Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 01:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I’m from the East Coast. Wasn’t aware that scorpions were common in LV. Wow! That’s an eye opener for me.

Right, me too. I've never read about scorpions being a normal pest there. Makes me love NJ more.

My hub wants to move to Florida, I won't go due to the wild life, bugs and storms. Plus it's too hot for me there

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
When I lived in Costa Rica, I always checked my shoes before putting them on. Had two big venomous spiders at seperate times in one house. Also a Caiman (type of alligater) in the back yard and assorted snakes. An apartment I rented was full of scorpions. Took a while to get to sleep at first because we'd see a few a week on the ceiling in our bedroom.

I hate bugs! The Spider between the screen and the window with the moonlight reflecting a 6ft image on the wall behind the bed at 3AM (kind of like the sky batman symbol) freaked me out. Especially with venom oozing out its fangs. Went outside with a flip flop and a can of raid and ended that threat!

I keep a pair of work boots in the garage. I have plastic bags shoved in them to stop insects or mice.

I also hate bugs and spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 04:54 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i was shocked to learn this happened in the venetian. i was thinking it would be one of those run down motel 6 places.
Over the year's we stayed in many Motel 6. Never had a problema...

Old 03-06-2024, 04:59 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Scorpions live there. They're not rats, mice or roaches. Filth doesn't attract them.
You live or visit the desert SW, you will have scorpions at some point.
You live/visit S. FL, you will get Palmetto bugs (giant, flying cockroaches)
You live/visit MD's eastern shore, you will have mosquitos.
You live/visit Costa Rica, you will get large spiders and scorpions as well!

Man up. Not everything is somebody's fault. If one thinks so, they need to wear a padded suit with a helmet and live in a bubble to "protect" themselves!
While I agree there is not much the hotel could do about this getting bit by a mosquito is a little different than being stung in the balls while sleeping in a bed. No hotel guest should expect that so even though I'm not a big fan of law suites I think this one would be justified.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I agree there is not much the hotel could do about this getting bit by a mosquito is a little different than being stung in the balls while sleeping in a bed. No hotel guest should expect that so even though I'm not a big fan of law suites I think this one would be justified.
I think a lot of folks don't expect to get bed bugs either but it happens quite a bit.
I think reimbursement for his medical bills which seem to be just an ER visit or clinic visit (not sure if there was an allergic reaction) and not charging him for the hotel stay would be sufficient compensation.
Why do people feel entitled to a big pay day when there was no obvious negligence involved.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:33 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
bed bugs seems different than a random scorpion that just made it's way into the room. Bed bugs are simliar to lice, they're contagious, sometimes the result of being dirty. I would be horrified to hear of someone getting bed bugs in a hotel room.

I couldnt imagine taking legal action over bed bugs, but i would expect a refund and I wouldnt be going back to that hotel

Old 03-06-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
When I lived in Costa Rica, I always checked my shoes before putting them on. Had two big venomous spiders at seperate times in one house. Also a Caiman (type of alligater) in the back yard and assorted snakes. An apartment I rented was full of scorpions. Took a while to get to sleep at first because we'd see a few a week on the ceiling in our bedroom.

I hate bugs! The Spider between the screen and the window with the moonlight reflecting a 6ft image on the wall behind the bed at 3AM (kind of like the sky batman symbol) freaked me out. Especially with venom oozing out its fangs. Went outside with a flip flop and a can of raid and ended that threat!
Thanks for the laugh. I have a son who is afraid of spiders, any spider. I could see him fleeing the house never to return.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:05 AM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Quote:
How?

Scorpions live there and can get in very easily. There are a lot of things that can't be controlled, and this is one of them. A scorpion getting in the sheets has nothing to do with uncleanliness. These critters go on the move at night, like many other critters.

Perhaps the critter was on the ceiling and fell into the bed? Perhaps it was on the move and crawled into the bed because of the dark crevasses in the sheets it could hide in? Perhaps the critter was on his clothes when he got in the room, and he sat on the bed and the bug crawled off? Perhaps the critter hitched a ride on his suitcase and got off when it was set on the bed? Perhaps the critter was in his underwear? How are any of these likely scenarios the fault of the hotel?

Sorry, but its a bug with legs and can go places on its own. **** happens! It's nobody's fault. People have to learn to deal with **** when they travel. We've all gotten coddled and think we deserve a life, free of any harm, 24/7 wherever and whenever we go. The world doesn't work like that! "OMG! It MUST be somebody's fault". Lets sue!

On a lighter note, a scorpion is basically no different than a bee. For some, a "sting" may be painful for a bit and cause a reaction due to them being allergic. For others, they may just feel a little prick and have no other effects.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:17 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Finding a roach, mouse or scorpion in a hotel room is certainly not something I'd want to find. Most people would be getting a refund and maybe some free meals...but legal action seems kind of ridiculous here.
Agreed. Lawsuit would be ridiculous.

I got bedbug bites at a hotel in Tucson several years ago. Not a low budget one either. They gave us nothing!

Old 03-06-2024, 09:18 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,398,910 times
A bed bug does not make you feel pain as if someone had take a piece of broken glass to your testicles.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
A bed bug does not make you feel pain as if someone had take a piece of broken glass to your testicles.
Personally, if I had to choose between being covered in bed bug bites, and potentially bringing them back into my home and dealing with that mess and a painful sting, I'd choose the sting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events