Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'm thinking that maybe some people just flat out don't like being told what they HAVE to do (or wear in this case)..especially when considering they've been riding without one for years....maybe they feel that it should be THEIR choice, and no-one elses.
That's part of it, yes.

But for me, as I've said previously in this thread - I wear a wig. I have to, in public, because I'm female, and don't have hair, and look like a freak with a shaved head (it grows in splotches and will never become a full head of hair). That means, my scalp is already covered with nylon, plus hair that's been knotted into the nylon, and then reinforced with fabric, and banded with elastic. I can't wear a helmet over that, or I would suffer heat stroke, and that's assuming that the sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes (which don't have protective eyelashes), thus blinding me and causing me to crash doesn't do me in first.

In addition, taking the helmet OFF my head, would result in the wig coming with it (because the sweat would have rendered the double-sided tape utterly useless, but the sweat would have been sticky enough to stick the wig to the helmet), and that just AIN'T gonna happen.

I'd get a medical exemption if I had to, if it became an enforced law around here. Not gonna wear a helmet. Period. For me, specifically, it is MORE risky to wear a helmet than it is to go without. I am more likely to -have- that accident, with the helmet, than without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That's part of it, yes.

But for me, as I've said previously in this thread - I wear a wig. I have to, in public, because I'm female, and don't have hair, and look like a freak with a shaved head (it grows in splotches and will never become a full head of hair). That means, my scalp is already covered with nylon, plus hair that's been knotted into the nylon, and then reinforced with fabric, and banded with elastic. I can't wear a helmet over that, or I would suffer heat stroke, and that's assuming that the sweat pouring down my face and into my eyes (which don't have protective eyelashes), thus blinding me and causing me to crash doesn't do me in first.

In addition, taking the helmet OFF my head, would result in the wig coming with it (because the sweat would have rendered the double-sided tape utterly useless, but the sweat would have been sticky enough to stick the wig to the helmet), and that just AIN'T gonna happen.

I'd get a medical exemption if I had to, if it became an enforced law around here. Not gonna wear a helmet. Period. For me, specifically, it is MORE risky to wear a helmet than it is to go without. I am more likely to -have- that accident, with the helmet, than without.
You ought to get a halo headband. I had the same problem with sweat getting into my eyes, that alleviated it. Now I only get sweat in my eyes when I finish the ride and take it off. As for the wig, I would not wear with it cycling and wear a dewrag instead.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:58 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I started in this crazy sport in 1984 at the 3rd HHH. My helmet back then was the Bell V1-Pro That was hot.

I now have the Giro Ionos. Big difference, It isn't hot anymore.
But I must say that on a few occassions I have gone without a helmet, in front of God and everybody! I felt so naked - kind of exciting. And I felt so decadent.
Did they have the pickle juice back then? Did you do last years? Keep on truckin... err bikin

Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You ought to get a halo headband. I had the same problem with sweat getting into my eyes, that alleviated it. Now I only get sweat in my eyes when I finish the ride and take it off. As for the wig, I would not wear with it cycling and wear a dewrag instead.
1. it's called a do-rag, not a dewrag. It covers your hairdo. Thus - do..rag.
2. I'm a 50 year old white middle-class housewife. I don't wear do-rags. I wear wigs. I don't need advice on how to accommodate a helmet. I won't wear one. Period. As I said previously.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Did they have the pickle juice back then? Did you do last years? Keep on truckin... err bikin
No pickle juice but Bud Light was a sponsor and they were serving beer at the finish line. Ahh the good old days when we had beer sponsors. Yes, I have done most all of them.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1. it's called a do-rag, not a dewrag. It covers your hairdo. Thus - do..rag.
2. I'm a 50 year old white middle-class housewife. I don't wear do-rags. I wear wigs. I don't need advice on how to accommodate a helmet. I won't wear one. Period. As I said previously.
Or it absorbs the dew off your head, you know, like headsweats. It's what the bald men wear under their helmets. Seems to work for them. I know all about them, I have had a couple. I would forgo the wig and just wear the douxrague. The helmet fits over it great and you wouldn't have to worry about the sticky stuff. Because if you came to Dallas, and you wanted to ride with us, you could.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-18-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
My reason earlier was a strong belief that accidents happen to other people.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Heat. Bicycle helmets make you hotter. Heat stroke will kill you as well as a knock to the head, and heat exhaustion will make you less aware, less able to control the bike, and less able to avoid bad situations. These costs to helmet-wearing are usually ignored or dismissed out of hand by helmet advocates.
Wearing clothes makes you hotter, too.

It's really not that hard to wear a helmet, drink lots of water, and refrain from cycling so maniacally and non-stop that even modern, well-vented helmets cause such a build-up of cranial thermal energy that you collapse from heat exhaustion and die.

Well, not for most of us, anyway.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'm thinking that maybe some people just flat out don't like being told what they HAVE to do (or wear in this case)..especially when considering they've been riding without one for years....maybe they feel that it should be THEIR choice, and no-one elses.
Strange. Most people grow out of such reactions. Usually around the age of 7 or 8.

I wonder if they also smoke, drive while intoxicated, and have lots of sex without condoms just because they resent hearing that all those things are dangerous?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Wearing clothes makes you hotter, too.
Helmets are more tight fitting that summer clothes which let airflow. But yea, clothes do you make hotter. On the hottest days, I sometimes bike shirtless for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling