Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 AM

83 posts, read 359,829 times

Advertisements

How bad it is to have Master bedroom in the second floor in DFW particularly in North Dallas (Plano, Frisco, McKinnley)

I am looking for a SFH in metroplex particularly in the above areas I was told to avoid houses with master bedrooms in the second floor, but I like couple of the houses I saw with master in the second floor and also I get a very good deal on those ones.

Just wondering how bad it is in this areas to have master bedroom in the second floor? Thanks for your insight.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 AM

247 posts, read 568,001 times
There is no problem with having the master on the second floor, though it is "standard" or "more common" to have it on the first floor.

Why? No moral, legal or ethical reasons that I can think of. I would just guess people on the first floor would not like hearing the master couple "doing their coupling" upstairs late at night (LOL!), as upstairs floors usually are wood and downstairs floors are cement, and its also more convenient for the master couple to have access to their room downstairs...as they own the place and why should they have to walk up those dang stairs!

If those things don't matter to you - who cares? I would say buy the place, especially if you can get a deal! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2010 View Post
How bad it is to have Master bedroom in the second floor in DFW particularly in North Dallas (Plano, Frisco, McKinnley)

I am looking for a SFH in metroplex particularly in the above areas I was told to avoid houses with master bedrooms in the second floor, but I like couple of the houses I saw with master in the second floor and also I get a very good deal on those ones.

Just wondering how bad it is in this areas to have master bedroom in the second floor? Thanks for your insight.

Thanks.

Last edited by dallas90210; 12-31-2010 at 05:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
It's one of those silly self fulfilling prophecies in Dallas:

1. house = big purchase = should be easy to re-sell to potentially recoup/gain some money
2. stairs = potentially an obstacle (for lazy people or it seems (from similar threads) the vast majority believes they'll live until old age in the house and stairs don't compute with the anticipated couch potato future)
3. potential obstacle = potential re-sale problem, which conflicts with #1

Run this cycle a few times and now you know why you are getting good deals on those homes.

The logical conclusion is to totally low-ball. You'll not change the value dynamics but you get a home that you like for a price that will defuse #3.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Matt, the biggest kicker with master upstairs is age... the parents & the kids. As we get older going up and down stairs is not as easy. I've worked with hundreds of buyers over the years and almost anyone over 35 prefers or demands the master to be down. Young couples buying starter homes are more open to the master up and many times they like having the little ones close by.

By the time their kids are older and they have all aged some, the master up becomes a true negative. I've had many a client tell me with time they regret the master up because the kids are so close and they can have little privacy. Nothing like having a 12 year old next to mom & dads bedroom wall.

It is not just an old wives tale about the master down which is why on Non-Starter, more expensive homes the Builders usually build master down homes. That's what's in demand. If you are buying a lower priced starter home, master up is less of a factor in resale.

Many families like having that additional game / family room upstairs which many times must be eliminated if the master is up. Anytime I work with a client I ask a lot of questions to find out what fits their needs. The master up or down question ranks high on my list to ask because to many people it is a deal breaker.

The above is all basic generalities. DFW with over 6.5 million people, I'd bet you could find a few hundred thousand who would disagree.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 AM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
One BIG reason for not having the master up is when the owners get older, and have surgery with a lengthy recovery, climbing the stairs to the bedroom is not possible! My parents have had 3 knees replaced, and a thoracic surgery, and each time, they were very thankful that their bedroom was on the main floor of the house!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
resale value....

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Rakin is right on the money with his answer. I am going to be moving to the area once I can sell my house here and I won't look at any without the master down (at least 2300 sq ft). But then, I am already older.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:04 PM

83 posts, read 359,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
...I would say buy the place, especially if you can get a deal! =)
actually deals are pretty good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
....The logical conclusion is to totally low-ball. You'll not change the value dynamics but you get a home that you like for a price ...
yes, that is what I was originally thought, now I am rethinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
... By the time their kids are older and they have all aged some, the master up becomes a true negative......If you are buying a lower priced starter home, master up is less of a factor in resale.....The above is all basic generalities. DFW with over 6.5 million people, I'd bet you could find a few hundred thousand who would disagree.
I am rethinking based on what Rakin as stated, for just one simple reason I might retire in less than 10 Yrs and I know I won't be in a position to sell the one I am buying now and buy a bigger one later, hence I have to plan for something I will spend my time at a little older age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
... My parents have had 3 knees replaced, and a thoracic surgery, and each time, they were very thankful that their bedroom was on the main floor of the house!
agreed,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
resale value....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Rakin is right on the money with his answer....I won't look at any without the master down.... But then, I am already older.
agreed,..

I am glad I turned to this forum to check about this; originally I thought master bedroom upstairs in Dallas is similar to having garage at the rear side (i know that is a whole big discussion) meaning it is done for a purpose in DFW which I am still not able to rationalize sorry, I know many of you like rear garages; same with having a huge front yard and comparatively small back yards something I am not in agreement with. But at least in our case it looks like it is better to have Master bedroom in the first level, I am still tempted with the deals on couple of properties i got, now I need to work on the pros and cons based on the feedbacks

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Matt, If you are nearing the age of retirement you might even consider a 1 story house. We just downsized into one and love not having to go up stairs. If you have kids / grandkids who stay long periods with you then a 1 1/2 story or a full 2 story might be the way to go.

As we Baby Boomer's age, 1 story homes are becoming hot properties and the demand is increasing. I've had several older couples who have many grandkids buy 1 1/2 story so the grandkids have some private space upstairs.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
For best resale prospects (meaning finding a home to which the most potetial buyers would be attacted), buy a home that is "normal" for the neighborhood. It seems in most newer neighborhoods, masters are down. So if you are buying in a new neighborhood, buy a master down home.

Conversely, in many old neighborhoods where two-story homes were built in the 1910-1940's, the masters are up and that is "normal" and expect there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: