Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 PM

194 posts, read 306,033 times

Advertisements

I love these little guys .. we've caught a couple in our office lately .. they hitchhike in boxes. We looked them up, and they're Mediterranean geckos .. yep, from across the sea! Enough have hitchhiked across the world that they're established here and in other places across the US.

Mediterranean Gecko - Florida eco travel guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Daisy View Post
I love these little guys .. we've caught a couple in our office lately .. they hitchhike in boxes. We looked them up, and they're Mediterranean geckos .. yep, from across the sea! Enough have hitchhiked across the world that they're established here and in other places across the US.

Mediterranean Gecko - Florida eco travel guide
We have a family of them that live behind a little fridge we have on the back patio. This year was the first time I ever heard them "chirp". It was cute! They come out at night and hang out on the patio walls. Love these guys!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 AM

171 posts, read 545,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I think they're so cute. I cleaned out my storm cellar the other day, power washed and all and they "had to leave," but I'm sure they'll be back. I have gecko eggs all over my storage building and garage. When my dog kills them, I'm sad. I've had a few in the house and do my best to "push" them to safety or show them the exit before my gecko killing dog sees them.
What does a gecko egg look like? I always see them running under eaves or crevices so I assumed their "nests" were there....I didn't realize they would nest out in the open.

Before we moved to this house our last had an outside light on our porch that was on all night. We had about 10 that would hang out and stalk the moths, etc. What's funny is when they would try and attack another gecko's tail....and that was the first time I heard them chirp...cool!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
Would be cool if we had iguanas. I think it gets too cold for them though in the winter. Ill be in Key West in less than two weeks and drivign down from Miami you always see huge 3-4 foot iguanas everywhere along the road. I have gotten out and tried to catch one but they are super fast.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiis View Post
What does a gecko egg look like? I always see them running under eaves or crevices so I assumed their "nests" were there....I didn't realize they would nest out in the open.

Before we moved to this house our last had an outside light on our porch that was on all night. We had about 10 that would hang out and stalk the moths, etc. What's funny is when they would try and attack another gecko's tail....and that was the first time I heard them chirp...cool!
The eggs I see are on the floor of the garage or shed but along the perimeter, not in the center of the buildings. They're an off-white color and very small, round and/or a tad oval, and about 1/3 the size of a dime.

I didn't know they chirped ... cute!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
At least opossums don't get in your house! (I have seen a few of those up here in Plano too.)
...went to research a horrid smell in my garage storage room last year; dead baby opossum! Found another dead one on the diningroom area rug under the table....suspect one of my canines brought that one in thru the doggie door!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
why is there an "O" in front of possum? I think the "o" should be thrown out.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,392,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
"I'll take the gecko's any day over the oppossum that I saw walking down the alley the other night."...
I enjoy seeing possums in my yard occasionally. They're 'nature's garbage cleaners.' And I usually see them 'cleaning' around my compost bin--which is fine with me.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
...went to research a horrid smell in my garage storage room last year; dead baby opossum! Found another dead one on the diningroom area rug under the table....suspect one of my canines brought that one in thru the doggie door!
EWWWW!!! I'm sorry, I'd totally freak if I found one IN my house.

Several years ago at our other house we had a horrible problem w/ armadillo's. So bad that we had a trap and we would all move it around from yard to yard to catch them. Whenver we caught one the guys would take it a couple miles away and let it out by the creek near the lake. EXCEPT, I guess one got trapped on a Saturday night and we didn't find it till late on Sunday afternoon (church, lunch, etc) and it was HOT!!! That one did not make the relocation alive.

I guess no one wants to see a picture of the 4' long snake we killed in our backyard a few months ago. When we found it that morning it was actually right by the back door. I'd let the dogs out that morning and the little one went straight for it as it was under a chair on the back porch. She pointed and I was like, why are you so still and saw it. Got the dogs in FAST!!!! Then retrieved the shotgun

Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times
what does lizard poop look like? I don't know if I have mice or lizards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas