Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 12:58 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
12 prior felony convictions lol.
Well, let's look on the bright side, he's bound to turn up sooner or later. Oh wait, that's not the bright side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 01:08 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Is anyone actually surprised by this? Be honest now…
I'm surprised that given his record he was afforded bond at all. I'm also surprised that, if I read correctly, he was able to post bond 5 years after being arrested.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:24 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
A bounty hunter will now be after him, as I doubt he coughed up the entire $180,000 bond, so the bondsman will owe the court 162,000.
I was chatting with a guy at a bar in Whitefish, MT who is a bail bondsman, his company. He said he’d spend ungodly amounts of money to track someone down. He said just because once you’re known in the criminal world as someone who doesn’t, you are out of business via all criminals will bail on you. He did say he’s never had to pay a bond. Mentioned if all people on bail all fled at same time purposely, his company would end and he’d owe a ton of money…millions.

Someone called wanting bail and was interesting listening to it via what he was asking/saying….he didn’t bail the guy.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:39 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
And I know those parts of Florida... It would be extremely easy for him to go about living fairly comfortably without ever getting caught. Stupid to give the man bail lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I was chatting with a guy at a bar in Whitefish, MT who is a bail bondsman, his company. He said he’d spend ungodly amounts of money to track someone down. He said just because once you’re known in the criminal world as someone who doesn’t, you are out of business via all criminals will bail on you. He did say he’s never had to pay a bond. Mentioned if all people on bail all fled at same time purposely, his company would end and he’d owe a ton of money…millions.

Someone called wanting bail and was interesting listening to it via what he was asking/saying….he didn’t bail the guy.

Just from a curiosity standpoint.. I'd love to talk to one of these people. Just to understand the business side of things.

Like.. If someone doesn't show up for their court date.. How long does the bondsman have to bring them in before they're on the hook for the money?

The most famous that I can think of is the Andrew Luster case, the one that made Dog the Bounty Hunter famous.

He was tried in absentia in January of 2003, but, obviously, he hadn't shown for previous trial dates. They don't, so far as I know, say "Welp, defendant isn't here, run the trial anyway.." It takes time before they decide to do a TIA.

He was captured in June 2003.. So, that was only 6 months.. But, he had.. Most likely been considered to have skipped well before even January 2003.

There's a guy who is a quasi relative by marriage to me. Idiot just spends his time in and out of jail.. More often out because they'll never put his butt in jail for a long period of time.

But, he bonds out every time and then doesn't show up for court.. He winds up getting picked up on a traffic stop.. But seems no one ever goes looking for him.. Just wait for him to get picked up again, which eventually happens. Drug charges, failure to stop for blue light.. Habitual traffic offender since he has had his DL suspended for the past 20 years or so.

These are usually 'small' bonds.. $5k to $25k, but still.. If I owned a business, I wouldn't want to pay those.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:43 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Pfft. So, another lowlife refused to face the music he created for himself and everyone else. Why is anyone surprised?

Old 03-14-2024, 04:28 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Just from a curiosity standpoint.. I'd love to talk to one of these people. Just to understand the business side of things.

Like.. If someone doesn't show up for their court date.. How long does the bondsman have to bring them in before they're on the hook for the money?

The most famous that I can think of is the Andrew Luster case, the one that made Dog the Bounty Hunter famous.

He was tried in absentia in January of 2003, but, obviously, he hadn't shown for previous trial dates. They don't, so far as I know, say "Welp, defendant isn't here, run the trial anyway.." It takes time before they decide to do a TIA.

He was captured in June 2003.. So, that was only 6 months.. But, he had.. Most likely been considered to have skipped well before even January 2003.

There's a guy who is a quasi relative by marriage to me. Idiot just spends his time in and out of jail.. More often out because they'll never put his butt in jail for a long period of time.

But, he bonds out every time and then doesn't show up for court.. He winds up getting picked up on a traffic stop.. But seems no one ever goes looking for him.. Just wait for him to get picked up again, which eventually happens. Drug charges, failure to stop for blue light.. Habitual traffic offender since he has had his DL suspended for the past 20 years or so.

These are usually 'small' bonds.. $5k to $25k, but still.. If I owned a business, I wouldn't want to pay those.
I wish I would still remember all the details he told me, I talked with him for a hour or two. They are given a time period to pay the bond for no shows. You do have to put collateral up on it to cover the cost to the bondsman. Many people who go to jail don’t have anything to put up though. Guessing they pay the bond to court or county, then go collect collateral and sell it. They can pick and choose who they want to bail. He didn’t bail the guy who called because he didn’t have collateral and or he didn’t figure he’d show up to court…it was a DWI charge to an Alaskan who was in MT. I could tell he didn’t care for the call at all and knew he wasn’t going to bail him.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:56 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
When he is arrested, just throw away the key.
I understand what you're getting at, but in today's "bass-ackward" world, the authorities would most likely "throw away the key" BEFORE the perp was in the cell.............

Old 03-15-2024, 06:04 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Guy isn't out touring the world, he is holed up at a friend/relatives house. They will find him shortly.

He won't have the network or resources to hide for long.......he isn't "el chapo"

Old 03-15-2024, 09:39 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Guy isn't out touring the world, he is holed up at a friend/relatives house. They will find him shortly.

He won't have the network or resources to hide for long.......he isn't "el chapo"
Especially considering he's apparently a bit mental and a druggie.

Put out a 2500 dollar reward and someone will turn him in.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:39 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

Depends how much collateral there is. There's a good business in taking houses as collateral for people you're fully expecting, indeed counting on, skipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events