Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM

12 posts, read 37,415 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'll be moving to Texas from Chicago for a job in a few months. It's way early to be looking for a place, but I'm super-excited. The job is in Richardson, and I'm trying to get an idea for if it'd be better to live in Richardson, or to live in Dallas and commute. Since hubs will have to leave his job here, our upper limit for rent is about $700 for a 1 or 2 bedroom apt, which seems doable in Richardson. However, I have no idea what this neighborhood is like...and my husband and I have gotten pretty used to living car-free in Chicago. It looks like there are some light rail stops in Richardson, but I don't know what the commute time would be or if it would be feasible for hubs to hop on the train during the day to look around for work.
Soo...
What's Richardson like?
If we lived in Dallas proper, would we be be able to get by with one car for work, and use the DART for getting around otherwise? Or would we really need two cars whether we lived in Richardson or Dallas?
I've also heard that Texas has a lot of Michigan transplants. I grew up near Detroit, so if anyone knows if there's a place that's equivalent to, say, the Ferndale or Royal Oak of Dallas, that would be helpful too!
Thanks for any and all information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM

95 posts, read 211,793 times
I moved from Richardson to Portland OR about 8 months ago, and I am likely moving back. I LOVE LOVE the city of Richardson. Cannot say enough good things. But let me try to be objective:
1. schools are great
2. lots of diversity of race and culture (which I specifically look for)
3. it is an older suburb. in Richardson proper, most homes are old. You are looking for an apartment though, The new RIchardson Eastside at Cambell and 75 is great- little shops below the apartments, will be a slightly more urban feel that you might be used to from Chicago
4. If Eastside is too expensive, look at The Block, just downt he street. They are only about 7 years old, and may be a little cheaper

Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I love Richardson too. DH and I only have one car right now as he works at home and I have a short commute. It's no problem for him to take me to work on days he needs the car. I use public transport to go downtown now and then, but for the most part I drive everywhere. Public transport here is more about commuting than anything else.

I also love to walk for fun and exercise, and I'm within 1 mile from one shopping center with restaurants, some retail shopping etc, and a little less than 2 miles from the Kroger and Whole Foods shopping centers on Coit and Beltline. I've walked to both several times, but most people would drive.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM

333 posts, read 639,108 times
The Redline (public transit train) has several stops in Richardson. Richardson is one of my favorite suburbs. As said before, extremely diverse, great food. public transit. Dallas and Richardson are extremely close, I used to live in East Dallas and commute to Richardson daily. Traffic was always way worse going to opposite way. A little worse coming home. Prices in Richardson are great as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas