Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM

100 posts, read 455,431 times

Advertisements

I would say Atlanta at this time just because of the concentration of blacks there. Interestingly enough, there maybe more blacks in Dallas population wise. Precentage wise the only major city with more than ATL maybe DC. The black population in the Dallas is spread out for the most. However you will get the same opportunities in Dallas that you will get in Atlanta. I am african american and you will not be lacking for black folk in Dallas.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas76 View Post
Precentage wise the only major city with more than ATL maybe DC.
I think Detroit has the highest actually with 81%. Washington DC is just over 60%.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,790 times
Atlanta is a beautiful city with rolling countryside, even hilly in some areas and very green and lush with a large varieity of different kinds of trees.
It is heavilty forested and the trees have real color in the Fall while the Spring season has trees with many colorful, beautiful blossoms.
Atlanta is a very attractive city/metro area.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
which city is better for african americans?
I have lived in both and I was going to vote for Dallas...however if that is a concern I would have to say Atlanta. Atlanta seems to be a regional mecca for AA's of all ages, education levels etc. I have an AA friend who has lived in both and will ask her and post answer later!

Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Atlanta is a beautiful city with rolling countryside, even hilly in some areas and very green and lush with a large varieity of different kinds of trees.
It is heavilty forested and the trees have real color in the Fall while the Spring season has trees with many colorful, beautiful blossoms.
Atlanta is a very attractive city/metro area.

I agree. I just returned from a trip to Atlanta and then up to VA from there. The trees are so tall, the countryside is lovely, and it is quite rolling. The crime between the two is quite comparable with Atlanta being a little higher per 100,000 people.

The weather is better than Dallas, not that it doesn't get hot and humid, but it doesn't last for what seems an eternity. Summer temperatures in Atlanta are moderated somewhat by elevation but are still rather warm. However, prolonged periods of hot weather are unusual and 100 degree heat is rarely experienced.

Dallas has 35% white non-Hispanics and Atlanta has 31% of the same. Atlanta has very few Hispanics (4.5%) whereas Dallas has a 36% population of Hispanics. Atlanta has 61% black and Dallas has 26% black.

The traffic can be bumper to bumper like in Dallas but I must say, I did feel safer in Atlanta traffic than I do when traveling in Dallas. They don't seem to drive quite as aggressively and dangerously in GA.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
They are similar cities to some extent. Atlanta is part modern, part old South, Dallas is part modern part old Southwest.

Many non-natives move to Atlanta, as a regional melting pot city, especially for young people.

Had to chime in on sports....Both have all of the pro sports teams...however SEC and ACC are big time in Atlanta. College sports are much bigger in Atlanta than pro. Sure UT is very bid in Texas, but college sports scene and proximity for road trips not nearly the same.

Atlanta and dallas have terrible suburban sprawl.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:55 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
I am an African American and have lived in both Atlanta and Dallas (originally from Florida). I prefer Dallas. The traffic is better, you don't have a state tax, and you can get better bang for your buck on housing. Both cities are easy to get used to once you learn to find your way around. I'm moving to the Los Angeles soon due to my job and I hope I can adjust there.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:06 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Atlanta has around 1.4 million blacks in the metro area
Dallas has around 820k blacks in the metro area

Both are growing at a healthy clip but Atlanta is growing a bit faster with Atlanta being the fastest growing in black population so far this decade and Dallas being 3rd behind Miami. Dallas, along with Houston, should pass the 1 million mark in the next 10 years. I'm here in the DC area and many blacks talk about going to Dallas all the time mostly because of the cost of living.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:28 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think Detroit has the highest actually with 81%. Washington DC is just over 60%.
St. Louis is also up there. Houston actually probably has a bigger black population than Dallas. I could be wrong, but it just seems like it.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
ATLANTA...
Cuz it's the hometown of Dr. King?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas