Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here familiar with bike trailers?

We currently have an InStep bike trailer. The arm broke after the 5th use last summer.

There's a Burley Solo on our local BST site for $225. Should I snag that?

I'm a full time working mother of an almost 2 year old toddler. We live close to some really awesome bike trails and I'd like to bring my joy for riding back this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 05:27 AM

83 posts, read 82,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Is there anyone here familiar with bike trailers?

We currently have an InStep bike trailer. The arm broke after the 5th use last summer.

There's a Burley Solo on our local BST site for $225. Should I snag that?

I'm a full time working mother of an almost 2 year old toddler. We live close to some really awesome bike trails and I'd like to bring my joy for riding back this year.
Burley. great brand. I bought one new 25 years ago and it's been through three owners at this point and kids just love them!

Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
I would say snag the Burley as my first thought - but let's think for a minute.

You can go here to find out what year the Burley is: https://burley.com/support/what-year-is-my-burley/

You biggest concerns will be:
1) will the Burley still be enough trailer for your needs in a year or two?
2) what kind of condition is the Burley in? Are the wheel bearings good? Has the frame been damaged? Is the nylon body fabric in good shape?

I used to have one of the original Cannondale Buggers from the 70's. I've had 3 other trailers since that one died. BTW, it didn't have to die, but given that the trailer was 30 years old, Cannondale no longer offered spare parts, and it just wasn't worth making my own parts when I could get other, used trailers (but newer), much cheaper.

So I bought a cheap trailer - about the price range of the InStep. Was NOT all that happy with it as a bike trailer. The wheel axles were going to have wear issues and several other weak points. Nothing you would notice if you were doing weekend rides for a year or two. But I noticed.

I found an early Burley used cheap. Used it until the hitch broke. Used hitch parts from the El Cheapo above to repair the Burley. Then I was gifted a used but serviceable and newer Burley trailer - which is the one I now use when I need one.

The El Cheapo has been repurposed as a canoe hand trailer so I can haul my canoe from the car to water. For this it works well enough.

My point? The good quality of the Burley and Cannondale trailers will see them outlast your need of a trailer, with only a little maintenance and care. With only a little care your children, who are now riding in the trailer, could end up using the same trailer for their children.

The El Cheapos won't do that well.

However, like all used things, try and know a little bit about what you want to buy. If the trailer has been left outdoors in the sun, the nylon fabric could be rotten. Maybe somebody's brother stepped on the frame, and bent it so the wheels don't run true. Or maybe they backed over one of the wheels with their car - and the wheel is trashed, but looks ok if you don't look hard.

A little depends on you, also. If you are going to do 50-milers, or more, with the trailer, you will want the better quality without question. If you are just riding 5 miles for fun, make a stop at the park, and then ride home? El Cheapo may do the job for you.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
I ended up buying it. It's a 2016 Burley Solo. They only used it twice. So far we've gone on a 14 and 18 mile ride. Nothing was damaged and everything looked great.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I ended up buying it. It's a 2016 Burley Solo. They only used it twice. So far we've gone on a 14 and 18 mile ride. Nothing was damaged and everything looked great.
Super! Sounds like you got a great deal! That Burley can see you through many years of service!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling