Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:33 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times

Advertisements

A few friends of mine have installed sliding electric gates to their rear/alley entry driveways flush with the fence. I'm not sure how much they spent, but it definitely addresses some security issues and reclaims some of the yard for the kids to play in without risk of getting run over in the alley.

They look like this \/ \/ \/
http://www.dfwfancyfence.com/images/...matic-gate.jpg

Last edited by tyanger; 07-17-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
currently running a search in Flower Mound for homes built from 1999 to 2010--there are over 40--cheapest one is 500K and it was built in 2001

Am I missing your point? There are lots of nice homes in FM in the 300k-400k range. What criteria are you using?

Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Am I missing your point? There are lots of nice homes in FM in the 300k-400k range. What criteria are you using?
I think she is talking about homes with at least 1 acre. One poster said that Flower Mound passed a law that homes had to be on at least an acre.

Naima

Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Oh I see..I didn't think FM was actually 1 acre zoning now, I thought she was stating she heard that is was going to be from someone a few years back. Then again I am not looking at new construction so that may be why I didn't see that. Nice for property values though for all the residents.

I personally don't need an acre, there are alot of little gems on the $350k range that would suit my fancy. A few examples below.

These houses, more than anything, illustrate what we prefer. Some trees, space, breathing room. Mature trees are always a bonus too.

4119 Mustang Trail, Flower Mound, TX, 75028 - MLS #11423693 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

4305 Morningstar, Flower Mound, TX, 75028 - MLS #11433088 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Last edited by skids929; 07-17-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 PM

409 posts, read 874,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

Anyway, I was just thinking that the lack of alleys in the new areas may also be related to their expense and who would maintain them - the city or the HOA. It just seems like people who live in mandatory HOAs are being taxed twice - once to the city and once to the HOA - but the HOA is responsible for things cities have traditionally paid for. But, I could be wrong. I have never lived in a mandatory HOA before.
Mind if I ask where do you live? My job will transfer me to Dallas soon and I don't want to live in another HOA. I was looking at Plano but I'm guessing all the newer homes are in a hoa.

Btw I agree with the OP. When I moved to Texas I was expecting large lots. Where I live now there is all of this open space surrunding my neighborhood but the houses are cramped in together

Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,394,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
-Rear entry garages

-Tiny lots with giant pools consuming the entire backyard

-A giant house literally shadowing your backyard.

I am assuming that these are things that are not favorable conditions overall for resale since I see them on sub $400k homes in desirable areas. Allen and Frisco seem to have alot of rear entry garages, and Frisco seems to have alot of what I call Sardine lots.

No offense to anyone who lives like that, but I just don't get it. Looks like an awful way to live when the only breathing room is inside your house.

The older homes (1995 and up) I see in Flower Mound for the same prices look like they are zoned with a little more thought.
More established neighborhoods, trees, and looks like the topography is different, more hills and trees on that side of the metroplex.

Question is, are there considerable differences in topography and zoning in the FW suburbs as opposed to the North Dallas area suburbs?
I hear you! I eventually found a house in Murphy that has the bigger yard so there is actually room for the pool and then an entire good sized yard for gardening as well. And the house has the garage in the front.

What I don't like is that although I have a single-story, the developer mixed 2-story and 1-story houses together. This gives me privacy on 1 corner of the yard where the other houses are also 1-story, but less privacy on the other corner where I have 3 houses that can look into my backyard in the winter when the trees don't have their leaves. Had I considered when I bought the house that these trees were deciduous, I would never have moved here. But I'm trying to remedy the problem now by putting in more evergreens. So perhaps in a few years when these trees grow...

Another thing I don't understand is that the neighborhood I'm in now, the fences are also only 6 ft high instead of the usual 8. When it comes time to replace the fence, I may see if I can put in an 8 ft high one.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:16 PM

101 posts, read 289,238 times
I totally agree. I am from Cleveland, OH and coming here and looking at the housing, I have found it very difficult to find housing. For the same reason you mentioned. Things don't make sense. I looked at homes in Richardson and Rowlett and if they happened to be new they was a huge house next to it. I also noticed how alot of the older homes cost a decent amount of money, especially in Richardson but they are older homes. So basically I feel the same way that you do, it just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,599 times
Would much rather have a house with a rear or side entry garage. Those houses with the garage in the front makes it look like you're living in a garage with front door to the side. Ug-ly! The garage shouldn't be the main focus of the house.

More pool = less mowing.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Would much rather have a house with a rear or side entry garage. Those houses with the garage in the front makes it look like you're living in a garage with front door to the side. Ug-ly! The garage shouldn't be the main focus of the house.

More pool = less mowing.

I respectfuly disagree..Having a garage in front of the house can be a architechtural detail quite honestly, and it is a very normal part of any home since we all own vehicles. Trying to hide that fact almost seems artificial to me, and the alley solution doesn't seem to be very appealing.

Maybe in texas it is the norm, but most other regions of the country have the garages in the front, so this is probably a new concept to people relocating.

And from a resale perspective, which is the premise most people own a home under-a pool isn't always a desirable feature. Particularly one that occupies the entire backyard. Grass also contribute to keeping the home cooler instead of paving over it with concrete. I would say one of the better arguments to replacing grass with something is to save on water bills since I am sure it's not cheap in texas. But a pool doesn't exactly qualify in that regard. I think I speak for alot of people when I say most people want a little green in their yard. Which would explain why greenbelt homes have a premium on them, or golf course homes.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
We have good friend in Colleyville with a sister and BIL who come down from Chicago quite a bit--they drive around mainly to do shopping in different areas--like the new Sam Moon's in Alliance area off I35-
the Chicago couple are always amazed and kind of taken aback when they see all the subdivisions that are crowded neck to knee in the areas...
they are not used to that in their part of Chicago--

I think you make a good point about shifting the responsibility for maintaining the alleys from the city to the HOA but I think you also miss the possibility that it was done for tax revenue as well...
IF the homeowner actually OWNS the area in back halfway across the alley--vs stopping at the fence boundary--that small increment over thousand of homes is going to make a difference on property values....
so by giving the HOA contol over the maintenance and the homeowner the property rights--the city really comes out ahead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas