Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 56,516 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are desperately looking for a neighborhood or apartment community that restricts children.
Here's the catch. We're only 26 & 28 years old. We have zero desire to have children and are tired of having other peoples children pushed on us.
I'm really holding onto some major hope out there that this just isn't something I'm going to have to put up with for the next 30 years before we can get into a 55+ "retirement" community.

Is there anything like that in Dallas? or hell, anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
What kind of neighborhood do you live in where people push their children on you?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Do you live in Dallas? If so, where are your jobs?

Off the top of my head and not knowing your budget or what kind of property you want, look in Uptown/ Downtown/ Deep Ellum/ Oak Lawn/ Turtle Creek neighborhoods in Dallas. The schools are pretty much horrible in those areas so very few people have kids there. Most are actually single or young marrieds (like yourselves) or empty nesters craving the "urban" lifestyle....walking to dinner or the movies and such. This would be mainly apartments (avg rent $1,000+ for a 1 br), condos (avg $175k for 1 br and $250k for 2 br), or townhomes (avg $300k range). Very few single family homes and the ones that are there are pretty expensive ($500k+).

If you want a huge honkin brand new house for $250k....you're SOL because those neighborhoods attract kids & families like water attracts mosquitos

PS- until you're waaay past the child-bearing age (say, 50), someone somewhere (work, family, neighbors, random strangers making chit-chat) is going to be asking when you're going to have kids or why you don't want them/ don't have them yet. Get used to it.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
Look in older neighborhoods w/o sidewalks. We don't have many kids living around us and those that do aren't obvious b/c no sidewalks. Oh, also we don't have highly rated schools serving our community. Houses that are rentals generally rent for $3500 - $5800 in our neighborhood and if that's in your range DM me and I'll tell you more.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,765 times
There really isn't a specific area that I would recommend as children can be found everywhere. Heck, I live in a downtown highrise and there are still children around. I get very annoyed when people let their children intrude on my space with their crying and running around... parenthood will be difficult for me hahaha

Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Having "Adult only" communities was declared illegal back in the early 1980s.

As TurtleCreek says, look for areas in DISD which have horrible schools. When we lived in Little Forest Hills, there were zero children in our neighborhood. The school bus didn't even come down our street...

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM

229 posts, read 606,872 times
This post is great. I'm so tired about listening to my boss go on and on about his dumbass kids. Guess what? No one gives a ****!!!! They're little ****heads who will most likely not contribute to this world in a meaningful way. I can't say I have, and I'm a relatively good person.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll definitely look into these areas.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,186 times
Have you considered a commune??

Man, couple of grumpy curmudgeons in this thread...I mean I understand not wanting to live in a development filled with kids and families, seems easy enough to find..But not wanting kids around so much that you want some written covenant seems silly, selfish...

Hey kids aren't for everyone, I understand that but lighten up a little, jeez. Seems like a sad existence to me quite honestly. I don't expect anyone without kids, and who undertakes such an effort to live away from them to understand the gift that child is in your life. It's truly a magical thing..And as much as some get annoyed hearing about kids from people who have children, we kid people get generally sick of listening to people who consciously decide not to have kids for stupid reasons..My suggestion, get over it, you were a kid once, so cut them and the people that are brave enough to raise them some slack.

Last edited by skids929; 12-22-2010 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM

I have a little sister that is 2 years old that I love very much. So yes, I understand what a child can mean to people. HOWEVER, when most parents don't actually PARENT their children and leave them playing in the street, destroying property, and screaming up and down the neighborhood can be INCREDIBLY frustrating.
When there are parks and playgrounds literally a block up the street and there are toys and bikes laid across the road? No thank you.
I will NOT "cut them and the people" any slack until they pick up their own slack in raising their children.

It's your attitude exactly that makes people like me seek out child-free areas.

Last edited by Keket; 12-22-2010 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas