Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomer View Post
It was very hard pressed to find a neighborhood that would make us feel comfortable. We did, however, find one neighborhood that embarked on the homes we would consider. The majority of the homes seem to all fall in the same range. We really don't want to "stand out". I think the house styles in Highland Park are more our style. We also do enjoy the home options here in West Plano. So to that end, I think we still need to find a 4 year HS versus the mega schools of PISD. I have jotted down some of the ideas from you all and visiting the areas and schools daily.

Before Ohio, we lived in LA. Our daughter was not in school at that time so we did not have to worry about the "woes" of the city and raising children. In Ohio, as many of you know, we just did not have to worry about those "woes" either. So we are treading lightly here to do our best to give her the upbringing we worked hard to achieve and not have her get lost in a larger city. I am sure we will achieve our initiative and I certainly appreciate your insights. Thank you.
All of your comments point towards HPISD as a very good option for your family. The Park Cities are really the best of both worlds- being in the city and able to easily take part in city activities (museums, galleries, performing arts, dining, shopping, etc) but being in a very very very small community where everyone knows everyone.

I think PISD (which serves something like 60,000 students) would feel more like being lost in a "big city" than being in HPISD which serves about 7,000 total students.

In HPISD, the teacher/ principal/ advisor/ superindendent would NEVER EVER EVER blow off a student who was seeking extra help or a parent calling with a concern. There, your student has a NAME and PERSONALITY and isn't just a number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 03:31 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,098,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
In today's Dallas Morning News, there is a list of the "WORST" schools in the area, defined as having test scores so low that the school is rated "Unaccaptable" by the Texas Education Agency.

McKinney High School is the ONLY Collin County HS to make the list. I know there are other high schools in McKinney ISD, but I would proceed to that district with extreme caution.
Really? A more complete story would better reflect the reasons around and for the misinformation. and "that" school is not rated "Unacceptable", it is rated "Recognized".

McKINNEY Blog | dallasnews.com

Quote:
coding errors in tracking students who left the school were to blame for the low completion rate that triggered the rating.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM

247 posts, read 568,241 times
West Plano is a great idea!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
West Plano is a great idea!
Yes, buying a house in West Plano would certainly solve all the OP's problems.

Oh, wait, they've come about BECAUSE of living in West Plano. Nevermind.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM

17 posts, read 54,077 times
Check out Allen.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchandle View Post
Check out Allen.
If they are not liking the big high school of Plano West they sure won't like Allen HS.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:09 PM

164 posts, read 792,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchandle View Post
Check out Allen.

My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't live in Frisco if you paid me. Allen is a well managed city. I picked it over all your choices.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't live in Frisco if you paid me. Allen is a well managed city. I picked it over all your choices.
Allen is well managed because it's smaller in land area and not growing as fast as Frisco. Do agree on Allen >> Frisco though. They have a lot of new things that recently go completed in Allen. But, the high school would be too big for the OP.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But, the high school would be too big for the OP.
Yes! Thank you! I cannot believe how few posters actually read the OP and understood this poor mom is looking for a much smaller school. 1,000 kids per grade in Allen vs 1,300 in Plano isn't going to move the needle!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,675 times
My sister and her husband both work for Frisco ISD. He's the principal at Gunstream Elementary, and she works at another Elementary. Her daughter attends Centennial High and is so far happy with it.

As far as quality areas in Frisco you could check out Starwood (Homes are pretty high priced) or Stonebriar area.

Highland Park is EXTREMELY ritzy, I've only visited this area once (to check out nice homes) I believe the average home price is $700,000 or so, and I dont know much about their schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas