Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,251 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thanks for the wealth of information that I have found on these forums. I am currently looking to relocate to the DFW area and need some advice on where to live. I will be working close to Jupiter and the George Bush Toll (Richardson) but will only be in the office 2-3 days a week. I will also be flying out of DFW for work but only about twice a month on average. I have two kids (4yrs and 2 yrs) so I would like to find a family oriented location with great schools. Looking to spend no more than 300K but would like a big home lot for the kids to play. House needs to be 2800sft min and 4br with office - so this gives everyone an idea on size concerns. I recently visited Rockwall and found a house in the Shores but wanted to hear everyone's opinions about the other locations as I have not seen them, also would be glad to hear opinions about Rockwall in general.

Thanks!
- Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 PM

6,797 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I would take Allen off the list due to the commute you would have to endear. Plano and Rockwall would both be good choices. Since your looking for a larger lot I would give Rockwall the edge. They are currently expanding 121 which will really ease alot of the traffic in Rockwall. Plano school district will be rated slightly higher but Rockwall has a good school system. I would lean toward Rockwall but nothing wrong with Plano.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,065 times
Don't forget about communities in-between
Rowlett
North East Garland
Wylie
Sachse
Murphy
Lucus
Parker

All within a closer distance then Rockwall. And all still have nice homes and some communties offer larger lots and a more country feel but close to all the amenities.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,145 times
I love Rockwall!! Great schools, shopping, activities for the kiddos etc. The traffic is improving due to MAJOR road re-construction.

My newest favorite neighborhood is actually in Heath. Cove Ridge Estates has large lots, large homes and is beautiful!!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 13,251 times
Thanks for all of the info - I will have to check out the other cities mentioned. As for Rockwall I'll have to look at Cove Ridge Estates as I have not heard of that one. I just really want to find a community that we feel great in and one that our kids can grow up in as they will be turning school age next year.

One other question - If my job where to change what would be an average commute time in traffic to downtown Dallas from Rockwall.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake357 View Post
Thanks for all of the info - I will have to check out the other cities mentioned. As for Rockwall I'll have to look at Cove Ridge Estates as I have not heard of that one. I just really want to find a community that we feel great in and one that our kids can grow up in as they will be turning school age next year.

One other question - If my job where to change what would be an average commute time in traffic to downtown Dallas from Rockwall.

Thanks!
With Traffic about 60 minutes. No traffic 30 minutes. I drive from Plano to Downtown everyday but I leave at 6:15-6:30am and traffic is very light. I travel 19 miles in about 20 minutes from door to door.

Also take a look at Sachse, Murphy, and Wylie.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,130 times
Considering you work at Jupiter and Bush, and with your budget the Firewheel area of Garland is likely out, Sachse/Murphy/Wylie as others have mentioned are your best bets for budget, what you want, and proximity to Jupiter and Bush. Sachse and Wylie will provide more bang for your buck than Murphy though.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Considering you work at Jupiter and Bush, and with your budget the Firewheel area of Garland is likely out, Sachse/Murphy/Wylie as others have mentioned are your best bets for budget, what you want, and proximity to Jupiter and Bush. Sachse and Wylie will provide more bang for your buck than Murphy though.
What do you mean Firewheel is out because of budget and location? It is actually the closest location of all mentioned for the job location AND in a better location should the job change for the metroplex as it is right at Hwy 190 and only 7 minutes to Central Expwy. Budget, there are homes in Firewheel in the OP's budget. The OP could be at the office in 10 minutes IN rush hour traffic, go home for lunch or the kids schools for lunch, etc. It is a great family friendly area (I live here ) and would fit the OP's idea of a great place to raise a family as most people are "here to stay" as they love the area and don't hardly move. Many when they do move are moving up or down and try to stay right in the immediate area. There are also several large lots.

Found a house on realtor.com on Sawgrass that is 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms on the golf course with a good size back yard, 3053 sq ft and they are asking $319K (one can always offer less than asking and get it ). The rooms on this one look HUGE as well. Needs a little updating but overall pretty good.

THEN, there is this newer one that does not need updating at all in a new subdivision that sold out very well. It is on Wynne Drive, 5 bed/4bath 3507 sq ft and asking $319K.

Another on Harbor Town that is 6 bed/4.5 baths at 3660 sq ft and is asking $285K.

One on Lake Forest Court that is 5 bed/4 bath 3310 sq ft asking $257K.

Another on Onion Creek that is in the OP's range that is right across the street from the side of an elementary school (LOTS of room for the kids to play and there are always kids in the neighborhood walking up to the school to play).

Look on realtor.com and use the zipcode 75044

Of course The Shores in Rockwall is great and I have many friends that live there and love it. But the traffic to get from there to the OP's place of employment is not going to be good. The traffic thru Rowlett is going to be a PITA moreso than it already is until 190 gets thru. In rush hour it CAN take up to an hour to get there if the traffic is bad enough. Too many lights and way too many cars going in that same direction. Opposite way is not a problem.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 PM

6,797 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I gotta agree that Firewheel would be a perfect fit. Great area and close to the office. I also love the Heath area mentioned earlier. OP should really look into both of these area's.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I would take Allen off the list due to the commute you would have to endear. Plano and Rockwall would both be good choices. Since your looking for a larger lot I would give Rockwall the edge. They are currently expanding 121 which will really ease alot of the traffic in Rockwall. Plano school district will be rated slightly higher but Rockwall has a good school system. I would lean toward Rockwall but nothing wrong with Plano.
Are you kidding me! Allen is like 9 miles from that location. I would say it would take a maximum of 20 minutes (this would be with accidents and back-ups). Also it is a lot closer than Rockwall and Heath. Jupiter goes all the way up into Allen, so you could just go down Jupiter if 75 is slow.

DaveG99- 60 minutes from Rockwall to Downtown Dallas? I don't think so! More like 35-40 minutes. The only time I can think of when it took that long was back on November 30 when they had that fire on I-30. In no traffic, once can be downtown in 20-25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas