Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:54 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Mammoths were in North America too at the same time as other large mammals and early Native Americans. There were several carnivores which could prey on young mammoths separated from the herd like lions do today in Africa and tigers do in Asia with elephants. Wolves would do that now if young mammoths were available to hunt in North America and the Grizzly bear would also play a role with baby mammoths and perhaps even polar bears if a mammoth's range is far enough into their territory.
It would take a massive international effort to reintroduce mammoths to Alaska, Canada, Siberia and even northern Scandinavia but I don't think it's impossible just very, very unlikely. It would take decades of growing small herds and releasing them.

It's been done with the California condor (largest bird in North America) which was down to only about 20 birds left alive in Ventura county. They were bred in captivity and then with enough numbers slowly released to their previous territory from centuries ago including the Grand Canyon and the Pacific Northwest. But mammoths being what they are, would take a monumental effort over a few generations.
I basically said that, a few postings ago.

Of course it would be a massive effort to recreate a self-sustaining population of these gargantuan creatures. We should definitely do it. I'm a big fan of science in general, and restoring biodiversity in particular.

The one creature I think we should make extinct is the blood-sucking mosquito. There are thousands of non-blood-feeding mosquito species, so the food chain would not be terribly harmed by its absence. And think how better lives we will enjoy, without these loathsome, disease-bearing fiends. Many animals will also thank us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 05:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I don't think it's a good idea. Don't screw with nature.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:26 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I didn't say that. I said man's stupidity wasn't the cause. Humankind had no way of knowing if they were killing the species off thousands of years ago. They were merely trying to survive. Wildlife science didn't exist.
What does it matter if humankind knew or not knew if they were killing the species off or not if they were ultimately killed off?

Quote:
Ecologists and wildlife scientists, not boys playing with toys.
Your attempt to rename scientists is a joke. Those boys playing with toys you call are themselves scientists too. Doing something like this is very difficult hence we still aren’t able to despite decades and decades of work so clearly these folks are really good at their science.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:30 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Too many of the detractors here are too brainwashed by Hollywood movies. Of course the movies are going to turn it into thrillers and scary outcomes. Jurassic Park would not have been a box office success if it somehow show dinosaurs going about their way in a zoo without all the violence and gore. It would have been a boring documentary and wouldn’t have made any money for the movie studios.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:25 AM

1,702 posts, read 783,390 times
If they can bring back extinct animals from the Ice Age, can we please bring back people who were cheated out of life? Selena, Aaliyah, Andy Kaufman, Michelle Thomas, little kids who met an unfortunate end.… I know ethics and family permission and other things must be considered, but screw extinct animals. I’d like to see people(who got a raw deal) get another shot.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:44 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Global warming will make toast of him. They wouldn't be able to survive in the current rapidly-changing conditions.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
If they can bring back extinct animals from the Ice Age, can we please bring back people who were cheated out of life? Selena, Aaliyah, Andy Kaufman, Michelle Thomas, little kids who met an unfortunate end.… I know ethics and family permission and other things must be considered, but screw extinct animals. I’d like to see people(who got a raw deal) get another shot.
They are not bringing back to life a specific animal.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:05 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I love animals, but it seems like we're having a hard time keeping many of the ones we have here now alive. Many animals are endangered. It's sad the wooly mammoth became extinct due to humans and the changing environment but that's what happened...I say we do a better job of sparing many of the animal species we have today

Old 03-12-2024, 01:25 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They are not bringing back to life a specific animal.
I think he's talking about cloning.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:30 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Global warming will make toast of him. They wouldn't be able to survive in the current rapidly-changing conditions.
That's supposedly what caused them to go extinct in the first place-a warming climate-at it hasn't exactly cooled down since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events