Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Job Description

No RIO!

English is required but bilingual in English and Spanish / other languages needed!

Description:

Plan, organize and provide academic instruction. Plan and demonstrate strategies to facilitate the acquisition of development milestones and required knowledge. Continuously access and update the student's skills. Organize work and materials. Encourage parent participation in planning guided practice activities in the home to extend the school program. Fulfill the general responsibilities of a classroom teacher.

Bachelor's degree in any field is REQUIRED and you must have a Texas Teaching/Educator Certificate or be eligible to obtain such a certificate.

Positions Available:

Teachers in Elementary Bilingual, ESL, Math, Science, Foreign Languages, and Special Education in Pre-K, Elementary and Secondary Schools.

Elementary Teachers - $38,930 per year.

Secondary Teachers - $31,500 per year.
Is that a typo?

What does "no RIO" mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Re-Integration of Offenders. It's Texas Workforce's program to get jobs for convicted felons.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Re-Integration of Offenders. It's Texas Workforce's program to get jobs for convicted felons.
Seriously? I'm not a convicted felon, so I don't qualify (I guess). Do they assist the teacher? I've never heard of that (besides jobs for convicted felons in general, I thought they were manual labor-type stuff).

Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
it said NO RIO--that means no one who has criminal record should apply...
basically Garland is looking for teachers who have done the ALT cert process but have not done a year's teaching
or be eligible to obtain such a certificate
Teachers in Elementary Bilingual, ESL, Math, Science, Foreign Languages, and Special Education in Pre-K, Elementary and Secondary Schools.

why it would have lower salary for secondary vs elementary I have no clue--I don't think that is correct
some districts actually pay higher for special needs teachers or other classes

and that money is low -- my local districts start at 48K and think there is supposed to raise because of what the legislature did last year--
made pay raise mandatory but gave no funding for it--
really don't see how that is legal--and think the ISDs should fight it all the way to the US Supreme Court-
the public schools are not operated by the state like the Texas state workers in dept of human services or the state highway dept--
they are hired by local districts and their salaries are basically funded by the districts and our tax dollars...

Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 AM

14 posts, read 126,943 times
I'm an ESL teacher and I applied for that job. The recession is hitting the education market in Texas kinda hard not because schools are cutting jobs, but because people from other states are coming here in search of jobs and glutting our market. My tiny school that I worked for last year had over 60 applicants for a 1st grade position! I don't think there are 60 people in that town! Many of the applicants were on out of state certificates. Also, people from other industries who had taught previously are returning to the field. I was at a job fair this spring and sat next to a guy who had been in management at a computer company. He had a 10 year old certification and had done the hours to renew it and was looking for a job. Wish I had known before planning a move that this was not the year to give up my teaching job.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
actually if you had known about this site and read any of the posts last year you would have see that teaching was not a profession with looming numbers of vacancies
and in better districts in this area it has ALWAYS been difficult to get a job...

I don't know why anyone is surprised to find out how competitive the teacher market is..
having vacancies and getting an interview/job are always two separate issues in any profession--
teaching is just as clannish and "incestuous" if not more so than others..

the newspaper might print stories about the teaching shortage but that is usually restricted to jobs in special teaching fields and since the flow of people into alt-cert degrees who are often steered to special needs or ESL fields--even those areas are getting applicants...
and frankly when I see comments about how teaching is a "growing" profession I think the jobs they expect to appear are in day-care NOT in public schools...
college teaching for years has been one of the most difficult bastions to breach and getting a job in a public ISD that pays well and has decent teaching conditions is getting to be more and more difficult--
mainly because public schools don't want to do what it takes to create a viable teaching environment inside the classroom---
too many districts don't want to enforce discipline and too many students/parents don't want to do the work to really improve skills...

the downturn in the economy,
the push to allow alt-cert candidates to compete with certified teachers (based more on the lobby for those schools than read desire by the education community itself),
the way the legislature has complicated the tax/budget process for individual ISDs have all contributed to the situation districts/teachers now face...

and having Rick Perry for our govenor has only hurt not helped the process of education reform...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas