Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times

Advertisements

We recently found a little "hole in the wall" type Mexican restaurant close to our neighborhood in Plano called Chitos. I thought they were pretty authentic. (Chase Oaks and Legacy)

Plano's best mex food? DMN critic says "Chitos" | PLANO Blog | dallasnews.com
Dallas-Fort Worth Restaurants News and Reviews | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas214 View Post
I was raised in Central Illinois and the Mexican restaurants there are amazing. Of course there is at least one here and there that isn't so great but for the most part they are very good and the waiters are usually very quick and polite. I believe most of the restaurant owners come from Guadalajara. I can't speak too much for Northern Illinois or Chicago area.
Guadalajara is/was a neat city--I haven't been there in over 30 years, so I have no idea what it's like now.

I have been to all areas of Mexico except the far west and the very far south. The cuisine does vary from region to region, but one thing you will find all over is that Mexican food is defined by chile! Every area has its own flavors, but if you want hot and spicy, it's always available.

Nobody knows how to cook like Mexico, regardless of region. Too bad I can't say much else for the country nowadays!

I'm grateful for the LEGAL Mexican immigrants (don't get me started on the illegals) who have brought their cuisine with them...and offer it to us. There is no better.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
The best I've found so far is El Pollo Alegre in McKinney: 1211 N Tennessee St
Mckinney, TX 75069-2115
(214) 544-3725

The best part is that it is really close to Franconia brewery. We ate there after the tour back in January with some folks we met on the tour. Really great little taqueria. We were the only Gringo's in the place.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM

21 posts, read 37,281 times
Thank you everyone!

I've never heard of any of these places so I'm excited to go try them out.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 PM

21 posts, read 37,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
We recently found a little "hole in the wall" type Mexican restaurant close to our neighborhood in Plano called Chitos. I thought they were pretty authentic. (Chase Oaks and Legacy)

Plano's best mex food? DMN critic says "Chitos" | PLANO Blog | dallasnews.com
Dallas-Fort Worth Restaurants News and Reviews | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Those "hole in the wall" places usually have the best food!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 AM

142 posts, read 362,183 times
Go to Dona Lencha in Irving off of 183 and Story Rd I think it is, it's on the South side of the freeway. EXCELLENT food. This is authentic Mexican food.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:00 AM

54 posts, read 196,786 times
Ricardo Avila's Mextopia
2104 Greenville Ave
Dallas, TX

Featured on Food Network's "Diners , Drive-ins , and Dives"

Old 09-18-2010, 12:50 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Also try Beltline in Carrollton and Spring Valley in Richardson.

To be honest, outside the Chicago area, I find it extremely hard to believe the Mexican food is as good in Illinois as it is here.
For the 2 years that I lived in the Chicago area, our family had to go cold-turkey without Mexican food. You know you are not in an authentic mexican restaurant, when you ask for hot sauce and they bring you Tabasco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas