Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 9,699 times

Advertisements

Seeking feedback from buyers who have dealt with dealerships that have true Internet departments, the kind where you make contact with an Internet sales rep, and deal with that actual rep when you visit the dealership and work off the actual numbers from your email communications...

In my last two car shopping/buying experiences, I found two dealerships like I'm describing... Huggins Honda, and Park Cities Ford. I ended up making my purchases from those dealerships. The several other dealerships I contacted either had form or disinterested email communications, or once I got to the dealership, the "Internet Sales Rep" ended up being a desk jockey who pawns folks off on a regular sales rep, whoever the next "up" is in the rotation, who then proceeded with the usual foursquare deal sheet and "what kind of payment can you afford" BS, and bringing in the high pressure sales mgr closer when I start to balk. I want to deal with the former type only, true Internet reps/departments, from whom I will definitely buy... and desperately wish to avoid the latter crap at all costs.

Any recommendations? I'm mainly shopping late model used, so franchise isn't terribly vital... just great honest service with minimal BS. For new, considering Honda, Mazda and VW. Thanks in advance for any recommendations of your own positive experiences in this regard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
I bought a toyota camry hybrid from internet search--did it from Freeman in Hurst--

at the time gas was close to $5 a gallon and hybrids were selling fast--so it was difficult to get a deal

but we did deal with the guy who responded to the Internet query--and he gave me a decent price on the fuly loaded camry hybrid--one that he "forgot" when we actually came in to talk--

don't waste your time with the dealer in Decatur--he sells a ton of cars and we had the worst attention in the world when we went there to look at cars on two separate occasions...

we also bought Honda from Huggins in Hurst/NRHills area w/o Internet sales--but that was long time ago
would not recommend vanderbuilt in south arlington off 20
went there before we bought the toyota and were almost held hostage by two sales guys from Nigeria --judging by their accents-- who could not "find" my husband's trade in when we were ready to leave...

Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I bought a toyota camry hybrid from internet search--did it from Freeman in Hurst--

at the time gas was close to $5 a gallon and hybrids were selling fast--so it was difficult to get a deal

but we did deal with the guy who responded to the Internet query--and he gave me a decent price on the fuly loaded camry hybrid--one that he "forgot" when we actually came in to talk--

don't waste your time with the dealer in Decatur--he sells a ton of cars and we had the worst attention in the world when we went there to look at cars on two separate occasions...

we also bought Honda from Huggins in Hurst/NRHills area w/o Internet sales--but that was long time ago
would not recommend vanderbuilt in south arlington off 20
went there before we bought the toyota and were almost held hostage by two sales guys from Nigeria --judging by their accents-- who could not "find" my husband's trade in when we were ready to leave...
Thanks much for the recommendation on Freeman in Hurst. They are actually one of the dealers I was curious about.

The experience you had at Vanderbilt reminds me of a similar one I had at McDavid Honda in Irving and also Friendly Chev in Dallas... and I've heard of several similar experiences many other folks have had with McDavid.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
we bought two cars from two different mcdavid sales locations and did not have a problem like that

I think it was more the sales guys than the entire dealership
they were just the ones that were "up" when we walked in

you might also try the toyota in Grapevine--we looked there but they were only interested in selling us the cars they had on their lot--remember at the time what was going on with the economy and gas prices--
my friend bought a new camry--v6 top of the line--her daughter did her negotiating and she got her mom a good deal
and she has it serviced there--she likes it

I am not that crazy about Freeman's service dept...

really check out Classic Chevy in Grapevine--my husband has bought his last three SUVs from there and his sister was shopping for new car here and bought a malibu from them...
largest chevy truck dealer in US--they are not hard sell...

but the used car market is where the profit is at currently
I think most people would really get a better deal buying a new car if they know what cost on quality used car might be...that is where the dealers' profit is coming from -- from what I have read lately...

Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
I am an Internet Sales Rep at McDavid Honda in Frisco. I work my own deals. There are times when I am with a customer and another comes in and I have to find a co-worker to assist the second customer (I stay with the first customer until they are completely done, don't work two customers at the same time). If that happens, I print out all email communication between me and the customer and give it to the sales rep that is working with me. I try to find sales reps that I work well with and will be a good complement to the customer and don't mind doing an internet price.

I have "split" deals like this all the time, but it is a result of being overwhelmed at times and not a planned thing. I do try to space my appointments so that I am not double booked, but the average customer doesn't treat us car salesman with the same respect as other professions and will show up hours late or just drop by. Mind you, I don't mind that if the customer realizes I may be with someone else.

We do have one older gentleman in our department who focuses on setting appoinments and then turning them to another salesmen when the customer arrives, but the other six of us in the internet department work directly with our customer when they arrive, unless we get two customers in at the same time as I described above.

I know some dealerships set their internet department in more of the model you describe, the send an email quote, set an appointment then turn the customer to a sales rep. Usually the regular sales reps in this set up don't like dealing with the internet customers and from the customer's viewpoint, the expeience is not as pleasant (MHO).

If you would like contact info, you can DM me.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM

Thanks for all the really good info, loves2read. I appreciate it.

Appreciate your perspective, Saintmarks, but I assure you I was in cell phone contact to let my internet rep know I was on my way for our confirmed appointment and to make sure s/he was available, and when not set up with that person upon arriving, let the staff know that I was more than willing to wait to be able to work with the person with whom I'd been communicating. In only one instance was the person legitimately tied up... in all others, the department was an obvious appointment-setter only. Anyway, if I see anything online in your used inventory that catches my eye or if I decide to go with another new Honda, I will happily DM you for your contact info. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
Park Place Lexus in Grapevine and also in Dallas have true internet sales Departments. Have had good luck with them. huffineschevroletplano.com -- Ray Huffines Chevolet is where I bought a 2008 Infiniti EX for THOUSANDS below everyplace else with same car and features. It is not at all like the dealerships I have used before. More like the places we bought the kids' cars when they were in high school, but if you are buying a car under warranty what does it matter.....

Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Park Place Lexus in Grapevine and also in Dallas have true internet sales Departments. Have had good luck with them. huffineschevroletplano.com -- Ray Huffines Chevolet is where I bought a 2008 Infiniti EX for THOUSANDS below everyplace else with same car and features. It is not at all like the dealerships I have used before. More like the places we bought the kids' cars when they were in high school, but if you are buying a car under warranty what does it matter.....
Thanks, Squirl - good solid info. Park Place in Grapvine is right up the road from me. And I've heard good things from others about all the Huffines dealerships.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,429,181 times
Park Place dealerships.
Sewell dealerships.
Classic in Grapevine is one of the best stores around.
Huffines dealerships.
The Grubbs dealerships in Hurst.

I'd avoid any VT dealership, they aren't going to give you what you are looking for.

Van Tuyl Group :: Dealerships (http://www.vantuylgroup.com/dealership.html - broken link)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Park Place dealerships.
Sewell dealerships.
Classic in Grapevine is one of the best stores around.
Huffines dealerships.
The Grubbs dealerships in Hurst.

I'd avoid any VT dealership, they aren't going to give you what you are looking for.

Van Tuyl Group :: Dealerships (http://www.vantuylgroup.com/dealership.html - broken link)
Thanks much for the good list. Heard others speak highly of Sewell as well.

After looking at the VT link and seeing some of those dealerships listed, I'm not surprised at all... have heard horror stories about more than a couple of them. Good list to avoid. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas