Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 AM

38 posts, read 90,173 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how the Public transit in Dallas stacks up against a city like St. Louis (where I live now) that has light rail and bus.

In St. Louis you can get around at almost any hour of the day almost every day of the year either by train or bus and there are stops everywhere. How does this compare to Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM

554 posts, read 1,197,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonathanCr View Post
I am wondering how the Public transit in Dallas stacks up against a city like St. Louis (where I live now) that has light rail and bus.

In St. Louis you can get around at almost any hour of the day almost every day of the year either by train or bus and there are stops everywhere. How does this compare to Dallas?
We have DART Rail and Bus. Some of the bus lines near the rail stations are synchronized to the trains. DART Rail has a total of 4 Lines. Red, Blue, Green and Orange. The Orange Line currently runs select trips during rush hour along the Green and Red Lines. In 2012, the Orange Line will split off on its own and serve Irving. In 2014, the Orange Line will serve DFW International Airport. Metro-St. Louis has 37 rail stations. DART has 55 rail stations. Below is a map of the current rail system and a link to a video rendering of the Orange Line to DFW International.

DFW International Airport Rail Video: Sky Talk: A view of light rail to D/FW Airport

Last edited by TowerGuy; 01-05-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM

702 posts, read 2,724,440 times
I work from home and have my own car so I only ride the dart on occasion. I do know that many people rely on it as their sole means of transportation, but most Dallasites drive their own vehicles. I expect ridership to increase when the line that will go to DFW airport opens; I know I'll be using it more then.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

446 posts, read 649,631 times
The system here is pretty dang good, I'd say, although there are a lot of cities that elect not to participate. Since I ain't got the money to drive, I depend on DART, and it works quite well for me. Through rail/bus transfers I get to where I need to go fairly efficiently almost every time.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM

333 posts, read 639,299 times
I ride it daily! and I also have a car

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,972 times
I drive my car most times. Only do Dart when we have snow and I like it.
Also, when my car broke down last year, I used Dart and was pleasantly surprised.
I do live within the triangle of 35/ 635 / 75.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
DART works well for commuters IF your office & home are both close to rail stations, 75%++ people do not fall into that category though.

It also works well to take it to events & attractions- like the State Fair of Texas and other events (Cotton Bowl, etc) at Fair Park, to the zoo, etc.

There are a lot of bus routes but traffic can be a bear here so busses are often behind schedule / delayed. It can literally take an hour to take a bus 15 miles.....something you could have driven yoruself in 15-30 minutes by having the option to alter your route if there's a wreck. Busses don't have that flexibility.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,770 times
I take it to events like TurtleCreek described because I hate having to hunt down parking, and a lot of the time it costs more just to park than to ride the train.

From my home though it takes me 10 minutes at least to drive to the train station. There's no reason really for me to use it for daily or work purposes. If they ran the trains longer into the night I would use it all the time to go into Dallas and drink. It beats drinking and driving or taxis. Unfortunately, the bars are open quite longer than the train runs.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I take it to events like TurtleCreek described because I hate having to hunt down parking, and a lot of the time it costs more just to park than to ride the train.

From my home though it takes me 10 minutes at least to drive to the train station. There's no reason really for me to use it for daily or work purposes. If they ran the trains longer into the night I would use it all the time to go into Dallas and drink. It beats drinking and driving or taxis. Unfortunately, the bars are open quite longer than the train runs.
I wonder if DART has done any research into cost effectiveness of running the trains until 2/2:30, because I would also love to be able to train in and out for nights out. Maybe only Thurs-Sat maybe.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM

333 posts, read 639,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I wonder if DART has done any research into cost effectiveness of running the trains until 2/2:30, because I would also love to be able to train in and out for nights out. Maybe only Thurs-Sat maybe.
I would be happy with trains running every 30-45 minutes Thurs-Sat until 2:45 am or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas