Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 03:34 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times

Advertisements

Good idea or not?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...oolly-mammoth/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 11:46 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post

IMO not a good idea, no one knows what this animal is like. This could really backfire.

They're also talking about the Tazmanian Devil too which may not be extinct yet according to the guy that does the extinct or alive show. Apparently locals still claim to see them but no one has recorded it.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:53 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Frankenstein. Westworld. Jurassic Park. What could go wrong?

It is pretty fascinating as a one-off experiment. I question the morals of that, unless you are trying to re-establish an extinct species back into the ecosystem, and then I would question the wisdom of that. Many extinct animals could not adapt. Bringing them back raises the potential for very unintended consequences, including great harm to those animals.

Maybe someday we will be having Dodo Bird for Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:34 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
IMO not a good idea, no one knows what this animal is like. This could really backfire.

They're also talking about the Tazmanian Devil too which may not be extinct yet according to the guy that does the extinct or alive show. Apparently locals still claim to see them but no one has recorded it.
The woolly mammoth is another species of elephant, larger with more fur. It's really no secret what they were like at all. They didn't go extinct all that long ago and full skeletons can be found. They lived in herds, were herbivores just like their elephant cousins. Consensus now says people caused these great beasts to become extinct, not climate change.

No, the Tasmanian Devil is not being brought back because they still exist and can be found naturally or in zoo and preserves.
The Tasmanian tiger (not a tiger at all) is what is being brought back. It's also called a thylacine. It was the largest marsupial predator about the size of a medium dog, until the early 1900s when they were shot and poisoned into extinction. They were pretty awesome creatures unlike anything else that existed. Making them go extinct on purpose is one of the most shameful events in Australian history.

I'm all for mankind fixing its mistakes. If man caused a creature to become extinct and has the technology to bring it back, then that's what should happen, IMO. I see nothing morally wrong with it, but just the opposite. It would be morally wrong not to bring them back since if not for the stupidity of people, they would still be here.

Last edited by marino760; 03-09-2024 at 03:43 AM..

Old 03-09-2024, 11:03 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I suspect that if they do get them back, they will not be roaming the wild for many many generations. A regenerated Wooly Mammoth would be so valuable that they would all be in zoos and special habitats. They might never be plentiful enough to try to establish a herd in the wild.

Although, if they are close to modern elephants in temperament, it might be interesting to have a few small herds roaming around in Yellowstone Park so the cidiots can try to pet them instead of petting the bison.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:09 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Hmm… I say they should watch Jurassic Park the movie… all of them. Then let it sink in for a few days. Then make a decision.

I’ll let Dr Malcom say some wise words. Put attention at the end.

https://youtu.be/4PLvdmifDSk?si=3jexSInsZoYIzLvc

Old 03-09-2024, 12:19 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
" the company may explore other options based on the current political framework of the world." what is that supposed to mean .. what humans are they looking at resurrecting ?

Old 03-09-2024, 01:31 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Heck, we can't even look after current species that are facing extinction. I say, look after what we already have.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
It's a stupid, thoughtless, immature, cruel, heartless idea.

If they think re-inventing wooly mammoths will help humans to combat climate change as they claim is their purpose then I have a big bridge on the dark side of the moon to sell to them.

If somebody is giving them grants to do their experiments then they should have their grants revoked.

Old 03-09-2024, 06:51 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Hmm… I say they should watch Jurassic Park the movie… all of them. Then let it sink in for a few days. Then make a decision.

I’ll let Dr Malcom say some wise words. Put attention at the end.

https://youtu.be/4PLvdmifDSk?si=3jexSInsZoYIzLvc

Beat me to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events