Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2024, 10:31 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Interview with the woman who lost both her husband and son on the Titan

We still haven't heard whose remains were found, perhaps they'll never tell the public.

I'd be surprised if there's recoverable DNA.. Not shocked, but.. Surprised.

What they recovered was likely a soup. Separating it I would think would be difficult. Maybe if they found hair or something, but the way the implosion would have happened, there'd have been significant heat, which.. Very well could destroy any DNA.

It's uncharted territory.. About the closest thing that's ever happened like this is the diving bell accident on an oil rig where several people were blown apart by explosive decompression.. And that's really the opposite of what happened here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Talk about a stretch both literally and figuratively for the movie being planned.

No one's heard of anyone that died, and the implosion happened so quick what's the point of filming it?

The Paul-Henri guy.. He was 'known'.. I mean, probably not to everyone, but.. He was very well known in the Titanic community.

I don't really get a movie myself.. not something I'd be interested in watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 11:03 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Talk about a stretch both literally and figuratively for the movie being planned.

No one's heard of anyone that died, and the implosion happened so quick what's the point of filming it?
Hubris being followed by the inevitable nemesis is a classic (and classical) story arc. We still talk of Icarus.

I'd not watch either, but I can sort of see how it would work.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:11 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
The age old fascination of doomed people facing the end in a catastrophic environment. We’re all voyeurs aren’t we?

Old 01-16-2024, 02:00 PM

17,189 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The age old fascination of doomed people facing the end in a catastrophic environment. We’re all voyeurs aren’t we?
I mean... I watched "The Perfect Storm," and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, despite its tragic nature.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:38 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The poor people losing their lives aren't the story, as far as I'm concerned. The arrogant bastard thinking he knows better than everybody else and is imagining himself a "disruptor" in an area that has zero tolerance for error, though... Cpt. Smith on the Titanic, Scott at the South Pole, Icarus - they're the ones we talk about.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The poor people losing their lives aren't the story, as far as I'm concerned. The arrogant bastard thinking he knows better than everybody else and is imagining himself a "disruptor" in an area that has zero tolerance for error, though... Cpt. Smith on the Titanic, Scott at the South Pole, Icarus - they're the ones we talk about.

That guy, and.. I've forgotten his name at this point.. Having a touch of that 'renegade' behavior.. Maybe not a bad thing. But, he had it dialed up to 10. I'd say Elon Musk is like that.. And.. probably dialed up too high as well, but he's only at about a 6. You probably don't want to have that arrogance/renegade factor over a three or four. CERTAINLY not when peoples lives are at stake.

Old 01-20-2024, 11:22 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I mean... I watched "The Perfect Storm," and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, despite its tragic nature.
Yes, same with the one about the group of firefighters who died fighting a wildfire.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:10 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Listen to the possible banging sound recorded:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nic-wreck.html

Old 03-04-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Listen to the possible banging sound recorded:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nic-wreck.html

I don't get why this was released.. It.. At least SEEMS to be pretty obvious that the sub imploded when comms were lost. So, these noises that were recorded were not people tapping. Probably were unrelated to the implosion entirely.

So.. Why release them and further.. Why would it be news?

Old 03-04-2024, 01:51 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Why release them and further.. Why would it be news?
Clicks = $ ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events