Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,493 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm relocating to Dallas and hoping for a <30 minute commute to UTSW. I ideally want good schools (willing to move to a place with good elementary only with an option to move in the future), a 3-4 bedroom single family home with at least a little yard for MAX $<380-400,000.

I'd prefer a relatively urban and diverse environment and an established neighborhood with older homes closer to work. But I'd consider newer homes in a newer suburban neighborhood with a slightly longer commute if I have to make sacrifices for good schools. I would be interested in taking the light rail if it was convenient to home.

I am fortunately somewhat flexible with my hours at work, and tend to go to work a little later than most, say around 9 a.m.

I've heard about the "M" streets and the neighborhood appeals to me but I'm a little concerned about variable school quality in that area. For example, I don't want to move to an area zoned to a great elementary if it's going to tank in a year or two.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Actually, the M-Streets or Lakewood sounds perfect for what you're looking for. Stick to the Stonewall Jackson or Lakewood Elementary school zones.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Actually, the M-Streets or Lakewood sounds perfect for what you're looking for. Stick to the Stonewall Jackson or Lakewood Elementary school zones.
Also consider Lipscomb Elementary. Another great school in that area. You might want to look in Munger place, or the homes on Bryan Pkwy. I know of one that just came available on Bryan that might fit your needs perfectly (I know the family who just moved away) These are great areas, in your price range, and Lipscomb is a fantastic school, in the Woodrow feeder pattern.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Lakewood is what you are describing. Not really that easy to do light rail unless you catch the train at Mockingbird Station (closer to Stonewall Jackson Elementary) or Baylor Medical Center (closer to Lipscomb). But the commute by car is not bad - 20 minutes or so and you needn't get on freeways. Of the three Lakewood Elementary is the largest and most 'social'. It's extremely popular and 73% of the kids there last year went on to the middle school (J. L. Long, an IB candidate school). The high school, Woodrow Wilson (an IB World School as of March), is even more popular and has not only students from Long feeding in, but transfers from other public and private schools.

Here are some photos from the high school homecoming parade last week:http://photobucket.com/2011WoodrowHo...adeandPepRally most of the elementary schools and the middle school participated. There's a lot of spirit, friendly people and camaraderie, much like a small town.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post

Agree with this recommendation! Check zips 75214 & 75206 and look for homes zoned to Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson Elementaries. They've been good for decades- no need to worry about them "tanking" while your kids are there.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Also part of 75223 is in Lakewood Elementary - Hollywood Heights.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Here are some homes on the market zoned for Lakewood & Jackson elementaries, to give you an idea of what your budget buys you "in town". These are great neighborhoods- stable to growing real estate values; never really got hurt in the downturn, 100% built out as they were developed in the 1910-1940's. M Streets has less new "McMansion" construction than Lakewood proper due to conservation overlays. Schools are diverse-> white students are a minority by 6th grade although these two elementary schools have over 50% white students. Balance of students are mostly Hispanic with a little bit of other races/backgrounds. Fairly liberal area in a church-going Democrat kind of way (Texas liberals). Takes pride in uniqueness vs sameness- lots of residents own the shops, stores, bars, yoga studios, etc in the neighborhood. The main shopping districts are Lakewood Village and along Mockingbird Lane. Tons of restaurants & nightlife up & down Greenville Avenue and on Henderson Ave (east/west street that intersects 75).

PS- if you google the addresses, you'll find other realtor sites with many more pics than the few realtor.com has.

5842 Morningside Ave Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11644949 - Realtor.com®
6164 Marquita Ave Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11647982 - Realtor.com®
5250 Monticello Ave Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11332172 - Realtor.com®
6723 Santa Maria Ln Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11610698 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas