Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 09:54 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times

Advertisements

Getting stung by a scorpion anywhere in the body is not a desired situation. Getting stung in the testicles, scorpion or not, is a no no. This takes an even higher dimension when all you were doing was sleeping. The only risk is for you to roll over and squish to death the little critter, but all the critter needs to do is move away from you. There is no need for stinging anyone.

Poor guy will always remember when he was woken by strong pain in his balls. Imagine telling that to your children. This brings to light, can he have children after the scorpion decided to sting him? Was it one ball or both of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 10:54 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,847,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Personally, if I had to choose between being covered in bed bug bites, and potentially bringing them back into my home and dealing with that mess and a painful sting, I'd choose the sting.
Exactly. I've had bee stings before so should not be allergic to a scorpion sting either. I wouldn't request a sting but if I had a negotiation with the little beasts I would definitely take the sting. A bit of pain for a bit would be much better then a bunch of bed bugs I'd have a hard time of getting rid of.

Brings to mind, my wife is from Medellin, Colombia, we lived in Costa Rica and South FL for a while and have been to many places in S/C America. As I stated in an earlier post, we have had all sorts of crawling, flying, slithering, walking, hissing, biting, stinging, swimming and floating critters in and around our home and wanderings in those places. Some venomous and dangerous. Our home for the last 13 years has been on MD's Eastern Shore where we are on top of the food chain. Painting the bottom of my boat here in our driveway, my wife got bitten by a Brown Recluse. It ate away a bit of her back near her shoulder and hurt for a couple weeks. She had to get a tattoo to cover up the scar.

Critters can be everywhere!

Since there are Brown Recluses and lots and lots of Black Widows in the community I live in, I held a meeting with their boss.. that set off negotiations between me and the critters in my crawl space. I don't go into the crawl space, and they don't enter the house. Other than the occasional wolf spider who has paid with its life, the deal has worked out pretty good. And whenever I have to work under the boat or truck, I'll lay a tarp or plywood over what's left of the gravel driveway.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Exactly. I've had bee stings before so should not be allergic to a scorpion sting either. I wouldn't request a sting but if I had a negotiation with the little beasts I would definitely take the sting. A bit of pain for a bit would be much better then a bunch of bed bugs I'd have a hard time of getting rid of.

Brings to mind, my wife is from Medellin, Colombia, we lived in Costa Rica and South FL for a while and have been to many places in S/C America. As I stated in an earlier post, we have had all sorts of crawling, flying, slithering, walking, hissing, biting, stinging, swimming and floating critters in and around our home and wanderings in those places. Some venomous and dangerous. Our home for the last 13 years has been on MD's Eastern Shore where we are on top of the food chain. Painting the bottom of my boat here in our driveway, my wife got bitten by a Brown Recluse. It ate away a bit of her back near her shoulder and hurt for a couple weeks. She had to get a tattoo to cover up the scar.

Critters can be everywhere!

Since there are Brown Recluses and lots and lots of Black Widows in the community I live in, I held a meeting with their boss.. that set off negotiations between me and the critters in my crawl space. I don't go into the crawl space, and they don't enter the house. Other than the occasional wolf spider who has paid with its life, the deal has worked out pretty good. And whenever I have to work under the boat or truck, I'll lay a tarp or plywood over what's left of the gravel driveway.
I'd say comparatively, I live in a pretty mild area. We contend with ticks, Chigers, a few scorpions, and various Hymenoptera, black widows and brown recluse among other spiders, snakes a few venomous species, that all bite and sting and itch and worse. At my employment there are tons of brown recluse even though the buildings are sprayed twice a year. Both my sons have been bitten by brown recluse and left with scars after nasty, festering wounds. I have had plenty of stings, the worst are those evil yellow jackets who hunt you like a military squadron and try to kill you. A butt crack full of Chiger bites itching you to the brink of insanity is no picnic either.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:38 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,770 times
Legend has it that the same thing happened to Jerry Lee Lewis and was his inspiration for "Great Balls Of Fire".

Old 03-06-2024, 01:14 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
My view is somebody HAD to have brought the scorpion in probably accidently. People hike and others camp, or just have them on their properties in general. it could have entered in somebody's clothing pocket, in a shoe, or something else they brought into the hotel. I don't really think Venetian is at fault.
100% agree. I've been to Vegas close to 20 times over the years, and have never seen a scorpion in one of my hotel rooms (including the Venetian many times). My guess is that someone went camping or spent time outdoors, maybe in one of the Utah national parks that are very popular (Zion can be done as a long day trip from Vegas), and inadvertently brought the scorpion to the Venetian in their duffel bag or jacket. I cannot imagine that a huge 5 star urban property like the Venetian would otherwise have scorpions in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events