Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 8,732 times

Advertisements

Hello

Looking to relocate to the Dallas area, I have friends in Denton visiting there in about a month to take a look, kinda want to go with some knowledge.

I currently live in FL, Space Coast, about 15 minutes away from the beach. I am from a NJ suburb.

I am a single girl in my mid twenties and I looking to relocate. Tired of the small town mentality of this part of FL, miss being near the city don't necessary want to be completely in it.

Any suggestions about the suburbs of Dallas? I am looking in Austin maybe too. I work for a major retailer with very good transferring ability to either area. I just dont know where to focus on in Dallas.

Like I said I want to feel safe, I am ok with quiet, I have cats, dont want to be in the heart of the city but close enough to get there.

I grew up in NJ was there till I was 20 so I have experienced and love being able to take a train or other some other public transportation to NYC.

I have been in FL for a few years, understand heat and ridiculous humidity. lol.

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
To make a focus on Dallas you will first want to know your retailer location. Long drives across Dallas for work are frequently a result of poor planning and ultimately regrettable.

From Denton to downtown Dallas you'd take I-35. For your purposes, considering work location, you might consider areas from west of I-35 as far as Hwy 114, or east of I-35 to US 75. These highways, from the northern areas will funnel you towards downtown.

You don't have to tell us the retailer, but give us an idea of location, like a mall or major intersection. It will be easier to help you plan suburban living for a girl in her mid-twenties. Most of this area will be relatively safe.

Having lived in NJ and frequented NYC, you'll know that your safety largely depends on your intent and practices to be safe.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
I would look in "The Village" area of Dallas. It's about 5-6 miles north of Uptown/Downtown, where most people your age live & play....many live in The Village, too. It's a neighborhood with a dozen or more apartment complexes (covering a wide range of budgets in old and brand new apartment buildings) with a shared club house, intramural fields, tennis courts, and a big network of jogging trails that run along creeks and the other complexes. It's almost impossible to not make friends at The Village, but it's not a frat party scene- some of that type, along with young professional singles and couples and somefamilies, too.

It's close to everythig you could possibly need as far as grocery stores, restaurants, shopping, etc. It is fairly close to NorthPark Center- Dallas' $1B mall (sales) which houses everything from Gucci down to the Gap. Good chance your retailer has a store there or across the highway in the East Park development which recently opened.

I know you asked for "suburbs", but the truth is that most of the city of Dallas looks suburban. It's not an urban, densely populated city (other than a small area near downtown), like NYC or DC are. Most of Dallas looks like the suburbs- homes have big front yards (lot sizes are actually bigger in the city than most suburbs), kids play in their neighborhoods, blocks have "block parties", etc. There's no need to look in the burbs like Frisco or McKinney unless your job is there and you're unwilling to commute. Burbs are for families. Period.

Denton is FAR away- about a 40 minute drive on the weekend/ non-rush hour- so don't expect to see your friends much if you choose to live in/closer to Dallas.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 AM

59 posts, read 117,346 times
Suburbs would be horrible for your age Village is good uptown knox-Henderson East Dallas is like Austin

Old 11-23-2010, 10:58 AM

419 posts, read 998,489 times
As others have said, Dallas is primarily a suburban city. Nintey-five percent of the city is single family homes and smaller office buildings. Most houses have big yards, big trees and nice friendly people walking the streets -- if any. Don't choose the suburbs simply because you don't want to be in the "big city." You can enjoy a suburban lifestyle in the city of Dallas. The population density is not anywhere close to that of other urban centers.

For example, in Guttenberg NJ, there are 56,000 people per square mile. In Manhattan, 26,000 people per square mile. San Francisco, 16,000 people per square mile. Miami -- 10,000 people per square mile. In cities near Los Angeles (a city known for sprawl), it ranges from 18,000-11,000 per square mile. In stark contrast, the city of Dallas, has only 3,000 people per square mile.

If you choose the Dallas suburbs, you will be so far from the action it won't be much fun at all. The Village is a good suggestion, as is Knox-Henderson.

Uptown and downtown have tall buildings -- but they still have nothing that can match the density of the northeast or Miami.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM

225 posts, read 519,123 times
Hi Lindsay,

This is some great advice. With exception to work location as Tofurky mentioned, the Village sticks out in my mind as well. Just to give you other options as well, I suggest looking into Addison Circle (located off of the Dallas North Tollway in between Beltline and Arapaho) and the Uptown area (located off of 75 around Knox/Henderson). I have friends who live in both and their social calendar is always full.

I live in the suburbs and though there are a few areas that you could have fun living in like Legacy Village in Plano, it does sound like a best fit for you might be the location/s mentioned above.

Good luck! I have a feeling you'll love Dallas if you live in any of these places.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
Stay away from Austin, Texas if you want to avoid small-town mentality. Austin, Texas appears open-minded and progressive at first because the city is populated with one million people. However, it took me about 6 weeks of living in complete confusion to learn how philistine and indoctrinated everybody is there. Everybody there loves their Jesus, their college football, their beer, and their lake. Stay away. It's anti-progressive and boring as hell!

Dallas, Texas is a gargantuan world class and truly progressive city. You will find diversity in the nightlife, sports, shopping, restaurants, festivals, and arts. It's amazing. I advise that you move to Addison circle, Addison, Texas, or anywhere in Richardson, Texas.

You can learn more about what Addison, Texas has to offer here: http://www.addisontexas.net/about_addison/article_event_schedule.asp (broken link)

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-23-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the input, I am getting a little lost in maps and names of towns and apartment listings, thankfully I have someone who knows the area that I am going to visit next month.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:13 AM

30 posts, read 59,701 times
Wow, talk about coincidence. I currently live in Palm Bay, FL, and I'm moving to Dallas at the end of the week, so I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I haven't locked down where exactly I'm going to live, but I'll probably end up somewhere in Uptown. Like others have said, your work's approximate location helps in narrowing down living areas.

Good luck with the move, and maybe I'll have more answers after I get settled. Maybe I'll see you out at one of the three bars around Melbourne before I head out!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scafidi View Post
Wow, talk about coincidence. I currently live in Palm Bay, FL, and I'm moving to Dallas at the end of the week, so I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. I haven't locked down where exactly I'm going to live, but I'll probably end up somewhere in Uptown. Like others have said, your work's approximate location helps in narrowing down living areas.

Good luck with the move, and maybe I'll have more answers after I get settled. Maybe I'll see you out at one of the three bars around Melbourne before I head out!
That's is a coincidence. If you do have any insight after you get settled please share. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: