Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times

Advertisements

There is a thread somewhere on here so far back on this topic, that I started.. I was one of the first to speak out against Statins and what they had done to me and you would have thought I had just told the biggest lie ever told by a human! Nobody wanted to hear it or believe there was a possibility of that I said had a ounce of truth in it. Since then, the things I said back then have been proven to be true. When I was first put on statins, high cholesterol was the only medical problem I had. Over the years that I was on it I ended up having a mountain of medications I was on to off set the side effects.. I finally got in such bad shape that I knew if I didn't do something, I would be on disability within the year so I quit them and have never taken another one since. Overnight the changes in me were so noticeable that everyone wanted to know what I was on, they wanted some of whatever I was on! My brain came out of the fog in had been in for so long, my energy came back like you wouldn't believe, I was a totally different person.

I had been invited to Atlanta to talk with a man who had amnesia while on them. In talking to him I kept seeing the light go off in his eyes as I told him of what I have been through and he also had experienced everything I had.... the only difference was I hadn't had the amnesia. He too, was wondering what was happening to him as all that started stealing his life bit by bit. They steal you life so slow that you don't realize it until one day you try to do something and you no longer can do it. This man said he was going to keep taking them unless he had another bout of amnesia.... he quit taking them shortly after that.

The most unbelievable thing I had happen was... I took them for FIVE years. Started on them right after I had had my colonoscopy where nothing was found. Five years on them I had my next colonoscopy where FIVE precancerous ones were found.. Had another 3 years after that and only 1 small one with no sign of cancer was found.

My doctor KNOWS don't even mention statin drugs to me. I got my cholesterol down with diet and while I don't keep it as low as they want me to, I have kept it down to where I feel it's the best for me. To low, I have NO energy (120 to 150 is where I feel the best). I was cheated out of making a informed decision when I was put on them. There wasn't hardly any information out there about the bad side of statins. Now, the information is there, all you have to do is find it and that is easier now than then when I was looking for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Here I go again. I quit statins about 3 years ago after alot of muscle pain and weight gain. My cholesterol is high but the bad is not that bad and the good is VERY good. So, now I have a new doc and the first thing she wants is a total lipid panel. So tired of fighting with these docs about cholesterol #s. I am going to get the coconut oil asap and hope I can reduce my numbers before I do the blood work. The niacin, diet, etc, never helped me. Also tried red leaf rice which does work, but contains lovastatin, so there you go.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:42 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
In the past I tried various statins and was constantly having muscle spasm so 2 months ago my doc put me on a new one called Lovalo and what a difference it made. My lipids test came back better than ever and I've had no problems with the muscles or other symptoms since taking this Lovalo. It's a newer improved statin recently approved by the FDA.
My cholesterol went from 252 to 176.
My HDL went from 137 to 63
My LDL went from 153 to 80
My triglycerides from 294 to 165
All my other stats were in the middle normal goodl ranges.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 PM

626 posts, read 975,859 times
My cholesterol is almost 300 and I had a mini-stroke 6 years ago. I am 5'4", 110 lbs. I tried the lowest dose Lipitor then Crestor and then Simvastatin and I could not tolerate them. I actually felt like I was dying! I kid you not. My husband also was on simvastatin for a couple years. His body was weakening to the point, it was an effort to walk around! We both went off them and now we feel great! Back to our old selves! I still have high cholesterol. I see info on here about coconut oil How do you take it and does it help???

Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 PM

240 posts, read 586,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was put on statins one time. The muscle pain wasn't worth it and the literature that came with the prescription said to discontinue taking it if you experienced muscle pain. I stopped taking it but the doctor told me to continue. I never did go back on the statins.

I had a neighbor who told me about his brother who is disabled from taking statins. It can damage the muscles.

A nurse told me statins can be dangerous and she said she would never take them.

I guess they do help some people, in fact I know someone who has been on statins for a few years after having had a stroke. If they can prevent strokes or heart attacks, that's good but it does seem that they are over-prescribed. I'd be interested to see what other people have to say because my knowledge and experience with statins is limited.
I never dreamed such excruciating pain existed as when I was for no reason except it being a doctor favorite I was taken off Gemfibrozil and put on Simvastatin. I was on double doses of Oxycodone (I think it was called) just so I could get 3 hours sleep a night and ended up on a walker from being perfectly healthy. I accidentally found out about Simvastatin's reputation. Pain started to go away the day I got off it. If you have joint pain, back pain or pain from neck down your toes and you are on Simvastatin check it out. Conversely I know people that have been on it for years and are okay.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,483,262 times
I have just started a new blog about my experiences with Simvastatin. I am trying to build up a large enough database that eventually the blog becomes a main resource for others. And, I want to become a huge thorn in the side of Teva Pharmaceuticals and the billionaire George Soros, who is a controlling share holder in the company. The purpose? To force not only the pharmaceuticals, but the Supreme Court, to be responsible for the damage being caused to users of statins.

Currently the Supreme Court has ruled that pharmaceutical companies who are makers of generic drugs cannot be held liable for damages, therefore patients who have been harmed cannot sue. This is wrong and needs to be challenged.

Please take the time to visit and post your story. Lets get the word out in one place instead of having to search all over the internet. Simvastatin Nightmares

Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 PM

543 posts, read 702,641 times
On March 2 2014, the Journal had an article about Pfizer developing a over the counter version of Lipitor. Most doctors agree it is so important in the prevention of heart disease, that it is a good idea.
I'm not so sure people would check their levels regularly.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM

194 posts, read 251,998 times
Diet, exercise and if needs be supplements. This makes you wonder Half the experts pushing statins for millions more patients have cash links to drug firms | Mail Online

Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
After two days on a statin I ended up in Urgent Care so it has been a battle with my doctors to not take them. They just refuse to believe that I don't tolerate them well even after the Urgent Care doctor told me to never take another one.

I finally found an edocrinologist who is treating my low thyroid. I have learned that your thyroid does effect not only your heart and energy but also reduces cholesterol levels. I would not tell anyone whether they should take statins but I urge anyone to explore all causes of elevated cholesterol before supporting the drug industry.

Some hospitals base their doctor's bonus' on the amount of drugs they prescribe.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

Some hospitals base their doctor's bonus' on the amount of drugs they prescribe.
Do you have a source for that statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals