Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

they might look better to you but IMO they take up space that could be used for the back yard area so only alarger than avg yard justifies having one
they usually cost more to build and I think they are just awkward to use
if you have one and like it--that is good for you
I would never buy a house with one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
they might look better to you but IMO they take up space that could be used for the back yard area so only alarger than avg yard justifies having one
they usually cost more to build and I think they are just awkward to use
if you have one and like it--that is good for you
I would never buy a house with one...
True, you do need a larger lot. Most of the lots on my street are +/-1 acre, a couple are just under 2, so there's no issue with lack of space. It may not come across well in the picture, but on the scale I'm talking about the set up is not awkward at all. Definitely need lot's of land though.

In my original post, I was actually kidding (hence the 'wink' emoticon) - I realize, practically speaking, most people could not use this arrangement.

Last edited by tyanger; 07-19-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,852 times
I've lived in a house with the RE garage and I hated it! It was annoying to go down the alley when another car was coming the opposite direction. Then it was always terrifying trying to pull out of my driveway and not being able to see who was coming! I much prefer the front garage. Although I wouldn't mind the port cochere type either

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,593 times
I lived in a hood with alley entry. We purchased a corner lot for the J-entry (among other reasons too). I don't much care for the alley's, they are narrow, and people tend to speed down them. My old hood had both front and rear driveways. It made the hood look good. Got out of there due to the picky, nosey HOA that we could not stand. Purchased a house with property two miles down the street in a hood with no sidewalks, more rural yet I have the city moments away.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,123 times
Does anyone have any pictures of these alleys? I would like to see what they look like.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
This is the alley behind one of my houses - I freaked when I recognized my (detached) garage:

It Took Seven Years, But Today Whole City Goes to Same OneDAY Trash Service - Dallas News - Unfair Park

Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
This is the alley behind one of my houses - I freaked when I recognized my (detached) garage:

It Took Seven Years, But Today Whole City Goes to Same OneDAY Trash Service - Dallas News - Unfair Park

YUCK!

thanks LW'r!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
YUCK!

thanks LW'r!
Yup unfortunately, that's pretty much what they look like.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
if you can recognize your detached garage from that photo you are more psychic than I thought--
and if you are the same RENEGADE as the one posting the complaint about his garage being in the photo--that is so much more of an anti-establishment name--
takes away that cool, laid-back vibe of Lakewooder...tha one makes me thing ---lake/woods/nature lover...

Old 07-19-2010, 04:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Give me my rear entry garage anyday over front entry. If I were in an area w/ acreage lots then the front entry or more side entry would not be an issue. In a neighborhood/subdivision the rear entry is so much nicer. The kids can ride their bikes on the sidewalks without having to worry about a car backing out of a driveway or cars parked blocking the sidewalk. Same for those that like to walk in the neighborhood. Clear sidewalks w/ no risk of cars blocking the path or backing out onto you.

The alley way does not bother me. As for cars coming from the other direction........ that is a non-issue. I'd say in all my years that only happens about once every other month and most people the one closest to an open driveway will pull in and let the other go by. If you are right by your driveway then a quick click of your turn signal to motion the other driver your drive way is "there" and they will wait and let you turn in.

I LOVE the fences across the back drives as well. I also like that I don't share a fence with ANY neighbors at all. When it comes time to replace it then you don't have to get their permission, worry about THEIR pets or kids, wonder IF they will pay for their portion, etc.

I have a rear entry garage AND a pool and I still have a HUGE yard. My lot is a little over 15,000 sq feet and we have plenty of room for the swimming pool, swingset/fort, trampoline, landscaping AND grassy areas for the dogs and kids to play.

It also depends on the suburb you are looking in. Some are more interested in density and the more people they can cram in the better (in their eyes). Frisco, McKinney and Allen come to mind in this scenario. My sis lives in Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney w/ a front entry garage and their neighbors are ALWAYS parking and blocking the sidewalks. Their yards are MUCH smaller than mine and they don't have a pool and they can literally reach out and touch the neighbors house thru the window. Me...... I'm on a culdesac so I've got a nice huge pie shaped lot and my neighbors can not see into my backyard at all. So I can go skinny dipping if I so chose and no one can see me. And I get bonus points cause I can hear hubby pull into the drive if I'm out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas