Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 10:05 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am old enough to remember these two instances and I guess these sportscasters are to young as they mentioned several times that this has never happened before that they could recall.

These are different times now and there is so much awareness on the health and safety of the players, not so much right now but their future with what we have witnessed with much older retired players.

Terrible situation. Prayers to both him and his family.

As far as rescheduling they could always play tomorrow and move their week 18 games to Sunday or Monday night.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 10:29 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Also known as commotio cordis. The way Hamlin was hit in the chest, made me think of that possibility. t's something I researched a bit when my son was playing baseball.
It is also what I thought of. A young relative of a relative was hit in the chest by a baseball when he was 12, back around 2006. He survived, but he suffered brain damage from lack of oxygen and uses a wheelchair, can only speak a few words, has difficulty swallowing, and requires care for everyday needs.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:56 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
On ESPN they just showed the buses heading out to Orchard Park, NY. and said that the personnel, except for a few players who wanted to be at the hospital, are headed back to Orchard Park on the buses.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 4,278,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
On ESPN they just showed the buses heading out to Orchard Park, NY. and said that the personnel, except for a few players who wanted to be at the hospital, are headed back to Orchard Park on the buses.

If the Bills make themselves unavailable to complete the contest in a practicable manner then I'd say they're forfeiting the game. Understandable, but an L nevertheless.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,547,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I was surprised when I heard they were going bck to Buffalo since I assumed tis game might be played Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If the Bills make themselves unavailable to complete the contest in a practicable manner then I'd say they're forfeiting the game. Understandable, but an L nevertheless.
O. r either they have been tolld by the NFL that the game will not be made up, which I do tend to doubt. But I'd be more surprised to learn that they're all willing to forfeit the game when they are playing for seeding in the playoffs.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:07 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,426,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
They may have to give it to the Bengals. They can't reschedule with one week left in the season.

I'm surprised they suspended the game. When Chuck Hughes died, they finished the game. When Darryl Stingley was paralyzed, they finished the game.

The NFL has rules and procedures for just about everything which is why I'm surprised the game was suspended. I read the one about if a team dies in a plane crash and how they have a draft of other teams to fill that team's roster. If they have a plan for that I'm sure they have one for this situation.
In addition to this severe injury to Hamlin, other players risk injury because they can't focus on the game.
If continued

The fact it took so long to postpone has me thinking $$$ were of concern

Goodell, the League ..typical.

Old 01-03-2023, 03:14 AM

24,698 posts, read 9,515,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I'm surprised they suspended the game. When Chuck Hughes died, they finished the game. When Darryl Stingley was paralyzed, they finished the game.
Because the entire tone/mood of the game was changed. The man collapsed on national TV then needed CPR, they weren't going to be thinking about finishing the game with a clear head as the guy is fighting for his life in the ICU.

But yes, it makes you wonder why they didn't have a plan for it. If someone, god forbid, dies on the field, they need to have a plan instead of aimlessly talking for another hour before "postponing" or "suspending" it with 1 week left to go. If it happened during a playoff game, are they going to suspend it too?

Old 01-03-2023, 03:32 AM

8,274 posts, read 3,519,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
In addition to this severe injury to Hamlin, other players risk injury because they can't focus on the game.
If continued

The fact it took so long to postpone has me thinking $$$ were of concern

Goodell, the League ..typical.
At first the NFL was telling them they had five minutes to get playing again. Everyone refused, so the NFL suspended the game and acted like it was the NFL's idea. That's what the fans are saying. Even the Bengals were shaken up from the injury. No one wanted to play.

Old 01-03-2023, 04:10 AM

8,278 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Dang, dude. Hamlin was receiving CPR on the field (and remains in critical condition), and you’re surprised the game is postponed? This is bigger than football.
You obviously did not understand my post. An organization that has plans for everything would have had a plan for this! No one ever said the players health wasn't bigger than football!

Old 01-03-2023, 04:16 AM

11,279 posts, read 19,618,995 times
cardiac arrest

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-s-dam...021642600.html

Quote:
The Bills announced his diagnosis of cardiac arrest early Tuesday morning, hours after he left the stadium in an ambulance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events