Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,241 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those who live in neighborhoods with alleys to get to your garage...do you guys (like it, hate it, no difference in opinion) and why?

My family and I just moved to DFW and are staying in an apartment in Plano until our home sells in NC. We've never seen neighborhoods like the ones in Plano, Frisco, Allen, etc. with alleys. My initial reaction is negative to a setup like this, but I just like to hear how others feel about it. We'll probably end up buying a home like this since the majority of neighborhoods in our price range have this setup. I'll get used to what we get eventually, but not to fond of the alleys at this point.

BTW...didn't think we'd enjoy North Texas like our native North Carolina, but so far you Texans are great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Welcome, glad you are liking it here so far.

There was recently another thread about this subject. I don't get why people think alleys are weird. I like for the garage to be in back for aesthetic reasons. Garages, driveways and cars detract from the driveup appeal of a home IMO. If the house is on a big enough lot, there is still room for a backyard even if the garage is in the back.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
It's designed on the European mansion model.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Prefer alleys. I don't like the look of cars in the front yard even if it has cement under it. You also don't have to share a fence with anybody. The neighborhood looks less junky looking with alleys in the back.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
I have always lived in a house with an alley until last year. Never thought much of it before...that was just how it was. But now that I've had a front-entry home, I LOVE it. I like how we can be working on the house/ playing on bikes/ etc out of our garage, and will always see a few neighbors on the street in their garages/ front of homes doing the same thing. In our rear-entry homes, we would often go days/weeks without seeing our immediate neighbors, as they pulled around back, drove straight in, and shut the garage door. Visually speaking, I suppose rear-entry home do have an easier time looking 'cleaner'...but then again, that is pretty neighborhood specific. I have seen trashy unkept neighborhoods in both situations. Our neighborhood has a lot of swing driveways, which adds dimension to the architecture of the home (read: not a flat-front) and improves the visual appearance of the neighborhood (IMO). It would be hard for me to go back to a rear-entry garage home now. ANyway, everyone has their own preference, that's just mine

Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM

FYI...there are quite a few neighborhoods in Frisco and Mckinney with front-entry homes, and in Allen too...they may not be the norm, but they are there. If that is something you really want, a good realtor should be able to direct you to their locations.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Also, where are you/your significant other working? There may be other areas better suited for you.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 PM

446 posts, read 649,515 times
I am originally from the Southside of Fort Worth and am now living in Richardson to attend UT Dallas. It's like a whole 'nother world up here--the houses are newer and bigger, nicer cars driving around, lots more spread out... and about 75% of the houses here have rear entry garages facing paved alleys.

All the changes in environmental traits took some getting used to, but I can definitely see the advantages of the rear entry. Bigger front yards, for one. Less traffic on the main roads. However, the biggest benefit I have seen is that trash is placed for pickup in the back; seeing trash out on the curb every week ain't exactly pretty, even when they are in the bins...

Oh yeah, almost forgot: the alleys also make great areas to ride my bike. I often find myself going down to Reservation and Greenwood Hills just to ride up and down the alleys. There's less traffic and obstructions than the main roadways. The only disadvantage is the chance of getting attacked by a dog, but that's just a risk that comes with cycling.

Last edited by Dark Serge; 12-11-2010 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: the neighborhood's called "Reservation", not "Plantation" >.<

Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Aesthetically, I like the garages in the back. The only downsides are that, yes, the backyards tend to be smaller. Also, I find that on streets like these more people tend to park in front of the house on the street which clutters up the road.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You also don't have to share a fence with anybody.
This can be the case, but not always true. The three rear-entry homes I lived in before all had one side of the fence shared with a neighbor...I guess it depends how they situate the driveways. Either case, FND is right in that with front-entry homes, you share fences on three sides...(or just two if you back to open space like us ). Oh, and that makes me think of a negative to front-entry...if the front-entry home lots are not very deep, then the house behind you can feel very close, as there is no alley space as a "buffer." Again, that can be neighbor specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas