Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I wasnt talking about the vegetation. I was talking about the feel of the city and the people. In which case, Dallas does not feel like that at all. Dallas doesnt really feel like anything culturally. Its just Dallas.

What is this desert you are talking about? You would have to go hundreds of miles to the west to find a desert from DFW. I have also never seem tumble weed in Dallas. I doubt you have either.

Besides Dallas and Houston are full of concrete, its hard to tell what they are (from a vegetation standpoint) until you go outside the city.
Re-read what I said.

I said people often associate Texas with desserts & prairies. Dallas is indeed on a prairie & representative of what Texas is to outsiders. It is also not whats so representative of Texas as a whole because its a small island of Liberalism (by Southern standards anyways) in the heart of the Bible Belt due to an increasing minority population.

Someone coming from the West or East Coast would laugh if you said Dallas was liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Someone coming from the West or East Coast would laugh if you said Dallas was liberal.
That same crowd would laugh if you said Houston was liberal. To the outsider, only Austin fits that bill.

Either way, I said nothing about politics.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM

229 posts, read 606,806 times
You'll have to excuse MM, he's kind of dopey.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM

I don't see Dallas having an openly lesbian or gay mayor. Houston has the first one in US history.

Houston has not had a Republican for mayor in almost 30 years while Dallas has had many in that time. As a matter of fact, your mayor now is a Republican.

Yes to outsiders Austin is more liberal than Dallas & Houston, but its only what they've been lead to believe, not what is actual fact. Smoke & mirrors.

Beyond UT, 6th Street, & the steps of the State Capital, Austin is neither weird nor liberal.

What does Austin have to do with this thread anyways? I never even mentioned the place. It was between Houston & Dallas last time I checked.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-14-2010 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
I've lived in Dallas/Fort Worth (both cities, actually) and Houston and I feel like people make out more differences than there actually are. No specific city has a monopoly on Texas culture or friendliness or quality of life. If you've ever lived outside of Texas, you will find that all of these big Texas cities are much more similar than you would care to admit. San Antonio is the only big city that truly feels unique from the others to me, and that's including Austin and Fort Worth which for some reason other people mistakenly think have such stark differences from Dallas and Houston. If an outsider were to ask me where he would like living better, Houston or Dallas, I would say it doesn't matter. Go wherever you get a better job.

And Metro Matt, I would say Dallas is slightly more liberal than Houston. Yes, Houston has a gay mayor. Dallas has a gay sheriff. Dallas also has the largest openly gay district in the state. Dallas may have a Republican mayor right now, but it votes much more consistently blue than Houston across the board. In the end though, like everything else, Dallas, Houston, and even Austin are all pretty moderate to moderately conservative by west coast and New England standards. These cities are only truly liberal in a Texas mindset.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I don't see Dallas having an openly lesbian or gay mayor. Houston has the first one in US history.

Houston has not had a Republican for mayor in almost 30 years while Dallas has had many in that time. As a matter of fact, your mayor now is a Republican.

What does Austin have to do with this thread anyways? I never even mentioned the place. It was between Houston & Dallas last time I checked.
Youre being very dense and closed minded. Youre using political party to determine how conservative a person is by itself. Truth be told Parker and Leppert are way more similar in their views than different.

Anise Parker is gay, but I would not call her liberal all the way around. Houston voted for her because of her fiscal conservative policies, not because she was gay.

Texas Conservative Review: Parker is a Fiscal Conservative | In the News | Annise Parker for Houston (http://www.anniseparker.com/article/texas_conservative_review_parker_is_a_fiscal_conse rvative/ - broken link)

Parker is a socially open minded, but so is mayor Leppert of Dallas. Leppert has actually been called gay friendly by Pegasus News and he goes around the US touting Dallas as a gay friendly destination. Lepperts chief of staff is also openly gay. Leppert is socially open minded.

Dallas Mayor Leppert now deemed "gay friendly" | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

Dallas Mayor Leppert touts city as gay destination | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

Like Parker, Leppert is fiscally conservative.

At the end of the day, there only thing different between the two is one is a democrat, one is a republican, one is a lesibian, and one is a straight man. Other than that, their way of thinking is very similar.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM

I don't see how anyone can sit there & say Dallas is more liberal than Houston when Houston has not had a single Republican running the city in almost 30 years versus Dallas.

Houston is just outside of the Bible Belt where Dallas is right in the heart of Southern Baptist bible thumping country.

Montrose is about the same size as Oaklawn & Houston's gay population is actually larger than Dallas' by sheer numbers not percentages.

I present to you...the Bible Belt
http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/2010/07/BibleBelt.png (broken link)

Notice how predominately Catholic cities like Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Corpus, & New Orleans straddle or are outside of the red.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can sit there & say Dallas is more liberal than Houston when Houston has not had a single Republican running the city in almost 30 years versus Dallas.

Houston is just outside of the Bible Belt where Dallas is right in the heart of Southern Baptist bible thumping country.

Montrose is about the same size as Oaklawn & Houston's gay population is actually larger than Dallas' by sheer numbers not percentages.
In terms of metro area, DFW's gay population is larger than Greater Houston's in percentage and sheer number.

I suppose its just easy to ignore what I wrote in my last post that adresses your first paragraph. You are being closed minded and dense.

As for the whole Southern Baptist thing, the DFW metroplex is a whopping 1.8% moreso than Greater Houston. And according to that map, Houston is in the bible belt, just on the edge of it. Like Houston, the city of Dallas (and Collin county too) is predominately Catholic.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
In terms of metro area, DFW's gay population is larger than Greater Houston's in percentage and sheer number.

I suppose its just easy to ignore what I wrote in my last post that adresses your first paragraph. You are being closed minded and dense.

As for the whole Southern Baptist thing, the DFW metroplex is a whopping 1.8% moreso than Greater Houston. And according to that map, Houston is in the bible belt, just on the edge of it. Like Houston, the city of Dallas (and Collin county too) is predominately Catholic.
Well being about 700,000 larger it only seems natural there would be more gay people in D/FW than Metro Houston. The difference isn't all that drastic, really & the fact Houston has as many gay bars & clubs as D/FW says a whole lot.

Are you telling me a gay person in Plano could lead a happy life watching all those made up soccer moms cart their kids around in SUV's?

Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Metro Matt, both Dallas and Houston are liberal, you dope. It doesn't matter which one is more liberal, neither are conservative. It's not an either/or proposition.

And a gay person could totally live a happy life in Plano if he were into suburban living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas