Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,827 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas from Cleveland, OH. I am going to work at University of Texas South Western medical center in Dallas.
Looking for good school district for my daughter and reasonable commute to UTSW. Please suggest good neighborhoods with good schools, I am planning to rent for 6mths and then look for a home in 250k range.

I found the following areas Las Calinos, Farmers branch, Carrallton, Coppell, Richardson and Plano. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 02:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I would search by school districts and not towns since school district boundaries do not match city limit lines. Then, with some school districts, you'll need to select specific schools and then seek housing zoned to that school and then confirm that it has room for new students.

I would look at anything in Coppell ISD (school district) which also covers part of Las Colinas, Plano ISD near the Dallas North Tollway, and some schools in Richardson ISD that are closest to the Dallas North Tollway (some of the city of Dallas is in Richardson ISD and Plano ISD in those parts).

There are only a few good schools in Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD (and the mayor of Farmers Branch is trying to break that district up, more power to him) and there are a few good schools in Dallas ISD.

It might help to narrow your search if you could tell us what you are looking for in a school - size, demographics, special programs, grade level, etc. Have you considered private school? In Texas all public school kids must take and pass the TAKS tests, but private schools don't have to deal with TAKS.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 12-29-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Richardson west of 75 would probably put you in the best position in regards to:
-minimizing commute
-exemplary rated schools
-wide selection of homes under $250k
-homes & apartments (your only choice for a 6-mo lease as someone renting out a home wants a 1 year lease in place) zoned to the same schools. Especially important if you're uprooting a child. You don't want them to be in one school while you rent and another when you buy.

Coppell would have some of the best schools on your list, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a home there for $250. Townhome, perhaps. Home, no.

Carrollton & Farmer's Branch are not known for having good schools.

Plano schools are very good but a lot of people complain about the availability of homes in the $200k range there.....whereas in Richardson, a $250k home is going to get you a 1950's or 1960's home that's been gutted & remodeled (newer kitches, newer baths)....a $200k range home in Plano is going to get you a 1985 home that hasn't been touched in 25 years (will need a new roof soon, will have old brassy fixtures, etc). $200k homes in Plano that have been updated GO FAST. My friend & her husband recently sold their renovated home for just under $200k- had a full-price offer in the first 10 days it was on the market. Plus, Plano puts you one ring futher out from UTSW in terms of the highways that "loop" around Dallas. Every loop you have to cross is one more potential back-up during your commute.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Lots of UTSW staff live in Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. I have a tenant who is a doc there. It takes him about 20 minutes to get to work from Irving. Many parts of Las Colinas are served by Highly rated schools. you can check out the schools' ratings before renting. That info is widely available.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
For renting, Valley Ranch would be your best bet. You might find something in the M-Streets to rent as well, but the schools aren't great.

I would spring for Coppell. You can find a nice (perhaps smaller and older) home in Coppell for 250K. Richardson isn't bad, but Coppell's schools are better.

Ditto other posters about the schools in Carrollton and Farmers Branch.

The commute from Plano will suck--don't do it.

And before someone suggests Lakewood...it is definitely out of your price range.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I did the Plano to UTSW commute for four years in med school...unless you're planning on leaving really early and coming home really early or late, don't do it...the traffic on the DNT is a bear.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,212 times
I work in Coppell, and you can get to UTSW in about 20-25 minutes at 8 am in the heat of rush hour, many times I can even get all the way down town in that time frame. I do it quite a bit at that time of the morning, I'm not going to say an ocassional wreck may not slow you down. The only real problem is people using the south bound exit lane to to skip past the eternally stalled two main through lanes at the intersection of I-35 and LBJ eastbound, but that generally doesn't take terribly long to get through, especially if you go around the people trying to merge back into the LBJ main lanes on the shoulder. But of the choices you presented, Coppell seems to be the logical choice.

There are presently 60 homes for sale under $250k in Coppell. Most of which are not townhomes. I wouldn't say west Richardson is a bad choice either as Turtle Creek mentioned, south of LBJ the commute down the tollway is a breeze. Plano is a bit far for UTSW if you are wanting to limit commute as has been mentioned before.

Anyway you slice it, you're probably talking about 20-25 minutes with the requirements you mentioned for living.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,827 times
Thank very much for all your advices, It is helping me a lot.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Coppell would be my first pick for your situation.

I would pass on the city of Plano, but if you happen to think Plano ISD is where you want to be, you could also consider the portion of PISD located in Dallas. Anything east of Midway and north of the Dallas County line (roughly, Trinity Mills) would put you in PISD (and at least 15 minutes closer to UTSW than most of Plano proper). The portion west of the Dallas North Tollway would be squarely in your price range.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
You might find something in the M-Streets to rent as well, but the schools aren't great.
Look in the Stonewall Jackson attendance zone:

http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/eszones2010/JacksonStonewall2010.pdf (broken link)

It's a Blue Ribbon School and has been named to best of Texas lists by Texas Monthly and TBEC (Texas Business and Education Coalition) - it's also adjacent to SMU and all that it offers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas