Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
The first shop I visited advised me against a road bike. It was a Trek shop. They were pushing me toward mountain bikes, but I kept saying this will be only for paved trails, but the guy said having a road bike or hybrid will not provide a comfortable ride because there is not enough shock absorption. I don't know... I haven't had the chance to test any yet.
When I was reading your original post, I was thinking the same thing about the trail. Without seeing the trail it would be hard to say if a road bike would be best for you. I too am new to cycling and I also ride on a paved trail, but trails are usually a little bit rougher than the actual roads. That being said you could easily ride a road bike on paved trails, but it will not be a perfectly smooth ride, especially if the bike is aluminum. I would think that the best possible bike for you would be a cyclocross bike, but they are still a relatively new type of bike so it will be hard to find a used one and they are pricey when new. They are in-between a road bike and a mountain bike, but it leans more toward a road bike. If you do get a road bike, look on CL like some others said, but if you want new and are good with putting things together you could look at bikes on bikesdirect.com. I just bought a Windsor Wellington 3.0 off of CL which is a bikes direct bike and all 3 versions of the bike are under $600 new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 429 times
Default Yes

I have a huffy that I bought from wall mart and
I have had it for 6 years and have had no problems
I wheelie bikes so I don't ride smoothly I also have
A 29 genesis which is very durable and I have had
For 4 years so I would give it a try

Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Most newbs (even after they learn it) just can't accept it. It ain't about the bike bro - that's a cliche saying that is very true. It's the engine (another wonderful cliche that is true).

I support you getting a better quality bike but don't expect it to make you faster or get much further. Do expect the feel and fit to be different and (hopefully) more pleasurable/fun.

Don't mean to discourage you. Just swallow the poison and deal with it...then ride. You'll get progressively better and be able to handle the mileage you are after if your work up to it. And BTW, there will always be people stronger than you no matter how you perceive their fitness, measure yourself against yourself - unless you get to a level where you want to start racing. Best of luck and have fun.
My favorite is "It's not the arrows, It's the Indian"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling