Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM

112 posts, read 314,876 times

Advertisements

I have a single level, 1450 sq ft home built in 1974. I'm thinking about having a radiant barrier installed in the attic to reduce my cooling costs. Anyone know of a reputable company in the north Dallas/Plano area? I know costs vary, but anyone know a ballpark cost? Thanks so much!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbelle72 View Post
I have a single level, 1450 sq ft home built in 1974. I'm thinking about having a radiant barrier installed in the attic to reduce my cooling costs. Anyone know of a reputable company in the north Dallas/Plano area? I know costs vary, but anyone know a ballpark cost? Thanks so much!
I am considering the same idea but am not aware of a company who does this in DFW. I had the radiant paint put on the back of the plywood in my home in Houston about 10 years ago. I believe I paid around $3k then for about 3200 sf of roof coverage. Are you thinking of the radiant paint product or putting up the tin foil product?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM

Not sure yet. I've done a tiny bit of research, and there are pros and cons to any method. There is also a spray foam barrier available. I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these products.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,903 times
It wasn't too hard to install myself with the Enerflex Radiant Barrier (aside from the obvious attic temperatures). It bends and "pops" in (no stapling, cutting, etc.). I got the product at Home Depot (bought a small quantity in person before ordering more online); I did have a problem with the credit card company cancelling the initial online order and having to manually authorize because it didn't fit my purchase pattern.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
It wasn't too hard to install myself with the Enerflex Radiant Barrier (aside from the obvious attic temperatures). It bends and "pops" in (no stapling, cutting, etc.). I got the product at Home Depot (bought a small quantity in person before ordering more online); I did have a problem with the credit card company cancelling the initial online order and having to manually authorize because it didn't fit my purchase pattern.
Good to know about this product..How's the performance been? How long have you had it installed?

Personally I can't see spraying something all over the backside of the sheathing. Seems like it would be messy, and if they discover at some point it causes problems or loses its performance ratings over time good luck removing it. Ideal would be roof decking with it already attached to the backside, but this product seems like it would work well too. Only weakspot with this product where it installs between rafters is the rafter is still able to transmit heat, which is why I would think foil on the back side of the rafters with a vent system would be ideal.

Thanks for the information.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,630 times
I've heard the spray isn't as effective as the solid panels. We have the panels in our house and the most we paid for AC last summer was about $170. 2500 Sq ft.

A homeowner can put up the panels or hire a handyman to do so. Recommend that avenue. Much cheaper.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Thank you so much! I will look into those panels. $170 for 2500 sq feet is amazing. I pay about that much in the summer for my measly 1450.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM

383 posts, read 733,538 times
Remember that a radiant barrier is only one piece of the puzzle. Insulation and ventilation (the vast majority of houses lack enough of both), windows, door seals, caulking, in addition to your HVAC system are other key pieces that need to be taken into account when trying to improve efficiency.

IMO radiant barriers are a good choice but you need to evaluate your entire solution because they are not a panacea and sales people frequently just make up bogus ROI figures to justify the rather pricey investment.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,630 times
I agree with Double

it's a whole house thing

the worst part of our DFW houses is the lack of ventilation of the attic. Forget the whirlybirds, the best vent is a roof vent on the apex of the roof. That plus eave vents to allow air flow.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Remember that a radiant barrier is only one piece of the puzzle. Insulation and ventilation (the vast majority of houses lack enough of both), windows, door seals, caulking, in addition to your HVAC system are other key pieces that need to be taken into account when trying to improve efficiency.

IMO radiant barriers are a good choice but you need to evaluate your entire solution because they are not a panacea and sales people frequently just make up bogus ROI figures to justify the rather pricey investment.
We bought our home in 1971 when electricity was less than 3 cents a kilowatt. Over the years have upgraded a/c. installed power ventilation, added more insulation and now am considering radiant barrier or adding more vents under the eaves at least nine more.

We also have window unit's in bedroom and computer room. We also have pretty much converted to led and cfc lighting, energy efficent dishwasher and refrigerator.

Saving electricity requires a strategy and usually investment. Another thing I need to consider is more efficient windows.

My summer electric is running between 220 and 270 for 4 months and around 100 the rest of the time. As you can see not a lot of justification to spend a lot trying to lower the bill although the green in me likes the idea of saving energy for the grand kids.

My new neighbors just spent 40,000 on solar in order to save 80% of their electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas