Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 01:48 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times

Advertisements

I guess this guy found the dumbest, most gullible guy he knew for this scheme.

A university student in Taiwan named Zhang was persuaded by a "friend" to amputate his legs to collect 1.3 million in an insurance scam.

His "friend" named Liao, had lost money trading crypto and tricked Zhang into signing a legal note obligating him to pay about 800K.

To execute the clever plan, Zhang bought several expensive travel insurance, life insurance and accident insurance policies. Then they both went on a motorbike ride at night, wanting to claim that Zhang suffered from frostbite because of the ride.

After the ride, Zhang plunged his feet into a bucket of dry ice for 10 hours, incurring severe frostbite that required a double amputation.

But the medical staff noticed there were no shoe or sock marks and the injuries were remarkably symmetrical, which never happens in frostbite cases. Also, the temperature the night of the ride was only 42 degrees, as Taiwan is in a subtropical region where cases of severe frostbite are unheard of.

Authorities were notified and an investigation began. They found the plastic bucket, insurance documents, a box for dry ice and a tablet. Both were arrested and charged with fraud and aiding and abetting a serious injury.

Like my friend says, they make them dumber every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 04:34 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
ouch...........sounds like these boys need to move to Florida!

At what point does a double amputation seem like its a good deal? If you offered me 1.3mm US dollars I wouldn't take the deal!

Old 03-20-2024, 03:24 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Most likely a pair of morons who voted Ko/KMT earlier this year.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:24 AM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
OK this is super crazy but there are some people who have such a warped image of themselves that they WANT to amputate their limbs as they believe it will make them feel better,

Check this article - gift, no paywall

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/22/h...smid=url-share

Old 03-20-2024, 07:24 AM

16,270 posts, read 10,395,161 times
This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. But the OP really should supply a link to the story.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:12 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. But the OP really should supply a link to the story.

https://www.businessinsider.com/taiw...ecutors-2024-3

It was Taiwan or somewhere. And, he didn't amputate his own legs like the headlines (and this topic) indicate.. He stuck his legs in dry ice to get frostbite, causing them to need to be amputated.

Not that THAT is any more brilliant, but..

Old 03-20-2024, 08:26 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Some of the "crippled" beggars you see on the street around India intentionally maimed themselves in hope of getting a few extra rupees tossed to them. Even worse are the people who maim or disfigure orphaned street kids for the same reason, and keep a cut of the begging profits for themselves.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:56 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.businessinsider.com/taiw...ecutors-2024-3

It was Taiwan or somewhere. And, he didn't amputate his own legs like the headlines (and this topic) indicate.. He stuck his legs in dry ice to get frostbite, causing them to need to be amputated.

Not that THAT is any more brilliant, but..

Maybe the thread title should be corrected to say:

Student persuaded by "friend" to try amputating legs for insurance scam.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:57 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Maybe the thread title should be corrected to say:

Student persuaded by "friend" to try amputating legs for insurance scam.

Meh. I don't think OP tried to intentionally mislead.. Just.. If you were reading the title, I could certainly see it being misinterpreted.

Again.. Not blaming OP because the media has pretty much done the exact same thing.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:56 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
OK this is super crazy but there are some people who have such a warped image of themselves that they WANT to amputate their limbs as they believe it will make them feel better,

Check this article - gift, no paywall

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/22/h...smid=url-share
Wow, that's material for a whole new thread!

When I read the story, I didn't think about the distinction between amputating your own legs and getting frostbite that required amputation. I was still in shock that someone would actually think this was a good plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events