Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

My friend has car that run just fine but the "Check Engine" light won't turn off. He has spend hundreds trying track down and fix it, but there really weren't any solutions. However, most of the reputable auto repairs guys won't let him pass inspection.

What I am looking for is an auto place that can make the inspection pass even with the check engine light on. Maybe with an extra tip of some kind. Anyone know of such auto repair shops in the North DFW area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 AM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
If it's a pre-95 (pre OBD II), you might be able to take a tailpipe test & pass that way. I can't recall how the law reads on that. If it's an OBD II car (95 to present), than no. The inspection machine reads the fault codes from the ECM and fails it automatically. I'm sure there are hack shops that would pass it, but a decent mechanic should be able to repair the car.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
I assume your friend had the KOEO and KOER codes read?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds to erase the code & check engine light. Take it there IMMEDIATELY! The light shouldn't come back on right away. It takes awhile for that.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds to erase the code & check engine light. Take it there IMMEDIATELY! The light shouldn't come back on right away. It takes awhile for that.
The law will not allow them to pass a car without I believe it is 50 or more miles on it since the sensor detected a total power removal from the vehicle. If the issue is significant enough it will occur again by then.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The law will not allow them to pass a car without I believe it is 50 or more miles on it since the sensor detected a total power removal from the vehicle. If the issue is significant enough it will occur again by then.
^^ They can read that the ECU has been reset.

What type of car and what are the codes? Throwing money at it never works, researching the code and figuring out what they mean does.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It needs to complete a drive cycle fault free.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
True...I've tried this myself when I only had 1 day left to get my car inspected. Didn't work My dad used to take the "teen taurus" (beater the line of teens in the family drove--had illegal tinting when we bought it) to a place down by Love. I think they did it as a favor to him, though.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
^^ They can read that the ECU has been reset.

What type of car and what are the codes? Throwing money at it never works, researching the code and figuring out what they mean does.
From what I have heard he has had the repair guys researched the code and repair the car. He does 3-4 repairs already and blew probably $1,000 on the car. Still the light doesn't turn off.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
From what I have heard he has had the repair guys researched the code and repair the car. He does 3-4 repairs already and blew probably $1,000 on the car. Still the light doesn't turn off.
I had a vehicle one time that wouldn't reset the flags even though it was fault free & the drive cycles had been completed. The ECM had an internal fault not allowing it to reset. I work on a specific brand of vehicle but it's all fairly similar. The shop that worked on it should warranty their work. If not, I'd contact the BBB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas