Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
They sure do.

East Fort Worth near downtown, Haltom City, Keller, Richland Hills, & Saginaw all have lots of Vietnamese, Laos, Thai, & Cambodians folks.

Take a drive down Beach Street. Its lined with Asian grocery stores, pho restaurants, & jewelry stores.

Nothing remotely as impressive as Bellaire in Houston though as nothing in the entire South can come close to it...not even Pioneer in Arlington or Walnut in Garland. Beach Street is like Veterans Memorial or Scarsdale in Houston only a lot more ghetto & minus a Hong Kong Market.

Its serves its purpose on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex though.

For the most part you are correct in saying D/FW's Asian population is fragmented as opposed to Houston's.
Did you read what you bolded in my post? I said don't go further South than Arlington. All of the areas you named are north of Arlington and none are further west than Arlington (Haltom City and Richland Hills just barely). Did you look at the map? None of the areas you named have enough Asians to even make a significance on the map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Did you read what you bolded in my post? I said don't go further South than Arlington. All of the areas you named are north of Arlington and none are further west than Arlington (Haltom City and Richland Hills just barely). Did you look at the map? None of the areas you named have enough Asians to even make a significance on the map.
East Fort Worth is west of Arlington. Haltom City is Northwest of Arlington.

I'm usually not one for defending DFW as most will tell you, but this is one time I am.

I know lots of Asian who live there. Saginaw & Keller both have Buddhist temples.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 PM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
LOL. Exxon is moving to the Spring area because it wants to consolidate all of its Fairfax offices (the old Mobil HQ), and other Houston area offices (besides Downtown) into one large campus. Has nothing to do with Greenspoint. If it did, they would have moved out of there ten years ago, when crime was worse. Crime has eased up pretty well since Greenspoint's "Gunspoint" days back in the 80s and 90s. Not sure what other areas of Houston you're talking about. Just because the city is not zoned does not mean there aren't ordinances and city codes to help stop with stuff like this. Do tell the other areas that will decline. Should be good.
There certainly are other parts of town like Greenspoint namely in southwest Houston. Greenspoint became notorious because it had millions of square feet of office space, a major mall, and lots of hotels right at the heart of a new and burgeoning "ganstertown."
If it weren't for such neighborhoods going to hell in a hand basket in Southwest Houston and in Greenspoint, then the Houston area probably wouldn't be trailing the Dallas-Fort Worth area in light rail development by fifteen years.
Who was that powerful congressman from Sugarland who kept nixing light rail for the Houston area? Tom Delay? Gee, what was the reason given for him doing so? What caused Greenspoint to become a slum was the expansion of mass transit into that area where a lot of unzoned apartments with "efficiencies" were allowed to fall into disrepair. A lot of apartments in southwest Houston were also allowed to become run down.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-17-2010 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
East Fort Worth is west of Arlington. Haltom City is Northwest of Arlington.

I'm usually not one for defending DFW as most will tell you, but this is one time I am.

I know lots of Asian who live there. Saginaw & Keller both have Buddhist temples.
Defending DFW against what? No one was bashing DFW. Like the map shows, there aren't a significant number of Asians in those areas you named. That's why I said the majority of DFW's Asians don't go further South or West than Arlington.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninAZ View Post
My girlfriend and I are wanting to relocate to texas but cannot decide between dallas or houston. I have friends in texas that say dallas and friends that's say houston. here is what I am looking for :

Green spaces- parks, lakes, rivers and trees

Vibrant- festivals, restaurants, museums

Fairly attractive- not trashy or dumpy looking but also not sterile.

Mixture of modern and historical

That Texas feel.

Be able to live in a nice area for rent and not have to spend a ton for something basic.

-here is what we dont want.

Very high taxes on a home.

crime all over. I like it confined to certain areas.

Not run down or depressing

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Can not not go wrong with Dallas or Houston. I prefer Houston. Plus, Houston is closer to the beach. That is if you like to call Galveston a beach.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 5,942 times
I would say houston with kemah, miller outdoor theater, breakfast Klub, Houston Rodeo, Galveston Mardi Gras, Galleria mall, Pearland town center (lined with palm trees),cajun food restaurants, Houston Pavillions, Clear Lake, Westheimer Strip, Memorial and Hermann Park, Museum District, The Woodlands, Discovery Green, Art Car, International, Carribbean Festivals.............I could go on, but thats a start.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times
Quote:
Defending DFW against what? No one was bashing DFW. Like the map shows, there aren't a significant number of Asians in those areas you named. That's why I said the majority of DFW's Asians don't go further South or West than Arlington.
Asians are over rated.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Asians are over rated.
I think conservative white people are over rated. But thats just me.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
If we assume for a moment that Dallas and Fort Worth are seperate metro areas (and by ACS data):

Dallas (Dallas, Collin, Denton, Rockwall, Ellis, and Kaufman counties) is 5.7% Asian
Fort Worth (Tarrant, Johnson, Wise, and Parker counties) is 3.6% Asian

So I would overall agree with this statement. The largest group of Asians on the Fort Worth side are Vietmanese. There are also more Lao residents on the Fort Worth side in the Haltom City area. Other than that, most tend to stick on the Dallas side.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
If we assume for a moment that Dallas and Fort Worth are seperate metro areas (and by ACS data):

Dallas (Dallas, Collin, Denton, Rockwall, Ellis, and Kaufman counties) is 5.7% Asian
Fort Worth (Tarrant, Johnson, Wise, and Parker counties) is 3.6% Asian

So I would overall agree with this statement. The largest group of Asians on the Fort Worth side are Vietmanese. There are also more Lao residents on the Fort Worth side in the Haltom City area. Other than that, most tend to stick on the Dallas side.
You obviously don't know much about Laos people in Saginaw or Keller then, both on the Fort Wort side of the Metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas