Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,517 times

Advertisements

No, it's pretty slow here. 5 is being generous, I'd give it more of a 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 AM

173 posts, read 402,009 times
2 different cities. FW is slower. I like the D pace, not too fast, but has enough going on.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,224 times
That would be a BIG NO.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM

325 posts, read 371,624 times
I agree with the 5-6 rating and the freeway comment. Grew up in a small town in East Texas, went to college in Dallas metro area, and Dallas seemed lightening-fast. Moved to L.A. for ten years, travelled to cities all over the world, now Dallas-Ft. Worth seems slow. Now it ain't called "cow town" for nothing. But still, believe it or not, I think driving in DFW is worse than Los Angeles. My theory is that people on L.A. freeways are just a little nicer because they don't know who might be packing a pistol.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 AM

85 posts, read 158,401 times
I would say that DFW is going at a nice pace.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 46,718 times
What is the point of reference?

I previously lived in SF, NYC, and Toronto. Compared to those, Dallas is a very slow, sprawling mass of strip malls and parking lots.

To me, "fast-paced big city" would imply things like street life - pedestrians, street vendors, food carts, side-walk entertainers, etc. Dallas doesn't have that. In many ways, its less of a city (in feel) than the suburbs of silicon valley.

But, compared to small towns, it probably feels big and busy.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylund View Post
What is the point of reference?

I previously lived in SF, NYC, and Toronto. Compared to those, Dallas is a very slow, sprawling mass of strip malls and parking lots.

To me, "fast-paced big city" would imply things like street life - pedestrians, street vendors, food carts, side-walk entertainers, etc. Dallas doesn't have that. In many ways, its less of a city (in feel) than the suburbs of silicon valley.

But, compared to small towns, it probably feels big and busy.
Yeah, it's all relative. Like that silly debate we had about is Dallas a hot weather city or cold weather city. The guy from AZ was adamant D is a cold weather city, where I have to laugh at such a ridiculous notion.

I don't think "fast" has anything to do with pedestrians or street vendors. I think it has to do with how pushy people are and how much they rush because they overbook themselves. Dallas people are significantly less pushy than other places I have been. I consider that a plus not a minus. The Rat Race may have an twisted ring of glamour, but it is just that, twisted.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

44 posts, read 127,873 times
Totally agree with Metro Matt.....City Convo...I laughed out loud when I read your reply....

Last edited by cwhodatiz; 03-10-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas