Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,278 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just received an offer from MNC in Dallas and having only visited Dallas once I am not sure how much should I be making. I have two kids one in kinder garden and other a preschooler. My wife is stay at home mom. Now I am negotiating salary with the company. Having not lived there ever I dont know what is a good salary. The are indicating that the base would be higher than what I make here in Seattle with full relo. So my question is how much do I need to make to live comfortably in Dallas in area with best school districts. We prefer my wife continues to stay at home with the kids for another 3-5 years. Our major goal for the move is to be able to save/invest more than what we do here. I have a home here that is under right now and would like to sustain that without the rental. I pay about 2k per month as my mortgage. So we will be renting for sometime in Dallas.

It will be great if you can rate the numbers as either Ok, Good, Great or Excellent...

$100k
$120k
$140k
$150k

-Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,102,329 times
$100k in Seattle is roughly the same in Dallas.

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Old 09-25-2010, 01:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times
Need A LOT more info to answer:

1. Where will your office be?
2. How long of a commute is reasonable?
3. What are your housing expectations (age, size of home & lot, other "amenities" like pool or master-plan community or...)
4. What kind of schools are you used to (big district or small, big school or small)?

Housing is less expensive than in Seattle, but if you want a home in "the best" school district (Highland Park ISD), bring $800k+ for an old home (1940's-ish) around 2,500-3,000sf on a .2 acre lot. $400k would get you into the next best districts (Coppell & West Plano feeder schools), but be prepared for a commute if your job is near/in downtown Dallas, and new homes only (if you happen to like old charming homes & lots of trees/green space.

Also, be prepared to be walloped with property taxes- approx $2,300 per year for every $100k in home value. ($6,900 for a $300k home)

Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,704,883 times
There are nice homes in great school districts (Coppell is excellent) to rent for about $2000 a month. I think you need to decipher what salary level you need to support your family and your other financial obligations and still pay rent about $1800 - $2200 a month plus another 15% for utilities.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,278 times
Thanks to all for your suggestions. This is really helpful. Here are some facts I would clarify:-

1. Since I have already have mortgage for my Seattle home and we are new to this area we are not planning to buy atleast for another 2 years. My current mortgage is 2000/month. I plan to rent my property if we decide to move to Dallas.
2. Our living style is modest so no extravagant expenses. Our biggest expense would be couple vacations per year.
3. We do value best public education for kids. So Coppell/Highland Park are possibilities.
4. My job is in Richardson. 20-30 minute commute each way is reasonable for me.

I will lay down my package details. Based on the profitability of the company I would make anywhere from minimum of 150k to 175k (before tax) per year. Is that reasonable...

Thanks
Marc

Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,704,883 times
If the job is in Richardson you will probably want to rent in Richardson, Lakewood, Plano or North Garland/Murphy. Lots of advocates here for the elementary school in Lakewood. It is a Dallas city area with charming old homes. It doesn't offer new homes. Richardson will get you more square footage; homes generally built in the 60's-70's. Murphy is new homes. Again, with your other obligations, if you can afford $1800-2200 a month plus about 15% utilities, you will have a comfortable but no-frill place to live in a fine school district. You would only be able to afford the smallest -- if any -- apartment in Highland Park and Coppell is too far a drive to Richardson IMO.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 PM

38 posts, read 139,714 times
Hi Marc,
I live in both Gig Harbor and Dallas. Where do you live now in Seattle? What neighborhood? Generally you will find life much more affordable here in the Metroplex however it is a VERY different lifestyle than Seattle. The neighborhood that most resembles Queen Anne or any of the Seattle neighborhoods is Lakewood. It has wonderful craftsman houses, interesting architecture. Have you spent any time down here? I had trouble adjusting here when I moved 20 years ago from the east coast. These people are so wonderful here who are giving advice. Make sure you see Plano and Richardson or anywhere else north of NW Highway before you commit to it. The privacy fences and alley's combined with the lack of hills and appreciation of the outdoors can be devastating if you are not ready for it. But yes, if you are working in Richardson I would suggest the Brentfield Elementary School. In fact I would try to live close to the school right in that neighborhood. It will be a more convenient life, very little traffic for you, but prepare to be inside without the windows open. Shopping, restaurants, and Church. All good things, just so different..the people here are so so much more pleasant that is a huge plus... Good Luck...
Elyse

Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times
Having more info now, I agree with pp's suggestion about Richardson. It is a big suburban district, however the feeder schools into JJ Pearce HS are ALL exemplary (highest rating in TX). You could not be disappointed there, plus, very short commute (15 min MAX, no highway driving needed).

I would gun for the most money you can get from this company, but anywhere in the $120-$150k range would rank you near the tip-top of your neighbors' income bracket. I think that's the key if you are most interested in moving to save/invest more money; live in a neighborhood where YOU are near the top vs in the lower-middle (where you would fall in Highland Park or West Plano) - less pressure to spend to "keep up.". The area we're suggesting is an affluent area of Richardson, just not one of the few "elite" areas in DFW. I think you'd be happy there- lots of trees and bigger lots (for Dallas suburbs). Very popular area so start stalking the rental ads soon so you don't miss out.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM

38 posts, read 154,518 times
I'm a compensation analyst from Dallas that moved to Seattle a year ago. PM me and I can tell you what would be a fair salary for Dallas, based on your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas