Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 06:45 PM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

I remember those "lists" provided by insurance companies.

We were offered "free" basic coverage in school for some reason, but if you purchase the premium plans you would get mucho $$$ if you lost certain limbs, etc.

Being kids we all scanned the lists... oh, if you lose an eye you get $500,000... or hey Richard how bout I chop off your dominant hand and split the $750,000.

It was a bizarre thing to read.

Wonder what actuary science is behind the values, etc.... basically betting against all odds that you will lose your left eyeball before you turn 30 lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 09:19 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Meh. I don't think OP tried to intentionally mislead.. Just.. If you were reading the title, I could certainly see it being misinterpreted.

Again.. Not blaming OP because the media has pretty much done the exact same thing.
Poorly translated. Google translate perhaps.

Wow! Zhang must be madly in love with Liao to go along with the scam.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:48 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Either way thats a horrible thing to do. Intentional or not.
We all know insurances dont like to pay and they will search and search for reasons not to. Most claims are legit but many are scams. Either way, that was not a wise choice.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:11 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Some of the "crippled" beggars you see on the street around India intentionally maimed themselves in hope of getting a few extra rupees tossed to them. Even worse are the people who maim or disfigure orphaned street kids for the same reason, and keep a cut of the begging profits for themselves.
Hey, sounds like part of a plot for a movie! Oh wait...

(I almost stopped watching Slumdog Millionaire partway through because of a particular scene related to that.)

Old 03-28-2024, 07:35 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
ouch...........sounds like these boys need to move to Florida!

At what point does a double amputation seem like its a good deal? If you offered me 1.3mm US dollars I wouldn't take the deal!
I wouldn't either - unless maybe I was over 85 years old, then I might consider it. No, on second thought, not even then since that would be a high-medical-risk situation with potential for great pain and suffering and abuse by the healthcare system.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
ouch...........sounds like these boys need to move to Florida! !
Why move to Florida?

Old 03-29-2024, 08:52 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/taiw...ecutors-2024-3

It was Taiwan or somewhere. And, he didn't amputate his own legs like the headlines (and this topic) indicate.. He stuck his legs in dry ice to get frostbite, causing them to need to be amputated.

Not that THAT is any more brilliant, but..
Whoo hooo, its not just us that have gone full locO!

Old 03-29-2024, 10:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
I guess this guy found the dumbest, most gullible guy he knew for this scheme.

A university student in Taiwan named Zhang was persuaded by a "friend" to amputate his legs to collect 1.3 million in an insurance scam.

His "friend" named Liao, had lost money trading crypto and tricked Zhang into signing a legal note obligating him to pay about 800K.

To execute the clever plan, Zhang bought several expensive travel insurance, life insurance and accident insurance policies. Then they both went on a motorbike ride at night, wanting to claim that Zhang suffered from frostbite because of the ride.

After the ride, Zhang plunged his feet into a bucket of dry ice for 10 hours, incurring severe frostbite that required a double amputation.

But the medical staff noticed there were no shoe or sock marks and the injuries were remarkably symmetrical, which never happens in frostbite cases. Also, the temperature the night of the ride was only 42 degrees, as Taiwan is in a subtropical region where cases of severe frostbite are unheard of.

Authorities were notified and an investigation began. They found the plastic bucket, insurance documents, a box for dry ice and a tablet. Both were arrested and charged with fraud and aiding and abetting a serious injury.

Like my friend says, they make them dumber every day!
"Stupid is as stupid does."
-Forrest Gump

Old 04-11-2024, 11:58 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
apparently there is a town in Florida where this was sort of a thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon,_Florida_(film)

https://allthatsinteresting.com/nub-city-vernon-florida

Old 04-12-2024, 05:05 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
apparently there is a town in Florida where this was sort of a thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon,_Florida_(film)

https://allthatsinteresting.com/nub-city-vernon-florida
The first link didn't work, but oh man, that second one.....

"Some Nub Club members hacked and sawed their own limbs off, but most took the relatively easier method of shooting themselves with a shotgun."

"One claimed he shot his own hand while aiming for a hawk, while another said that he shot his foot when he mistook it for a squirrel."

My feet have bushy tails just like squirrels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events