?

Old 08-16-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Same. It's odd to me that people think that the parents were somehow at fault for allowing her to attend this party. It sounds like it was a party that I would have gone to when I was 16. Though I drink, I've never liked to get drunk, plus I was always with friends I could trust and who could trust me. I did have one female friend wander off during a party, we wouldn't leave until we found her. She was missing a shoe and incredibly drunk when we did find her, but no way we would have left without her. We also were in a small, rural area, so the parties were never 200 people, but they were 30+ at least.
Yup. I mean, the comment above saying "I would NEVER let my kids go out alone at that age" is way more odd than a 16 year-old being allowed to attend a party. Do these parents just keep them tethered to a leash until they're 18, and then expect them to suddenly learn to fend for themselves? As I said, this explains a lot about young adults today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events