Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM

469 posts, read 886,593 times

Advertisements

check out this
The 11 Most Expensive Cities In America (PHOTOS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 AM

72 posts, read 274,114 times
How could Austin not be on that list?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
Are the people who made that list idiots? I could name 100 more expensive cities. And they say Dallas has high utilities costs? I pay 9 cents per kilowatt. Morons.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM

93 posts, read 244,962 times
Yeah, definitely not cheap. But much cheaper than the three larger metro areas (New York, LA, Chicago). It ends up being cheap if you can earn a salary similar to what you could earn in those three metros (such as 160k for a mega law firm, for example). One couldn't generally earn that kind of salary in a truly cheap area.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
I can't believe Dallas is #11. That makes no sense to me at all.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,666 times
The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Houston is $1800? LMAO. I'm going to assume that the data used for these rankings are incomplete at best.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Are the people who made that list idiots? I could name 100 more expensive cities. And they say Dallas has high utilities costs? I pay 9 cents per kilowatt. Morons.
I could name 100 more expensive cities, but obviously when they say high utility cost they don't mean per kilowatt, they mean total. With the horrible summers (And then a couple weeks of freak winter weather), costs are high. You use thousands of kilowatts. I think that's the point. I pay 7.7 cents per kilowatt here, and paid more in CA. However it would have cost less to heat/cool a 3700 sq ft in SF Bay Area, California than my 3700 sq. ft home here because of the weather. Monthly (most months) and definitely yearly more cash comes out of my pocket here to pay electricity.

I DON'T think that makes Dallas the 11th most expensive city to live in the US, BUT there is a point that people spend a lot on electricity per month especially in June/July/August/September and whatever month ends up having the freak winter week (January or February usually).

Hell if we are going on utility costs and how much you need to spend monthly/yearly, Phoenix should be there easily. Even the hotter parts of California would/could beat out Dallas.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Houston is $1800? LMAO. I'm going to assume that the data used for these rankings are incomplete at best.

That list is as bogus as can be. Most folks don't pay $1800 for a mortgage.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:54 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
That list is as bogus as can be. Most folks don't pay $1800 for a mortgage.
The list is bogus because there was no consistent data measured for all cities- each city was "cherry picked" for one stat or another.

That being said, Dallas IS a lot more expensive than most relo's anticipate:
-sky high auto insurance due to so many uninsured motorists
-very high home insurance rates
- very high property tax rates to off-set no income tax and to support county hospitals where hundreds of thousands of uninsured Dallasites use the ER as a common doctor's office and to support schools with many illegal students whose parents don't pay taxes into the system
-very high sales tax to off-set no income tax
-high electricity usage due to needing a/c from May-Sept
-high health insurance rates for many companies/employees due to high health insurance costs (lawsuits & illegals using those county ER's)
-high toll rates on the growing number of tollroads- and going up another +6% this weekend

DFW is a great place to live, but it's not without it's own set of problems and costs- whether monetary (taxes, insurance, etc) or time (the 60 minute commute from the affordable suburb with good schools into the city). To get a good school district in the city will cost a minimum of $300k up to $800k for the smallest family homes in the good in-town school districts & zones. That's not cheap- and fairly comparable to all other major cities outside the few super expensive ones like NYC, San Fran, and DC.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The list is bogus because there was no consistent data measured for all cities- each city was "cherry picked" for one stat or another.

That being said, Dallas IS a lot more expensive than most relo's anticipate:
-sky high auto insurance due to so many uninsured motorists
-very high home insurance rates
- very high property tax rates to off-set no income tax and to support county hospitals where hundreds of thousands of uninsured Dallasites use the ER as a common doctor's office and to support schools with many illegal students whose parents don't pay taxes into the system
-very high sales tax to off-set no income tax
-high electricity usage due to needing a/c from May-Sept
-high health insurance rates for many companies/employees due to high health insurance costs (lawsuits & illegals using those county ER's)
-high toll rates on the growing number of tollroads- and going up another +6% this weekend

DFW is a great place to live, but it's not without it's own set of problems and costs- whether monetary (taxes, insurance, etc) or time (the 60 minute commute from the affordable suburb with good schools into the city). To get a good school district in the city will cost a minimum of $300k up to $800k for the smallest family homes in the good in-town school districts & zones. That's not cheap- and fairly comparable to all other major cities outside the few super expensive ones like NYC, San Fran, and DC.

So true, when I think of living in Dallas I think more of living in the DFW area. Living in the city proper is alot more expensive than most would realize. I would love to live in the city limits but for my budget there are not many nice neighborhoods I could call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas