Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,882 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in the city of Greenville and I will be attending grad school at SMU beginning in the fall. We are a young couple without any children and would like to be near restaurants, shopping, night life etc. He doesn't mind a longer commute but I have heard driving from Dallas to Greenville is a LONG commute. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we should live? When we visited Dallas a few months ago we love the "M Street" area but that was before we knew he would be working in another city. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated - we are a little stressed trying to figure out where to be. We are looking to spend up to $300k on a house so not sure if that makes a difference but we are not very familiar with the DFW area.

Thank you!
KCL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLuc View Post
My husband will be working in the city of Greenville and I will be attending grad school at SMU beginning in the fall. We are a young couple without any children and would like to be near restaurants, shopping, night life etc. He doesn't mind a longer commute but I have heard driving from Dallas to Greenville is a LONG commute. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we should live? When we visited Dallas a few months ago we love the "M Street" area but that was before we knew he would be working in another city. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated - we are a little stressed trying to figure out where to be. We are looking to spend up to $300k on a house so not sure if that makes a difference but we are not very familiar with the DFW area.

Thank you!
KCL
Oy. That's a tough one. M Streets (or anywhere in central Dallas) to Greenville is going to be a consistent 70-90 minute slog each way.

I would recommend looking at Rockwall, a lakefront (Lake Ray Hubbard) suburb east of Dallas that is about mid-point between SMU & Greenville. It would be about 40 minutes to Greenville and about 35-40 minutes (not at rush hour times) to SMU. IN rush hour, it could take 60+ minutes to get to SMU so I'd think hard about your class schedule if possible. Rockwall's homes are mostly from the 1980's-2000's, so if you liked the charming historic homes of the M Streets, you won't find that. But it's a great place to live.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I was going to say Rockwall as well. It would be close to I-30 for both of you and it's really grown a lot in the last few years. The Harbor has great dining, shopping and even some fun nightlife. Across the lake where Bass Pro Shop is located there are a few dining options on the lake w/ back decks, live music, etc. Primo's, Flying Saucer, etc. The square in downtown Rockwall has really come alive in the last few years. There are arts/crafts fairs on the square often and the dining around the square is superb (Zanata's, Ava, Bin 303, etc). I also like Groovy Girls on the square for shopping.

As for housing in Rockwall you shoiuld be able to find something within your budget. You might even be able to find one of the quaint older homes in the downtown area. I love the older homes in the downtown Rockwall area. If you loved the M Streets in Dallas then I'd look around the downtown area and see if there is anything on the market that interests you.

As for the commute to Greenville, if there is an accident anywhere along I-30 between Rockwall and Greenville it's a major PITA!!!!!!! One happens about twice a year that really messes things up out that way.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
A coworker has the same issue, except he works in Plano and his wife works in Greenville. They now live in Princeton (east of McKinney), but are considering a move to Rockwall in case he ever works near downtown Dallas.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,882 times
Thanks for the suggestions. We haven't looked at Rockwall at all so maybe the next trip out there we will explore that area. Yeah we love the older homes so will check downtown rockwall.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Rockwall is a great town w/ a lot of city conveniences. At The Harbor during the spring and summer they have concerts on Thursday nights.
Summer Concert Series | Concert on the Lakes | Rockwall | The Harbor | The Harbor at Rockwall

It's probably your best bet to get somewhere for both of those commutes, the price range you are looking in and the charm of the older architecture.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
As others have said, Rockwall will be about the only place that will work for both of those drives. It's really a great place to live and there are nice older houses there.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I would have to agree with whats being said here. With your budget Rockwall is going to be your best bet. It's the best centrally located place for you and your hubby. M street location would be killer commute for your husband. I have a friend that lives in Mesquite and was a teacher for the Greenville school district. She just got a job at a charter school in Dallas and is elated she no longer has to make that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas